Progressive insurance - non-customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got home from meeting with the manager of the body shop that I trust to repair the truck correctly (the same shop that repaired my truck 18 months ago). The manager said that we could request that the Progressive adjuster inspect the truck at our convenience, and that they should do so.

He says that the truck *IS* repairable and that he has no problem in playing hardball (if need be) with Progressive to get everything that it takes to get it repaired correctly.

Of course, this isn't the manager's first time dealing with Progressive, nor will it be the last time that he does either.

He warned me that Progressive will write a low-ball repair estimate, and then they'll try to convince us to have it repaired at the body shop of their choice. That's not going to happen.

Of course, Progressive wants to get everything done as absolutely cheaply as possible. I want it fixed right.

He doesn't expect any need to resort to subrogation at this point, but if it comes to that, then we can always go that route if need be. He said that Dad's insurance company is a good one, and would handle a subrogation case well if it came to that.

Anything is repairable. Question is whether it makes sense to do so or not without it being totaled. Amazing to see some of the cars that go though insurance auctions.

Agree that it isn't up to progressive to inconvenience you - they should come to you, not the other way around.

My insurer is Progressive and worked out well for myself at least especially with savings.

Recently my wife's car was hit by an uninsured driver. Progressive adjuster did ask me to go to a local shop that was close and their "Preferred Shop". Oddly they did not use anything at the shop but parking lot and waiting room for me to wait.

The estimate/check was decent I found out. My wife took it to a quality body shop that specializes in BMW, MB, Jag and Subaru and found Progressive had an additional 30% over. Interestingly enough the claim rep stated if they find more simply call them and ask for more.

I have always found Progressive estimates to be somewhat higher than what I end up paying.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
My insurer is Progressive and worked out well for myself at least especially with savings.

Recently my wife's car was hit by an uninsured driver. Progressive adjuster did ask me to go to a local shop that was close and their "Preferred Shop". Oddly they did not use anything at the shop but parking lot and waiting room for me to wait.

The estimate/check was decent I found out. My wife took it to a quality body shop that specializes in BMW, MB, Jag and Subaru and found Progressive had an additional 30% over. Interestingly enough the claim rep stated if they find more simply call them and ask for more.

I have always found Progressive estimates to be somewhat higher than what I end up paying.

And Progressive is taking care of you, since you're their customer.

But when it is someone who has been hit by a Progressive insured, and they don't have a customer that they need to keep happy.... Progressive's procedure apparently is to cut all corners possible, respond slowly, and make the claims process inconvenient.

What a great way to do business.

If you are unhappy with the speed of things, subrogate. It is very simple and your parents likely pay for it if they have full insurance.

If you are unhappy with the speed of things, subrogate. It is very simple and your parents likely pay for it if they have full insurance.

We shouldn't have to, but the body shop understands that as soon as Progressive doesn't give them what they need to properly repair the truck, then we'll subrogate it.

The accident was on May 6th, and Progressive still hasn't inspected the truck, and won't do so until the Tuesday the 17th.

That's real speedy service, isn't it? Boy, they just zip all over town in those Escapes with their name plastered all over them.

Progressive Insurance is all marketing and hype. Very little more than that.

I would never, ever, ever go with Progressive insurance. The reasons, buth insurance related and not directly insurance related, have been mentioned in this thread already.

I have been mostly happy with eSurance when I had them for a couple years. Had one hit and run and they took care of it mostly to my satisfaction. Otherwise I've either had General Casualty (only write in about 15-20 states - not KY where I live now) or Travelers. Very, very happy with both. Also had an incident where a driver dented our vehicle in a parking lot, and was nice enough to go into the restaurant and find the owner of the car they just dented (my wife was in there). They had I think Security insurance. No issues getting that incident resolved with that insurance company.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

We shouldn't have to, but the body shop understands that as soon as Progressive doesn't give them what they need to properly repair the truck, then we'll subrogate it.

