Pro-Logix battery charger is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schumacher has apparently decided that batteries enjoy being held at 15.5 volts or higher nearly every time the charger is run.

My Sc2500a, purchased in 2007, loves to go upto 16.4v at full current. This is extremely abusive to the battery.

While an equalization is a forced overcharge to return all cells to their maximum specific gravity, it is not to be applied every time the battery is charged.

An Eq charge is more a requirement on a deep cycle battery that is actually cycled daily, or at least often. the deeper the cycle and the less close the recharging gets to an actual 100%, the more often an EQ charge is required.

I will not leave my Schumacher sc2500a unattended on the 12 amp or 25 amp setting, and the 2 amp setting on a healthier battery or smaller is also capable of bringing it to unsafe and unneeded voltages.

Heck I barely even use it anymore. I use a 40 amp adjustable power supply, and can control current via the potentiometer and monitor the current with a cheap wattmeter, and I decide when the battery is fully charged. Verified by a temperature compensated hydrometer.

I don't trust any automatic smart charger on my batteries. A flashing green light means nothing, only that the charger has reverted to float voltages.

Ctek or Noco IMO.
I have 2 Cteks and a Noco. The noco I have, due to 25amp charge.
Cteks are generally uses more.
IMO, it's built a bit better than the Ctek's.

It HAS different smart charge profiles, wet, agm and even lithiums, depending on which model you get.

I almost got a Noco right before I got this. I have a genius boost and was really looking hard at their stuff.

I also looked at CTEK too but really wanted a higher amp output for charging bigger stuff

Prior to the Cteks. I had a batteryminder. Pretty good 3 step charger with selectable 2/4/8 amp rates.

I switched to Cteks to standardize on my ~plugs~ system.
the 25 amp is for my deep discharge agn applications..

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Schumacher has apparently decided that batteries enjoy being held at 15.5 volts or higher nearly every time the charger is run.

My Sc2500a, purchased in 2007, loves to go upto 16.4v at full current. This is extremely abusive to the battery.

While an equalization is a forced overcharge to return all cells to their maximum specific gravity, it is not to be applied every time the battery is charged.

An Eq charge is more a requirement on a deep cycle battery that is actually cycled daily, or at least often. the deeper the cycle and the less close the recharging gets to an actual 100%, the more often an EQ charge is required.

I will not leave my Schumacher sc2500a unattended on the 12 amp or 25 amp setting, and the 2 amp setting on a healthier battery or smaller is also capable of bringing it to unsafe and unneeded voltages.

Heck I barely even use it anymore. I use a 40 amp adjustable power supply, and can control current via the potentiometer and monitor the current with a cheap wattmeter, and I decide when the battery is fully charged. Verified by a temperature compensated hydrometer.

I don't trust any automatic smart charger on my batteries. A flashing green light means nothing, only that the charger has reverted to float voltages.

Agree 100%

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Prior to the Cteks. I had a batteryminder. Pretty good 3 step charger with selectable 2/4/8 amp rates.

I switched to Cteks to standardize on my ~plugs~ system.
the 25 amp is for my deep discharge agn applications..

The reality is that SAE bullet connector is the standard for LV stuff.

And low and slow is always better for lead acid, if you care about them. Only certain situations where surface morphology changes might be beneficial, does it make sense to hit them with a relatively fast charge, and thats very seldom needed.

For deep discharge applications, the manuf of my batteries, Odyssey, recommends 25-50 amps minimum.

I thought it was odd...but I'm not the one with Scientific data that proves low and slow is better than what they recommend

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the SAE bullet connector. They wear out, stretch out and heat up when passing even moderate currents, like 12 amps. Bending the socket inward might resolve, temporarily the intermittent connection, but the actual contact surface area is still too small for passing 25 amps for an hour.

There is also a load and a source side. Hook two source sides together and the magic smoke escapes somewhere on the circuit path and perhaps within the device. Have another device and it is not a guarantee that the + and - are on the correct side of the connector to mate with existing connectors on other devices. Also the exposed connector can come in contact with ground. No biggie if it is a ground, but if it is a hot, then sparks.

I use 45 amp Anderson Powerpoles. They are about the same size as the SAE connectors but are a much more solid connection, if perhaps less water resistant.

