Preston fuel injector cleaner ingredients revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
While shopping at wally, I bought 2 of those mainly due to cheap cost ($2.50) and BOGO MIR deal. Sadly, I'm hooked to those MIR deals.

According to http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25531059/Car-Care-Ingredient-Statements is contains:
petroleum distillate, polyolefin alkylphenol alkylamine, trimethylbenzine (1,2,4 and 1,3,5 and 1,2,3), N-propylbenzine, xylene, 2-ethylbenzine, cumene.

Between all those aromatic solvents and some amines, I could be a decent cleaner. Maybe not as good as PEA for carbon, but still decent for injectors. According to wiki, 99% of trimethybenzene production is used as gasoline additive, so this could be the primary "detergent" in gasoline.

This is one of the least sold FICs at my local WM
wink.gif
They got the yellow bottle, and the silver bottle, both are either 4 or 6 ounces if I recall.....but yea, they simply do not move...lol.

Honestly, I think the primary reason is the whole "2x concentrated!" environmental effect bandwagon Prestone tried jumping on (sorta like laundry detergents, etc......) - supposed to be "thicker" and more potent (err...I mean concentrated....) less "water" and more 'beef' or something?
smile.gif

My WM even had little flyers tacked on the shelf by the silver "Fuel System Cleaner" to try and promote it, but it was a no go...most tend to go towards the GumOut or Chevron Techron, Seafoam, Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL (something like that order, afaik, from my observations anyways lol.....) based on what's left on the shelf anyways.

err [censored], can't forget about the sub-par Lucas UCL....that's somewhere between the Gum Out and the Chevron Techron Concentrate stuff....

I used the silver bottle in mom's '08 Sebring 2.7l and about 5 minutes after I turned on the engine I got a check engine light and it persisted for the next couple of days. Never used it after that. Not saying that is what caused it but the coincidance is enough to keep me from trying it again. Especially when I used MMO in my '05 Ram 4.7l at every fill up as well as techron and never had an issue.

I routinely use Justice Bros. fuel cleaners.. in one car, (that requires premium fuel) it produced a slight misfire at low speeds.... The FIC is Super flamable, and can cause pre-ignition in some motors.. particularly high performance ones.

I'm kicking myself over that one car's performance, but yet all the other cars I've used it in had good results. My verdict is that some FIC's are just too flamable for cartain cars. Once the tank with the FIC was burned off, things got better......

@RamFan:
I had that experience with Chevron Techron Concentrate once.....loaded up the tank with it, using the full bottle per the instructions, on the way home from the gas station, CEL went on....I was like "oh poop....I'll get it checked at Advance tomorrow" - it was an 08 Optima, so ODB2 could grab the code(s)...well, next morning on the way to the parts store, hit the high way acceleration ramp, and the CEL went away
smile.gif

I chalk it up to a piece of carbon that may have hit, or otherwise "obstructed" the o2 sensor and triggered the CEL, when I "slammed on the gas" (Ala, Italian tune-up style) to merge into traffic, the CEL went out
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back