Purolater Classic 9k miles 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
...Oh well, maybe in about 2 more years I'll have a D+ with ~15,000 on it to look at... unless you guys get me freaked out enough to replace it... sooner...

Suppose you can let the chicken little's influence your decision.

Otoh, there's the BD+3323 run 13.5k miles, 20 months and two oci's that seems to have worked quite nicely for me.

Bosch Distance Plus 3323/2oci's/13.5k miles

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
...Oh well, maybe in about 2 more years I'll have a D+ with ~15,000 on it to look at... unless you guys get me freaked out enough to replace it... sooner...

Suppose you can let the chicken little's influence your decision.

Otoh, there's the BD+3323 run 13.5k miles, 20 months and two oci's that seems to have worked quite nicely for me.

Bosch Distance Plus 3323/2oci's/13.5k miles

Yep, I even posted in that one... I'm joking anyway, I'm going to run it 2 OCI's, it is got about 6500 on it now...

Haven't really noticed any Purolator bashing, and when I did an extensive survey a while back the top 3 filters in use here on BITOG were all Puro made.

But this is a thread with a Puro with a hole in the media, not sure what kind of comments could be expected, especially since this isn't the first one by any means.

I still think a Classic is one of the best everyday bargain filters you'll find, but as we continue to cut them here they are not looking like best choice for extended drains. And they shouldn't be, they are an entry level offering and not intended or marketed for extended use at all. The fact that any of them make it to 10k+ is a testimony to their value for normal use.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Haven't really noticed any Purolator bashing, and when I did an extensive survey a while back the top 3 filters in use here on BITOG were all Puro made.

But this is a thread with a Puro with a hole in the media, not sure what kind of comments could be expected, especially since this isn't the first one by any means.

When I had a media tear in a Classic, I concluded that the media was much more "brittle" than the media Purolator uses in the PureOne. With feedback from customers who have found media tears, I'm hoping they also contact Purolator and inform them. If something is wrong with the design, then they might improve it in the future. Same goes with any brand filter ... should always report failures to the manufacturer so they can see what's going on in the field.

We have no ability to know when/how the media was torn. It could have been defective right out of the box. It may have torn after 2k miles, or 8.9k miles. We have zero ability to tie the event of the tear to any duration of the FCI.

Don't jump to conclusions here, folks.

I have run PCs out to 10k miles and they were fine when dissected. This one was not. But how/why it happened is a total SWAG and nothing more.

Last edited:
Other than the usual acronym, I hadn't really noticed any significant Fram bashing in this thread either. Apparently though as moderation was involved in this thread, someone felt it necessary to contact a mod about Fram bashing in this thread that took it OT. Really?

I have no problem being critical of a negative Puro anecdote as in this filter. It's pretty much expected. But, when one is critical and then complains about a comment as a Fram bash and OT, that's a different matter altogether.

That said, it's obvious to me at least, the poster I alluded to that seems to go out his way to use any Puro anecdote, negative or positive as an opportunity to shill for his favorite brand, not Puro. I didn't see anyone notifying a mod about taking the thread off topic, when that has occured numerous times in the past. Perhaps Puro bash was extreme, but so was Fram bash to OT in this thread imo. That was more the point.

Wow this thread sort of went nuts. I wasn't especially unhappy with the fact there was a tiny hole in the media. I doubt it hurt a thing. I was just going by the OLM on the car and I changed it at 20% life remaining. I will use a nicer filter from now on. Only reason I used a classic to begin with is it was what I had on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Wow this thread sort of went nuts. I wasn't especially unhappy with the fact there was a tiny hole in the media. I doubt it hurt a thing. I was just going by the OLM on the car and I changed it at 20% life remaining. I will use a nicer filter from now on. Only reason I used a classic to begin with is it was what I had on the shelf.

What filter will you be using from now on?

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Not surprised at all. Not sure why people have to run cheap filters to the point where they start to fall apart...buy a decent filter, or change out the cheaper filter sooner. Your engine suffered more wear than it had too, probably not much, but it was unnecessary.

umm so by that logic why are you running a Fram tough guard and a Honda-A02 (Fram OCOD) on your cars and not something like the Fram Ultra or Bosch D+?

The tough guard is an excellent filter as is the Honda OEM, it bears no relation to the OCOD.

Well, this is an obvious failure. Does it indicate a generalized problem with Classics? I doubt it. While 9+K miles is probably a little outside the envelope (I think it's safely a 7.5K filter), we've see as many miles or more fro these filters with no problems. Finding a cause is difficult. It's most likely a defective filter but it's possible the engine is hard on them. If that's the case, I think a step up to a premium filter might be in order just in case. To me, that would be a full synthetic, lofted media filter (Fram Ultra, Puro Synthetic, Napa Platinum, etc.). I hope this doesn't turn into a lot of hyperventilating. Stuff happens and even good filter fail sometimes. Granted, we have see a few Puro failures lately and in the case where a cure was requested, their reaction was less than stellar. All that should be factored in when choosing the filter. Maybe a Puro "time-out" is in order?

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Not surprised at all. Not sure why people have to run cheap filters to the point where they start to fall apart...buy a decent filter, or change out the cheaper filter sooner. Your engine suffered more wear than it had too, probably not much, but it was unnecessary.

umm so by that logic why are you running a Fram tough guard and a Honda-A02 (Fram OCOD) on your cars and not something like the Fram Ultra or Bosch D+?

Shots fired!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Well I put a Pure1 back on it. Guess I will cut it open after this OCI and see how it did.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Well I put a Pure1 back on it. Guess I will cut it open after this OCI and see how it did.

Surprised you went back to purolator, but i think it will be okay. If the Pureone develops holes you know your going to need a synthetic filter for the hot running Northstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back