001copy_zps17f77645.jpg

Do note the powerpole contacts are not oriented correctly in my photo above, the round backs are push against each other, by the leaf spring in the plastic housing.

Another issue with the SAE bullet connectors is their quality control. This wire pulled out with barely any effort when I was troubleshooting the failed circuit:

IMG_3435_zpsf4d68941.jpg

Low and slow charging is not Always better. Low and slow might not get the battery upto absorption voltage, and might not maximize specific gravity, and a faster charge will warm up the battery more making it easier to dissolve the sulfates on the plates. Ultimately it is time at absorption voltage which fully charges a lead acid battery. Lesser voltages might be able to return specific gravity to the maximum, or they might not. The healthier the battery the more likely it is that lower voltages can eventually do the job.

But no one usually bothers charging a vehicles starting battery until it has become aged and problematic anyway.

If one puts a 2 amp trickle charger on a dead battery overnight, the battery will be nowhere near fully charged in the morning, unless it is a very small battery or its capacity has been reduced so much as to make it a small battery.

In my opinion, low and slow battery Lead acid charging always being best, belongs in the insane asylum with the crazy old wives and their tales.

Also some AGM's like Odyssey, say their deeply cycled battery must be hit with 40% charge rate when deeply cycled. 40 amps minimum for a 100 amp hour battery which was depleted to 50% or less. Drain this battery to 50% and charge it for 48 hours at 2 amps and you will have a very unhappy 300+$ battery.

I have a Northstar AGM that I cycle which is similar to Odyssey, and if I give it the low and slow solar treatment, which maxes out at about 11 amps, cycle after cycle, the battery gets all petulant and voltage tanks further and further during discharge under the same loads.

40 amps applied from a discharged state until 14.5v is held, and amps taper to 0.45, restores performance, both in terms of cranking the engine violently quickly, and holding higher voltages during an overnight discharge. Sometimes 2 back to back 40 amp recharges from 50% charged are required if many low and slow recharged happened back to back.

WRC -

I checked out Northstar awhile back for a different application.
Spoke to a tech engineer for a good bit....actually, his response on recommended charge rate was ~low and slow~ and not the high amp charge rate recommended by Odyssey. When I saw low and slow, I'm thinking 7-10amps on average..

Granted, both these battery brands are very low resistence batteries.
Volts=heat...

I do think the recommend high amp is their way of desulphating it when discharged as such.

Chefwong, Interesting.

I wonder if it was really a tech, or an 'applications engineer', which is another term for marketer.

Was your intended application including deep cycling? A shallowly discharged battery cannot accept huge currents, and does not need them anyway. If it is a battery that has all the time in the world to recharge at float voltages, then again, high amps are not needed and would be rejected by the voltage controller on the charging source if the battery were ~85% or more charged when charging began.

One cannot force a battery to charge any faster at the 85% + state of charge range safely. To do so would require too high a voltage, which causes positive plate erosion and on flooded batteries, excessive water usage, and on AGM batteries would likely cause the vents to open and water loss as well, which of course cannot be replaced.

So at 85%+SOC, low and slow is basically the only option available. It takes time to fully charge a Lead acid battery, no matter the charging source.

But if the battery is drawn to 50% state of charge, it can accept huge charging currents, and Lifeline and Odyssey both say, the more the better, where as some other AGM's say never exceed 30% of the 20 hour capacity rate.

I spoke at length with an Odyssey engineer about deep cycling their group31 (pc2150) and recharging via 200 watts of solar only. He said flat out it was not a good match, and I would not get my money's worth from the battery. That high initial recharging currents were critical to their battery longevity. That the plates were too dense and tightly packed for lower currents to penetrate and saturate them.

The Northstar list of approved chargers is longer than that of Odyssey. Northstar relabels some Ctek chargers too. Northstar and Odyssey make so many of the same claims as to performance, and their CCA and AH can be exactly the same across batteries of the same size, that I believe ( my opinion) them to be very similar in construction and design.

901M, 'well enough' is certainly open to interpretation. The deeper the discharge the more important it is to feed the high $$ AGM at a high rate.

The lower $$ AGMS say to limit amps to no more than 30 per 100AH capacity.

