Providing oil filter for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general opinion on providing your own oil filter when taking your car to a dealer or somewhere else for an oil change? Dealer uses AC Delco and as you can see in my signature my filter of choice is Mobil 1. But do to where I now live I cannot change it myself.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: 2James1
What is the general opinion on providing your own oil filter when taking your car to a dealer or somewhere else for an oil change? Dealer uses AC Delco and as you can see in my signature my filter of choice is Mobil 1. But do to where I now live I cannot change it myself.
mad.gif

You are the customer.

Most places won't mind, some might. What's the price difference between an M1 and an AC Delco? For a 4,000 mile OCI, are you really getting enough out of the M1 filter to justify any premium you're paying over an AC?

You can use any filter you like. Just let them know when you drop the car off. They may or may not discount the oil change.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Most places won't mind, some might. What's the price difference between an M1 and an AC Delco? For a 4,000 mile OCI, are you really getting enough out of the M1 filter to justify any premium you're paying over an AC?

I maybe as obsessive about the filter as I am about the oil but after reading about the Mobil 1 filter I really like the micron efficiency of it. I like the Purolater PureOne as well and have used it. Have heard some concerns of restriction with it tho.

Whatever floats your boat. I think that's a bit of overkill, but that wasn't your question and I could look in the mirror and find instances of the same...

It's your car, and you're paying them to do the maintenance. Provide whatever filter you choose for them to use and don't expect/ask for a discount, since they probably don't pay much for the AC Delco's to begin with.

Do it all the time. I work 6-7 days a week, 10-12hrs a day. I do not feel like crawling under a car at the end of the day.

Last I checked AC Delco: $4.19 vs. Mobil 1: $12.99. From what I have heard and read on this forum AC Delco as went down in quality a lot tho. Almost as bad as the OCOD according to some people Scary.
eek.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Even if you chose a different filter, let the shop provide it. That way you're covered without question if there is a problem.

Do you know of reputable shops that provide quality filters? e.g. Mobil 1, Purolater PureOne

I know pep boys has the Mobil 1 but i would leave missing an arm or a leg (maybe both) if i had them do it with a Mobil 1 filter.

Do you bring your own steak into Outback?

We have customers bring in their own oil and filter all the time, they just pay the labor for the oil change and hazmat fee and go. There isn't much profit in oil changes anyway.

Check and see what the shop would charge you for them to get the filter themselves. Might be cheaper, might cost the same, either way its on them if the thing goes South.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Have heard some concerns of restriction with it tho.

Those claims are unfounded.

Thank you. After reading that makes me feel that the pureone is an even better value than I previously thought.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Do it all the time.

May I ask what types of places you take your vehicle to for oil changes?

A couple of years ago, I was between houses with a job transfer and living in corporate housing for about 6 months. I tried to have a local Firestone use a NIB OEM Toyota filter I brought and they flat out refused to use it.

According to them, there insurance would not warranty the oil change if something went wrong regardless if it was filter related or not.

i would stick with the AC Delco, there filters are very good. i use the PF48 on my 2010 Avalanche , quality oil filter imho...m-1 is over-rated imho.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fxrider
i would stick with the AC Delco, there filters are very good. i use the PF48 on my 2010 Avalanche , quality oil filter imho...m-1 is over-rated imho.
smile.gif

Funny, I do the opposite of the OP. I bring a Delco filter if I have the oil changed anywhere except home or at the dealer. I use cartridge filters and the Delcos are excellent.

mad.gif

I must beg the question

WHYYYYYYYYYY can't you change it yourself now? Is there a law prohibiting the changing of your own oil? If so, I say - BOYCOTT!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back