PureONE vs Mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since PureONE is now coating there filters with that gold [censored] and its causing all sorts of quality issues, im curious what is a better filter based on the following. I was thinking Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

Filtration
Flow
ADBV
Media

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Bummer. We were using the PL14612 on my son's motorcycle because it's that nice sparkly blue color (matches his motorcycle). I see (from the website) that they're now sparkly GOLD. Time to switch to the L14612 and a can of spray paint.
21.gif

Either one would do you fine,the M1 is readily available OC so
no wait on shipping,and a few buck's cheaper too..

Wix from fleet filter.com is just as good as the Pure One's and I don't think anyone would really dispute that. Plus, you can get them for dirt cheap from the site's sponsor. I just bought about 20 oil filters, and it would have cost me about 100 bucks more from local sources.

I personally think the whole gold coating thing is being blown out of proportion. I highly doubt it's going to hurt anything. The AAP Total Grip's had the same coating and I saw the little red flakes and I just simply wiped them off the gasket and base plate, and was good to go.

Quote:

Filtration
Flow
ADBV
Media

PureOne/M1/EaO

Good/Better/Best
Doesn't matter/Doesn't matter/Doesn't matter (in most measures)
Silicon/Silicon/Silicon
54.gif

Good/Better/Best

Well, they may have a "shaking out" period before they get it right. I don't think that you'll always see the flakes appearing in PureOne filters.

What toast my buns (imagine me showing you a flame about bun high) is that the evolution to the grip stuff made AA take the TG off the shelf. That was a great BOGO item. Purolator obviously saw the higher volume throughput that the TG had over their PP and P1 offerings, and attributed it to the grip stuff ..and instead of merely coming up with their own TG in the same price range, decided to up the ante if you want grip stuff on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
I know I always buy my oil filters based on what color the can is painted!

Oh yea??? me too!!!!
11.gif

Personally, I buy my oil filters based off quality of build, and the latest PureONES in my opinion are subpar for the same price.

I enjoy a oil filter that doesn't have excessive amounts of metal shavings and paint flakes already in the media, nor do I like that in oil circulating around my engine.

For peace of mind, I'll gladly purchase something else until im satisfied purolator has fixed such issues, which im sure they will.

I've looked inside my Total Grips and haven't found any red particles inside the filter, I just saw a few little specs on the gasket and baseplate, nothing for me to lose sleep over. I just wiped them off and went on with it. -shrugs-

Sorry, but I don't see where the flakes are in the media in those pics... Looks like it's just on the baseplate/gasket, easily wiped off.
21.gif

Last edited:
This whole Gold Flake thing is being blown WAAAAYYY out of proportion. I went and looked at 5 boxes of the P1 filters.
Opened them all, and not a single one had any issues whatsoever with flakes getting into the media.
I'm not saying that it can't and doesn't happen. Just not on what I saw.
And if it does happen I seriously doubt its going to cause any catastrophic results.
The quality of the internals is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back