Purolator Pure One 5700 oci pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
23-25 city 32-35 hwy

I had the timing chain done the day I bought the car. Car had 120k when I bought it. Dropped pan and did atf fluid and filter on as well.

Wife really likes the car and we hope to have it a long time.

Gm is having a few issues on timing chains on overhead cam engines. That is one of the things that the magical dexos is supposed to fix also.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Gm is having a few issues on timing chains on overhead cam engines. That is one of the things that the magical dexos is supposed to fix also.

I haven't kept up to date on the Ecotec chain-breaking issue but when I read up on this the prevailing thought was that it was the tensioning system causing the porblem, not a lube issue.

At least thats what my uncle was told when he bought one with a rebuilt engine (at 55K) they told him that a redesigned tensioning system was installed and there was no reason to worry about it...

Has this been revised in the past couple of years?

You would think a cam chain would be a no-brainer reliable system ... but from my experiences they are not. I've seen way more cam chain & tensioner system issues (and re-call/redesigns) on vehicles and motorcycles than belt driven cam systems.

I do know that the revised timing chain kits have a revised oil spout with a larger diameter opening to increase oil flow to the chain. I'm not sure about the revised tensioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back