The accident was on May 6th, and Progressive still hasn't inspected the truck, and won't do so until the Tuesday the 17th.

That's real speedy service, isn't it? Boy, they just zip all over town in those Escapes with their name plastered all over them.

Progressive Insurance is all marketing and hype. Very little more than that.

When, alas, I have the need, I ALWAYS make the claim through my own company, and let them play the subro game. I "eat" (maybe "snack upon"...) my deductible until my company makes the recovery from the other company. This works very well for a couple reasons. First, MY company (USAA) has an interest in keeping me happy (at least slightly more so than the adverse company, which couldn't care less). Second, this is part of what we pay for in our premiums. Let the insurance company employees duke out the details as I'm picking up my fixed car (fixed at a shop of MY choosing). And once USAA gets the money, via subro, from the other company, I get my deductible back.

Actually, and sadly, there's more to progressive then their marketing and hype. That would be the large team of very aggressive and bull-headed adjusters and lawyers. In my perception, Allstate, while fully deserving their bad rep, seems to take it on the nose worse than SnakeFarm or Regressive. IMO, from having fought in the trenches myself, Regressive is an easy and legitimate contender for "worst of the worst" "honors".

And Progressive is taking care of you, since you're their customer.

But when it is someone who has been hit by a Progressive insured, and they don't have a customer that they need to keep happy.... Progressive's procedure apparently is to cut all corners possible, respond slowly, and make the claims process inconvenient.

What a great way to do business.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's that way with all insurance companies. After all, they only have to keep THEIR paying clients happy, right? Why would they go out of their way for people who aren't paying premiums to them?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Why would they go out of their way for people who aren't paying premiums to them?

Because one of their customers caused a loss and injured someone else, that's why.

Did I really have to explain that?

Why would they go out of their way for people who aren't paying premiums to them?

Because one of their customers caused a loss and injured someone else, that's why.

Did I really have to explain that?

How does that in any way, shape, or form require them to go out of their way to roll out the red carpet for non-premium paying claimants? All they're required to do is what's required by law. Making things incovenient isn't against the law...

It wouldn't surprise me if it's that way with all insurance companies. After all, they only have to keep THEIR paying clients happy, right? Why would they go out of their way for people who aren't paying premiums to them?

There's also the possibility that if they take care of you well enough, you might just switch over to them after everything is said and done.

I know that if after an accident, that someone else's insurance company treated me better, and took better care of me than my own insurance company did for that claim instance, I would get a price quote, and compare the two companies more closely.

BC.

+ 1

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Of course you can attract flies with something else and that seems to be the approach Progressive has taken.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
I have never seen an insurance company try to get out of paying until they have no choice.

That's the way they all operate.

+1

Insurance and moving companies are two industries that never have good reviews. If you search online, you'll find every company has tons of complaints.

To the OP-

Your parents likely would be getting jerked around by any insurance company, because they don't want to pay, IMO.

Also, have your parents already contacted their insurance company? I assume they could help them, because they'll want progressive to pay.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Your parents likely would be getting jerked around by any insurance company, because they don't want to pay, IMO

Exactly. Insurance companies make their money by paying out as little as possible in claims while taking in as much as possible in premiums...

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Your parents likely would be getting jerked around by any insurance company, because they don't want to pay, IMO

Exactly. Insurance companies make their money by paying out as little as possible in claims while taking in as much as possible in premiums...

I was going to post this anyway. Most insurance companies take in premiums, and try to pay out as little as possible. The money that isn't paid out, they then invest in other places such as bonds, mortgages, etc. A lot of them got caught at the beginning of the downturn when they were long housing, stocks, etc. Progressive however, does not reinvest this money. Not sure if that's why they are so hardball but just some more color to the conversation.

All that I'm expecting out of Progressive is "reasonable" level of service.

Delaying the inspection of a damaged vehicle for 11 days is not reasonable.

Having to take time off of work and then drive to a location that is convenient for them for the inspection (11 days later) is not reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back