Prius Multi-Function Display Broke-- $1300!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when cars used to be scrapped because they were too rusty or the mechanicals were worn out? I can see modern cars in otherwise pristine condition being scrapped because the electronics are too expensive to fix.

Either that, or nobody can figure out what's wrong with them.

Sometimes, you can do a component-level repair on the module and save a few hundred bucks.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Remember when cars used to be scrapped because they were too rusty or the mechanicals were worn out? I can see modern cars in otherwise pristine condition being scrapped because the electronics are too expensive to fix.

That is how most other goods have turned out, right?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
More to the point, I'm not sure where that $1300 figure is coming from. Mine came, again used, with a substantially scratched MFD. It's fully functional, but it is a noticeable blemish. I asked a couple years ago, and while I don't recall the figure, I'm pretty sure it was safely within the three digit range. Additionally, by now, there should be examples in the yards from which one can pull a much less expensive, used replacement. Why not try that route?

$1300 is the cost of a Toyota reman unit.

Most of these units are about ~$450 if it is for an 04/05 car. The 06 and newer cars use a different unit, and some of them, if they are for a nav-equipped vehicle, are about $1300.

LKQ wants about $600 for a lightly used unit from an '09 Prius.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Well, when that starts to happen, and I'm sure it will, then the yards will be full of cars with many more harvestable (is that a word?) parts than was the case when cars hit the yard only when mechanically finished. Every cloud has a silver lining (however thin...).

Remember the story of my late, great 2002 barebones I-4 5-spd manual Camry that saved my life via the optional side-curtain airbags? The idiots at the insurance company insisted upon fixing it, despite it being right at the threshold for declaration of a "total" (total loss). AFTER all the repairs, they discovered that the SRS (airbag) computer had fried itself during the deployment, costing $2k to fix, and putting me squarely in TOTAL territory.

Without question, if someone didn't drive that car for years (perhaps still) on a salvage title, it must have provided a wealth of good hardly used parts. The more cars we see relegated to salvage status by their expensive repairs (electronic or otherwise), ironically, the more good spare parts we'll have at low cost.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Does anyone have any advice or experience with requesting goodwill assistance?

Thanks.

I wish you the best of luck with Toyota asking for repairs out of warranty. Heck, I wish anyone the best of luck asking for repairs while under warranty. Most know my Toyota horror story with a 2005 Tacoma so I won't repeat it here but I couldn't even get a response from Toyota with the paint falling off my brand new truck.

The only hope I see for you is if the recent run of bad press and problems has them being more customer oriented and friendly now to try and revive their image. Otherwise, if it is the same old Toyota, you are going to be told no. Well, if you even get an answer.

I am still wating here 5+ years later for a single answer. I still get [censored] in the mail from them all the time trying to get me to buy a new Toyota though which I find very humorous( or annoying depending on my mood at the time ).

Last edited:
I feel it's just tough luck. It would seem unreasonable to ask for assistance if you are plainly out of warranty unless you've had other similar or related issues prior to expiration.

But if you squawk loud enough...

This is why complicated electronics are not worth the price of entry!!!!!!!!

just say NO!

I never want such stuff on my car!

I'm not a fan of it either. Not even any power windows or locks for me. More basic the better. I do like having an OBD-II connection for my after market scangauge. If it ever breaks, everything else still works and I just buy a new one at a time of my choosing. Same for GPS.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Brings back memories of the G.M displays in the Buick Riverias,they didn't stay in production long.

I think the Reatta had a screen that would kill all the controls if it went out.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy

just say NO!

You said it! One screen goes out and I can't control my heat/AC/nav/audio? The future looks grim...

Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi

just say NO!

You said it! One screen goes out and I can't control my heat/AC/nav/audio? The future looks grim...

I just prey there doesn't come a day when we can't say no because everything on the market, new and used, is of such design. Though as that seems to be where we're headed, its only a matter of time. 'Progress' being what it is.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi

just say NO!

Actually, that's not quite accurate. In the Prius anyway, using the steering wheel controls and the dash displays, you can still control the radio and heat/AC just fine (though not as conveniently). Only the NAV, if so equipped, is totally dependent upon the MFD.

Similar thing happened with the second of my 98 Regal GSs (the dealer had swapped me for the first after other problems...). The climate control display (green VF) failed leaving me able to control it only by guessing at or counting numbers of button pushes.

Aren't too many cars out there any more that aren't laden with electronic controls -- irrespective of how you feel about them, we're all going have to adjust to them.

if you have OBD-II then you already have a slew of complex electronics on your car.

You just can't play with them.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances...

The earliest OBD-II implementations aren't much more complex than their OBD-I predecessors, at least in terms of what's external to the ECU. The ECU itself is more complex with OBD-II, but that doesn't seem to make it any more likely to break.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
[

Aren't too many cars out there any more that aren't laden with electronic controls -- irrespective of how you feel about them, we're all going have to adjust to them.

Except if the consumer starts to rebel against this [censored].

Not only that but increasingly the average US consumer simply can't afford the price of most cars ...and this is what hopefully will keep the excessive amount of electronic [censored] down at least on entry level models...

ODB II isn't excessive electronics and they actually improve the ability to repair a car, not to mention that the consumer DOES have access to these items via a modestly priced scan tool.

As an update, Toyota denied the request for goodwill assistance so I will either have to call the 800 number myself or just suck it up and get an used one from LKQ.

Critic...

I would send the CEO of Toyota USA a snail main indicating how due to this issue it will be the last toyota product you buy and you will also deter your friends and family from purchasing their products as well. Make sure you let them know how dissatisfied you are!

Their refusal is a HUGE ERROR...and it will cost them business, make sure they know this. Send the letter Return Receipt Requested Certified Mail.

Critic...

I would send the CEO of Toyota USA a snail main indicating how due to this issue it will be the last toyota product you buy and you will also deter your friends and family from purchasing their products as well. Make sure you let them know how dissatisfied you are!

Their refusal is a HUGE ERROR...and it will cost them business, make sure they know this. Send the letter Return Receipt Requested Certified Mail.

The issue here, is that it is only worth my time if they cover 100% of the repair-- which they won't at 80k on an item like this. At best I would guess that they'd chip in 50% or maybe 75%. At that price, I'm still better off pulling one from the junkyard.

Critic...

Vizzy do you really think Toyota really cares? Think again. If you think they do you are living on another planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back