So we have hugely contradictory recommendations by the battery manufacturers as to what they have determined works best on their specific batteries, yet many people, and chargers, paint all AGMs with the same brush. Some even include gel batteries in that same brushstroke, and a true gel battery needs precise current control or else it is damaged permanently the first time those parameters are exceeded.

Many people call AGM's gel cells, but Absorbed Glass Matt batteries do not have a silica thickened Gelled electrolyte, as do true gel batteries.

Lower bulk charge rates on AGM's can be negated to some degree by holding absorption voltage for longer. Odyssey says once 14.7v is reached it is to be held for 4 hours. Few chargers will do this, and Odyssey has their own line of expensive chargers meant to properly care for their batteries. But strangely, their group 31 at 100AH, which requires 40 amps when deeply discharged according to their own recommendations, well they do not have a 40 amp charger for it.

In the end it comes down to how the battery is used. I happen to deeply cycle a battery practically every day, and what makes this battery happy is a hugely different requirement than a battery which is shallowly discharged and only occasionally sees a deeper discharge.

I also have the tools and interest to observe and measure and record how my battery behaves during discharge, how much voltage it can maintain for how many Amp hours are removed from it. My Northstar AGM, after 4 nights of 50% depletion and only 200 watts of solar, has the voltage tank under the same loading on the 5th night. On day 6 I will use my 40 amp power supply + whatever the solar can contribute, and that performance returns. Really, I try and avoid deeply discharging it if I know that the solar is going to be the only charging source available, but often I just say Eff it, it is just a battery and it works for me, not the other way around.

To truly know if an AGM is fully charged, one needs an ammeter and a charging source capable of the manufacturer recommended absorption voltage and holding that voltage for as long as required.

This is why I went with an adjustable voltage power supply. I can hold 14.46v at 77f until amps taper to 0.45. Sometimes that tapering takes 2.5 hours, other times that tapering lasts for 5 hours. The time required to reach that end point, is directly related to not only how deeply discharged the battery was, but how many cycles accumulated where it was recharged ONLY by a low and slow 200 watts of solar. At this time of year this is the 11 to 12.5 amp range at solar Noon. 11 to 12.5 amps is not even considered low and slow by most.

Also, the correct float voltage can be determined by an adjustable voltage power supply and an Ammeter. If it has been floating for a period of time at 13.2v, and then one gooses the voltage upto 14.4v and the single large battery takes more than a few amps to reach 14.4, and these amps do not quickly taper back down to the 0.5% of the total AH capacity(@20 hour rate), the float voltage was too low or the battery was not fully charged when float voltages were initiated, or some combination of both

Recommended float voltages vary greatly among AGM manufacturers too. Lifeline recommends 13.2 to 13.4v. Odyssey and Northstar at 13.6v.

I found 13.4v is too low on My Northstar AGM, and the sweetspot is 13.5 to 13.6v, to maintain 100% state of charge in a mild climate.

My flooded battery was happy with 13.15v.

AGM's are great batteries. Some people think their significantly higher price somehow imparts them with magical abilities to resist abuse. But if anything, AGMS are more temperamental when it comes to how they are recharged. They require true 100% charges as often as possible, as soon as possible, and do not handle partial state of charge cycling as well as their flooded deep cycle counterparts.

Treat an AGM right and it will return the favor, but being ignorant to their requirements and having them fail prematurely, is like buying a high $$ German car, and never changing the oil, then complaining when the engine seizes saying such an expensive car should be immune to such things.

Batteries are surpisingly tolerant of charging parameters outside the manufacturer listed ideals. But still, it is good to know what those ideals are, and try to meet them.

Another pet peeve of mine is the 12.8v =100% charged mentality.

My Northstar AGM has a fully charged resting open circuit voltage of 13.06v. 12.8 OCV is about 75% charged on this battery.

My Flooded battery fully charged rested OCV is 12.72v. 12.8v on this battery indicates only that the surface charge has not abated.

Also I can get the flooded battery to read 12.72 OCV rested, and stick the hydrometer in the cells and have them read 1.225.

Fully charged on this battery is 1.285, yet the resting voltage was 12.72, even with SG at 1.225.

Voltage means so very little with lead acid batteries, yet people act like it is not only a fuel gauge, but that it also indicates battery health.

