Put Deposit down on a New Bike today

Brings back great memories when I rode my 600cc Triumph back in the 70s. Now I'm 86 and had to give up riding due to loss of balance due to the unexpected. :cry:

Did you pay extra for the pack that includes heated grips and such?
Yes, I did purchase the full Tech Pack as well. It sucks KTM charges to keep the features, but also nothing else in this price point has cruise control and uses an advanced Bosch IMU system to control the traction control and ABS.

My second choice was the Suzuki 800 DE but cruise wasn’t even an option on that bike, nor does it have an IMU.

Great pictures! Congrats on the new ride. Friends who have had KTMs speak very highly of their reliability. I wouldn’t worry a bit.
That’s good to hear.

I know earlier 2019 790s had sporadic cam issues. I spoke with a KTM tech and supposedly KTM redesigned the head slightly to allow for better oil flow and the soft cam issue has been resolved. He recommended not buying a 2019, but a new one should be fine.

He also advised to change the oil more often than 9300mi KTM suggests. He suggested a “normal” interval akin to the Japanese manufacturers of 3-4K miles per OCI.

Congrats, it's always exciting to get a new bike. Looks like a nice machine. Start a thread and keep us posted on your trip. Still have my 60th Annv XSR900. One of the funest bikes I've owned.

Congrats, it's always exciting to get a new bike. Looks like a nice machine. Start a thread and keep us posted on your trip. Still have my 60th Annv XSR900. One of the funest bikes I've owned.

That’s awesome you still have yours. Keep it! I regret selling mine. It was a great bike. If I found it again I’d probably try to buy it. I’m sure it has tons of miles by now as it had 16k when I sold it.

I pickup the bike today. I’ll post an update in the next few days.

I’ve heard the 10w50 Motorex used isn’t the best oil in regards to shear stability.

Cool bike... kick it and wick it...

All oils will show some degree of shear during their service but
Blackstone's used oil report data has affirmed there are no reason to
fear the shear because as our oil shears flow increases without the
dreaded increase in wear... our oil serves as a "wall" only when it is
constantly FLOWING between parts keeping them from touching...

Typically synthetics are more shear stable than mineral based oils because they are more pure...

full-45634-36928-syntheticmineral_oil2.png

Last edited:
Cool bike... kick it and wick it...

All oils will show some degree of shear during their service but
Blackstone's used oil report data has affirmed there are no reason to
fear the shear because as our oil shears flow increases without the
dreaded increase in wear... our oil serves as a "wall" only when it is
constantly FLOWING between parts keeping them from touching...

Typically synthetics are more shear stable than mineral based oils because they are more pure...

full-45634-36928-syntheticmineral_oil2.png
I don't know, that large particle looks like it would mesh nicely with the gear teeth...

congrats! you could have bought one of my triumphs 19 scram just over a thou miles + my 18 1200 with alpinas around 10 thou on it as i QUIT riding at 76YO!! i am in Pa both like NEW!!!

I’ve been in the market for another bike to do some commuting as well as another cross country tour. Wanted something light for daily use yet powerful enough to do a 6k mile trip.

I took a trip across the U.S. on an XSR900 Naked bike (regrettably sold) in 2017 with my uncle and I’m aiming to do it again. This time with my younger brother at his request. I told him if he buys a bike I’d go with him rain or shine. He took his abate and bought a bike so it was time to keep my word and buy another bike.

I set my budget at $12k for a new and modern upright all rounder. I looked at and sat on the Vstrom 800DE, Honda Transalp, and the Triumph Tiger 660.

Ultimately I ended up throwing a leg over the KTM 790 ADV and it just “felt right”. Fast forward a couple of weeks of bargaining and I put a deposit down on a new 24 KTM 790 ADV.

I’ve never owned a KTM and I’m sure it isn’t Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha reliable, but it just felt the best to me. I almost bought a Vstrom anyway because of reliability, but my soul just wanted the KTM after sitting on it. It just “felt natural”

It also has the most power of the choices and should keep me entertained as my old XSR900 was no slouch.

KTM is offering 2 extra years of warranty for a total of a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty if you let a dealer do the 600mi service and one service per year at Manual specified intervals or 9300mi whichever comes first. I will definitely be doing one or two changes in between that time as I’ve heard the 10w50 Motorex used isn’t the best oil in regards to shear stability.

I pick the bike up on Thursday and I’m excited to get back on two wheels.

I will create an update post when I have it home.

Attached is a stock photo of the KTM and some from my previous cross country trip on the XSR

View attachment 219400

View attachment 219401

View attachment 219402

View attachment 219403
Congrat’s on the new ride, enjoy it, it’s beautiful.

Back