Pump shotgun or Taurus Judge for home defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mikefxu
http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php
super_shorty_870.jpg

Ahhh, yesssss! The modern blunderbuss. That could work nicely!

I'd still prefer 20 rounds in an accurate, reliable pistol.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Secure solid residence.

Dogs.

Alarm system. Layered if possible.

Locked up goodies.

Other layered security as to fit the situation/area.

I say a decent handgun that you REALLY know how to use, with a short quick rifle, an AR, AK or even lever gun in 44Mag or 357Mag for human protection or evil unknown intent protection.

Good points. Layered protection. Start from far out and work yourself inward with the final protection being an armed self. Most scumbags will realize that you are serious about defending your home and back off if you do it that way. I'm in the process of doing what I subscribe right now. I have a short 12 gauge in my bedroom but I always have my .357 on my nightstand right next to me when I sleep. If my indoor dogs wake me, I know somethings up. I'l be making improvements to the whole thing soon. It's really disgusting that this is a part of life now in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
If your life depends on it, you will do research.
If your life depends on it, you will train.

This is a site that takes many days to read though.
However, it is a very well written and analyzed site relating to firearm myths, and penetration studies.

I find it very interesting how many myths that have no basis on reality have become "common knowledge". This goes double for anything related to firearms.

Know your options, know the laws of the land, know what you are capable of, and what you choose to defend yourself with is capable of.
Your life may depend on it.

For your reading pleasure:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Well put by Super Dave 456!
I have paid for 1/2 hour of a lawyer's time to go over the legal ramifications of a SD shooting. It is a wise investment for anyone to get the "straight skinny" about YOUR JURISDICTION vs. everyone else's. I was also advised what to say, what not to say, and what the police would most likely do with me if that happened.
One other note. We had a saying in the Army,"Train as you will fight". For you at home, this means also shooting with your "off" hand, and being able to get back on target for a follow-up shot quickly.
You are better off defending; as the BG has the initiative of time, place, and method of attack. Even if you have military or police training; you are alone and they fight and maneuver as a team.
One last thing. I found this tip a winner. Tie a key to the front door to a fishing lure and have it in your defensive position (a.k.a. bedroom). When the cops arrive, you can tell them on the phone to come to the window and throw out the key to them to open the door. If the BG is still in your house, now he/they are caught between a p.o'd and frightened homeowner with a shotgun and the police. They'll probably take their chances with the cops because they're least likely to be shot if they surrender.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/51777/Taurus+4410+Judge+4%22+Matte+SS+3%22+Chamber
Buds wants $492 for a Judge.....

That's great for Bud, I guess, but what I have are these:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_493561_-1__?N=39632047

loaded with a combination of Bitteroot Valley 300 grain "Bear Load" hollowpoints and Brenneke "close encounter" slugs.

I'm pretty sure these will at least hurt a little bit if someone is unfortunate enough to get a face / chest / gut full at close range.

Of course snubbie's are not an ideal choice for "combat" or a "gunfight", lol, but this one hides in a car or a pocket as easy as any other big bore snubbie.

I realize everyone thinks you should take the defensive stance and withdraw from danger gun in 1 hand cell phone in the other. Under the right circumstances I agree, meaning the whole family is in the room with you.

That being said, for those of us with small children I am not going to hope everything at the other end of the house will turn out ok while I wait in my room gun in hand. Rather I will be moving forward clearing rooms until I am sure there is no threat or it is neutralized.

I always have at least 1 rottweiler for a family pet.

I am not a fan of 00 buck,only 9 pellets,I love #1 buck,still .30 dia. and 16 pellets.Good for close range and will hold a pattern out to 40yds so you do not have to spray and pray.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
That racking noise just lets him know you aren't prepared.

Indeed.

Now he knows where you are,what you're armed with,and that you aren't ready to dance.

You just threw any tactical advantage you had right out the window.

I don't care about tactical advantage, I'd just want them to leave.

And in my house, which is an old creaky house and an open concept one at that, by the time I got out of bed they already know where I am. Heck, the dog will have gone down to "greet" them too.

Well put. A 12 or 20 gauge pump with 00 buckshot is the ticket. Bird shot is not reliable for HD. It is literally for the birds! Shoot some skeet or trap, or hand-thrown clays -heck, go upland bird hunting!- and that shotgun will handle beautifully and instinctively when it really counts.

Spend a bit of time shooting at paper at typical in-house distances, and you'll see how little shot spreads out. Doesn't bring the word "sweeping" to mind. What a shotgun gives you is the capacity to make a conclusive and perhaps concluding ballistic statement in HD. No handgun approaches this degree of RAW stopping power.

While I did not always agree with his many opinions, in my one treasured and too-short conversation with the late, great shooter Col. Jeff Cooper, we did quickly discover hat we shared an important viewpoint, namely that in self-defense a handgun is simply what you employ while you are in the process of retrieving a truly effective weapon - a rifle or shotgun! A handgun is a weapon of convenience, not choice.

The Judge is a bad idea (and spare the snakes). The Judge is a solution in search of a problem. When that problem is finally discovered, we'll finally realize the Judge is actually the wrong solution. It is a novelty and a gimmick. Would anyone want to use a .410 pump shotgun for HD? No-so,why is it suddenly so magical when the round is loaded into a revolver? If you want to send multiple projectiles from a revolver toward an assailant, try pulling the trigger a few times. Guaranteed to be much more effective!

Originally Posted By: Cup of Joe
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The little click of the safety on a 1911......

Double action revolver no click.........
I don't have a problem with revolvers, but the average mouthbreather lowlife can figure out how to use one should he be lucky enough to take it away from you, while the same mouthbreather may stare dumbly at a Browning design auto unless the safe is off, there is a round in the chamber, and the hammer is back. The grip safety will really confuse him. A small child can figure out a "cowboy" pistol, but probably doesn't have the hand strength and control to chamber a round in an auto, or understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back