While a battery that fails to maintain 12.65v+ after the charging source is removed is likely on its way to the recyclers, just because a battery holds 12.7+, does not mean it is 'just like new!" as so many will proclaim.

I know on this forum, most are using just starting batteries, as starting batteries. But when one starts cycling marine batteries, or the Deep Cycle batteries, often and deeply, the requirements to achieve good battery longevity are much much different.

Low and slow on a battery whose next discharge cycle starts in a few hours is insanity. Low and slow on a battery that was not deeply discharged is fine and dandy.

Low and slow on a healthy battery that has all the time in the world to reach a true 100% recharge, is fine and dandy, but an older battery, chronically undercharged, low and slow has little chance of reverting the specific gravity back up to the maximum, no matter how long low and slow is applied.

And maximum specific gravity is the goal, the hydrometer on a flooded battery is the polygraph. Knowing the baseline maximum Specific gravity is required too. Batteries for hotter climates can max out in the 1.265 range, those for Arctic climates might go as high as 1.310.

On an older battery whose max SG is unknown, then an equalization charge must be performed, the hydrometer dipped every 15 minutes and the charging stopped when SG, compensated for the rising temperature, no longer rises, or battery temperature rapidly climbs, or exceeds 120F.

Voltages upto 16V can be required to maximize specific gravity.
These voltages should only be applied on a battery which was held at 14.8v or less, for 4 hours. Allow no more than 5% of the capacity (5 amps for a 100AH battery) to bring the battery upto 16V.

5% might not get the battery upto 16v. Be sure to monitor it for temperature. If the amps start rising again, terminate EQ charge.

Lifeline AGM are pretty much top DOG in the AGM DeepCycle battery world. They have a well written tech sheet:

Some of the info is relevant only to their batteries, much of it is relevant to all lead acid batteries flooded or AGM.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/manual.pdf

Is this the future of automotive batteries?
http://articles.sae.org/13828/

"...Most conventional start-stop systems use a single lead-acid battery, typically a 12-volt absorbent glass mat (AGM) battery or an enhanced flooded battery (EFB). But a dual-battery design can provide a bigger performance payback for micro-hybrid electric vehicles.

The breakthrough with Johnson Controls’ two battery system is the combination of reliable start-stop performance from an existing technology, like AGM or EFB, and a significant increase in charging performance from a lithium-titanate battery, according to Craig Rigby, Advanced Market Technology Strategist for Johnson Controls Power Solutions…"

WRC -

What charger are you running by change. At some point, I plan to add this to supplement the biggest one on my stash, which is the Noco 25

Samlax SEC-1250UL

What I use for a charger, is an Adjustable voltage power supply.

Meanwell RSP-500-15. I removed the tiny voltage potentiometer and wired in a 10 turn potentiometer so dialing in voltage to 0.01v is simple and convenient.

It is a manual charger. Set it to 14.7v and leave it for too long and it will overcharge.

It was not designed to run at maximum output for a long time, but it does have constant current limiting. If the battery is low enough and I set the voltage to mid to high 14's it will max out at 40 amps for 40 to 50 minutes before my battery starts limiting current when that absorption voltage is approached.

I've added extra fans and heatsinks to where the transistors mount to the casing to dissipate the extra heat and promote longevity.

I'll hook this unit upto a spring wound timer before I ever consider an automatic smart charger again. Been there, done that, and my battery was murdered.

I will try replacing the very poor quality 12awg to the circuit board on my Schumacher sc2500a, with some higher quality 10 or 8 awg, but I highly doubt I will ever trust it unattended again, due to its desire to go to 16.4v at full amperage output and fry the battery.

There is a certain lack of ~controls~ I cannot achieve with my Cteks/Noco, which I knew buying into it.....

I do want to get one higher amp charger in the stash just for those times where I need to recharge a deep cycled AGM. I'll mess around with my Noco some more but I'm not 100% confident if it's something I would use as it does do a bit of 16+ pulses in the ~desulphate~ step, which you can't turn off. ----- Strangely enough, even on the Odyssey Schumacher branded chargers, these do mini pulses at 16 too.....afaik, Odyssey is not happy with these schumacher made charges.....hence the new models that are slated to be release this late fall/winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back