Prius Touring Tire Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Prius Touring(16" wheels) at 145k is due for it's 3rd set of tires. My current tires are Ecopia EP100's which are summer only. I live in NE IL and run winter wheels/tires during the winter.

My criteria:
195/55R16(preferred) or 205/50R16
LRR/MPG
Noise/ride
cost
tread life/wear

Options:
Bridgestone EP422
Pirelli P7
Yokohama YK580

I did not add the Michelins since they are typically over $150 a tire. 4 x $25 = $100 difference and I don't believe they are that much better? My cousin is a manager at Discount tire and really likes the P7 & YK580's. However, he doesn't look at it from a MPG standpoint.

Originally Posted By: HiccaBurp
My 2007 Prius Touring(16" wheels) at 145k is due for it's 3rd set of tires. My current tires are Ecopia EP100's which are summer only. I live in NE IL and run winter wheels/tires during the winter.

My criteria:
195/55R16(preferred) or 205/50R16
LRR/MPG
Noise/ride
cost
tread life/wear

Options:
Bridgestone EP422
Pirelli P7
Yokohama YK580

I did not add the Michelins since they are typically over $150 a tire. 4 x $25 = $100 difference and I don't believe they are that much better? My cousin is a manager at Discount tire and really likes the P7 & YK580's. However, he doesn't look at it from a MPG standpoint.

First, rolling resistance, treadwear, and traction form a technological triangle. Any significant gains in one area are done by sacrificing one or more of the other areas.

Second, LRR is a relative term - meaning compared to tires with similar characteristics (treadwear and traction), an LRR has a lower RR. (Yes, I know that sort of contradicts the first statement, but there are things that SLIGHTLY improve RR without sacrificing the other 2, but the first statement is generally true.)

So you need to sort out how much sacrifice you are willing to tolerate. The key is finding the best compromise for your situation.

Keep in mind that the YK580 is a Discount Tire exclusive.

If you liked your EP100's then there is no problem getting the EP422.

How about the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max? There is currently a rebate on them. They cost slightly more than the EP422, but they end up being cheaper than the Ecopias after rebate.

Even though it isn't a LRR tire, the Kumho Ecsta 4X is at a great price. At only $65 per tire (half the price of anything else but still a name brand!), that should more than make up for the lower mpg!

But if fuel efficient/LRR matters that much, get the Goodyear Fuel Max.

Are you open to getting a set of 15" wheels from a non-touring Prius? If you are, then you will have a LOT more fuel-efficient non-performance tires to choose from. The original size on your car as well as the alternate size you are considering are both heavily performance-oriented.

CapriRacer, yes, I understand your point. When I say LRR, it doesn't have to be marketed as one to be one, but usually are. I do want to stay on the higher end of the MPG spectrum. The Prius/hybrids tend to display a greater difference in tire MPG capabilities.

tommygunn,
I will be purchasing my tires from DT since my cousin is the manager and I do get the best price
smile.gif

Yes, the EP422 would be the logical choice since I'm happy with the EP100's, however, how do I know something isn't better without trying/asking?

Goodyear.. oh boy. I had some bad experiences with my performance cars in my youth. I'm sure they are way different 20 years later, but left swearing never to buy GY! However, tell me more. MPG best of group? Noise?

Kumho, i've thought about it. But loosing a couple of MPGs will bother me the next few years.. long after the sting of spending more is a distant memory.

No, I really like the look and handling of the 16" wheel/tires. My winter wheel/tires are the 15".

I really liked the Pirelli's on my GTI's back in the day. Almost want to give them a chance plus they have a $60 rebate also. Just don't want to take a MPG hit.

Love Nokian's. However, DT doesn't carry them and the Nokian's are expensive. I get such a good price on the tires, plus the installation is almost free, it'd be stupid not to buy them at DT.

DT is great, and I wish DT existed on the east cost, but I just don't like private-label/exclusive/proprietary tires. My personal preference runs towards tires sold everywhere nationwide, especially if you regularly drive in areas without a DT store.

The Fuel Max seems to make slightly more noise, slightly better mpg than the EP422. You should be happy with either one
smile.gif

The Goodyear AFM's are an okay tire that are great at the LRR game. I replaced the OEM set on the Cruze with 4/32" remaining since they were not doing that well in heavy rain by that point. What did I replace them with? More OEM Goodyear AFM's since I have a long, boring commute and they were cheaper than any other option I looked at. For the price they're decent 3-season tires. There are better, albeit pricier, options out there.

I vote for the P7's. My Cruze Eco (same as sciphi) came with the Goodyear AFM's. Overall, they were an okay tire but I did not like them enough to replace them with the same.

I too am/was concerned about the fuel impact. With the P7's I only experienced a slight loss (from 42 to 40.5 mpg). Traction is vastly improved in all weather conditions and they are solid and quiet. I have 3k miles on them and love them so far.

Originally Posted By: AboutTires
I had the Ecopias on my 04 Prius for three weeks last year for some LRR/ride testing. The mpg gains were substantial and I was generally impressed with grip. The ride can be a bit soft and control inputs are slightly mushy, but they are touring tires, not sport tires. My review:

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Bridgestone-Ecopia-Ep422.htm

I'm leaning towards the EP422's. Question, what tires you have on before the EP422's? I'm hoping to get some more info on the YK580's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back