Purolator Classic Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
No spring or does the concavity of the guts take care of that?

Practice embedding on the next set and keep them coming.

Classics almost always look good, no wonder they are so popular here.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Actually the classic has more defect posts than any other filter on BITOG. But it gets the
01.gif
regardless.

I'd actually thought I'd seen more P1's with issues on here than Classics, maybe not. I guess I have seen some bad seams on the Classics. Either way I have also noticed the crowd here is much more forgiving as long as the filter is not orange ha ha.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Actually the classic has more defect posts than any other filter on BITOG. But it gets the
01.gif
regardless.

I'd actually thought I'd seen more P1's with issues on here than Classics, maybe not. I guess I have seen some bad seams on the Classics. Either way I have also noticed the crowd here is much more forgiving as long as the filter is not orange ha ha.
laugh.gif

Tme majority of people that post here just don't use orange at all anymore ;-) Its probably not fair to Puro to just say it has the most defects posted here. Its also one of (if not THE) most used filters here. Its the ratio of total used to to defects, not just the raw number of defects that matters.

That said, I've kinda drifted away from P-classics and P1's now myself. No big flaws, just a minor one, and I think that came from using a P1 on a rather long OCI. I'm currently using synthetic media filters- either Royal Purple (built by Champion) or Puro Synthetic. We'll see how they look after a full OCI on a few different cars.

Hmmm never heard of a bypass in the engine. I wonder what psi it gets activated and if all filters can handle said pressure. Would make me want to go OEM on that engine. Unless it was ACDELCO

Originally Posted By: Mullick2001
Hmmm never heard of a bypass in the engine. I wonder what psi it gets activated and if all filters can handle said pressure. Would make me want to go OEM on that engine. Unless it was ACDELCO
I think pretty much all GM vehicles have the bypass valve in the engine block. Good place for it as it simplifies the filter construction. My son't Chevy S10 and my Chevy motorhome both have bypass in the engine block.

If you buy a filter from a reputable company it will be designed to handle the manufacturer's specifications which include bypass valve setting. Wix is a particularly good brand.

I got a Purolator and a Motorcraft filter for my Son's S10 pickup and from all appearances outside, and what I can see though the hole, they are identical but for the labeling. My plan is to cut them both open after use and compare the internals. Maybe be a long time though as he does not rack up a lot of miles.

Quote:
Actually the classic has more defect posts than any other filter on BITOG......

Spoken like a true orange can fan with an agenda (3 consecutive negative posts in one thread). Or one that's in denial about it.
wink.gif
And of course no specific reference to the OP's Classic here which looks fine and for $3.27 everyday even less to find fault with.

You must be disappointed the endcaps didn't fall off, course same thing was seen on a Denso recently and there was general agreement it was no issue.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: Mullick2001

I believe the filter bypass valve built into the engine block opens around 10 psi. I tried finding the opening spec in my factory service manual, but it was never listed.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Actually the classic has more defect posts than any other filter on BITOG......

Spoken like a true orange can fan with an agenda (3 consecutive negative posts in one thread). Or one that's in denial about it.
wink.gif
And of course no specific reference to the OP's Classic here which looks fine and for $3.27 everyday even less to find fault with.

You must be disappointed the endcaps didn't fall off, course same thing was seen on a Denso recently and there was general agreement it was no issue.

Thanks for the pics.

Dude stop trolling and harassing me. Just say what you gotta say. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
01.gif
regardless.

laugh.gif

lol.gif
Thats was the only reason why I commented. Anyways for the classic the failure threads are mostly filter tears which IMO is not a big deal vs. a blockage. Like this for example.
DSCF7137a.jpg

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2260902&page=1

Its the loss of oil pressure that I'm afraid of. After a Napa Gold filter failure 2 years ago I keep a classic in my trunk.
laugh.gif
Thats right a classic. Wish they'd sell P1's at Walmart, I'd buy them. I like going to get the oil and filter at one shot.

Wish they'd sell P1's at Walmart, I'd buy them. I like going to get the oil and filter at one shot.

WM has plenty of FRAM on the shelves.
shocked2.gif

Its the loss of oil pressure that I'm afraid of. After a Napa Gold filter failure 2 years ago I keep a classic in my trunk.
laugh.gif
Thats right a classic. Wish they'd sell P1's at Walmart, I'd buy them. I like going to get the oil and filter at one shot.

Hey, that's my torn Classic.
smile.gif
The only way you could lose oil pressure is if the failure caused media to go down into the engine's oiling system and clogged up an oil passage.

That's why I hate eCore filters ... because if the media does blow out, the center core will not prevent the media from going into the engine. With a classical metal center tube design with lots of small holes, the media can't get by the center core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back