Pressure to not buy foreign

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP,
Tell them that you'll buy "domestic" when they do the same - that goes for cell phones and TVs too. Or if they agree to not use those "foreign" items.

Oh and then go stand on their lawn - that really gets them riled up.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
OP,
Tell them that you'll buy "domestic" when they do the same - that goes for cell phones and TVs too. Or if they agree to not use those "foreign" items.

Oh and then go stand on their lawn - that really gets them riled up.

LOL I have made the mistake of driving on the edge of the lawn before. Won't do that again!

It's funny when you see a GM/Ford,etc "American made" part and the box says "Made in the USA,contents Made in China"! Hey,at least you're getting an American made box! Haha!

I never had any pressure from my family to avoid foreign cars. My parents had Japanese and Korean cars when I grew up. On my father's side of my family, my grandmother drove Hondas since the 1980s, because her last car was a Chrysler K-car and it was a huge regret. On my mother's side, Grandma and Grandpa wouldn't drive anything without an American name on it, but they never tried to influence me.

One thing that annoys me about the argument that if you buy something outside of the USA, the money somehow disappears. People who have it overseas will eventually spend it in the USA.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
When your family, friends and colleagues offer you free financing and a lifetime warranty on whatever American nameplate vehicle you might want, they'll then be in a position to tell you what you should buy.
ATM, we have two Ohio Accords, a Mexican Ford Focus, a Japanese built Subaru Forester and its mate, an Indianan Legacy wagon, a genuine German BMW and an E350 built somewhere in the US, although it does have a Canadian 351W. Our two garage queens were built in Germany and England (what it says on the build plate, not the UK or Great Britain).
We've owned American nameplate cars and had no real problems with them.
Our St. Louis built '97 Aerostar was one of the best vehicles we've ever owned.
In short, spend your money on what you want to buy.
If people around you want to complain, tell them that you'll drive anything they want to buy for your use.
Their real gripe might be that the factories that the UAW likes to refer to as transplants have a workforce with no desire to join the UAW, as has been proven in numerous organizing attempts.

I think the last few years of 351W engines were built in, ironically, Cleveland. (The Windsor plant was converted to make 4.6 Modulars.)

In a truly brazen display of hypocrisy, the head of my union local drove a Mercedes E320 until last year. (Now has a Fusion.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
When your family, friends and colleagues offer you free financing and a lifetime warranty on whatever American nameplate vehicle you might want, they'll then be in a position to tell you what you should buy.
ATM, we have two Ohio Accords, a Mexican Ford Focus, a Japanese built Subaru Forester and its mate, an Indianan Legacy wagon, a genuine German BMW and an E350 built somewhere in the US, although it does have a Canadian 351W. Our two garage queens were built in Germany and England (what it says on the build plate, not the UK or Great Britain).
If people around you want to complain, tell them that you'll drive anything they want to buy for your use.
Their real gripe might be that the factories that the UAW likes to refer to as transplants have a workforce with no desire to join the UAW, as has been proven in numerous organizing attempts.

I think the last few years of 351W engines were built in, ironically, Cleveland. (The Windsor plant was converted to make 4.6 Modulars.)

In a truly brazen display of hypocrisy, the head of my union local drove a Mercedes E320 until last year. (Now has a Fusion.)

If it was the E320, they stopped making those in 2005 when it went to the E350 in 2006. So at that point he was driving a 9 year old car. Unless you meant E350, they're still making those today. I'm driving an E350 now, way nicer than any Fusion or Taurus.

As I've said before, I couldn't care less what other people buy. I just want to be treated the same way. I own American, British, German, and Japanese vehicles and in each case I bought what suited my needs/wants best.
I do come from a "Ford Family" but I won't buy something I won't enjoy owning- although the upcoming Focus RS is a car that I will be seriously considering in a couple of years- especially if Mazda wimps out and doesn't build the oft-rumored 300 hp AWD Mazdaspeed 3.

Would you buy a car made by ISIS or the Taliban? Probably not, and maybe this is how some Vets feel, but maybe not. When I was couriering I saw alot of military stickers on small foreign trucks.

Some people's homes are made in America and maybe they prefer other purchases to be made here.

My first car was Japanese and was great for a noob (RX-7) and Ive owned one other foreign car, another RX-7, rest have been from here. But, all my motos have been Japanese and at one time I was a big fanboy and put downs Buell with his unconventional designs. Never had a problem with HD, but did laugh At all the Hardley jokes.

By all means, buy what you want with your money, but think of it another way as well. Who do you want to give your money and support to?

Quality, quantity, CoO and price are all good considerations for purchasing.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Slightly different... but similar.

I'm through with buying vehicles that have been built in union plants.

My tour of the Corvette plant a few months ago, finally decided for me to make that decision.

That's interesting, what'd you see?

$80 an hour workers.
laugh.gif

It probably angered him so much he vowed "never again."

Semi-sarcastic here... I can't speak for him.

Did they have to stretch before starting work, like I do at Amazon Fulfillment, building EWR5?

I'll bet he still has that Benz but parks it somewhere else now?

Good ol' Masshole there.
thumbsup2.gif
lol.gif

Maybe I should just buy a cherry southern K5 Blazer and do an LS swap?
laugh.gif

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHL88
I think foreign cars are a tad overrated. I def wouldn't be driving around in a Suzuki.

I wouldn't either, but I'd just as much rather not be driving a Ford, Chrylser, or GM car. Trucks are different, but cars, absolutely not.

The Spring Hill, TN plant was for building Saturns. Now, it's a GM engine plant as far as I know. anyway, a co-worker told me if you bought a Japanese car and worked at that GM plant. Your car would get keyed. This lady told me it happened frequently.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

If it was the E320, they stopped making those in 2005 when it went to the E350 in 2006. So at that point he was driving a 9 year old car. Unless you meant E350, they're still making those today. I'm driving an E350 now, way nicer than any Fusion or Taurus.

Do you or do you not understand the brazen hypocrisy of the head of my UNION LOCAL driving a Mercedes?

The COO does have some economic impact but it is a murky picture as to what content is made in USA, so it's not easy to pick a car based on origin.

The loss of jobs in manufacturing in the US is one of our most serious economic problems.

Still, people want to buy what they think they need, and sometimes the origin takes less priority.

I have been researching SUVs, CUVs, and compact pickups.

I want a four cylinder with decent power output, manual transmission, compact size (~100"+) and weight (3000lbs+).

Here's what I have found.

CHEVY Colorado(or GMC) 2.5l 128"wb, 4000 lbs

JEEP compass 2.0/2.5l, 103"wb, 3100 lbs

MAZDA CX-5 2.0L, 5M, 106" wb, 3200 lbs

MITSUBISHI Outlander 2.0l, 105"wb, 3000 lbs

NISSAN Frontier 2.5l, 125"wb, 3700 lbs

SCION xB 2.4, 102 wb, 3000 lbs

SUBARU Forester 2.5l, 104 wb, 3300lbs

TOYOTA Tacoma 2.7l, 127 wb, 3600 lbs

I really prefer a SUV/CUV over a pickup, but I could buy a pickup and a shell for the back, the MPG sucks, though.

I won't actually be in the market right now so hopefully in a year or two or three there will be more choices.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Perhaps it's because some of us don't like being unemployed. Personally I don't have an issue with other people buying foreign cars, I just think that people who do that shouldn't be elidgeable for any taxpayer funded welfare program.

Would you say the same to the Hostess workers who lost their jobs when their union wouldn't bargain with management? I.E. if you don't bargain in good faith, you can't have UI, Food Stamps or other aid?

Why limit such restrictions to those who buy foreign cars? Why not make the unions responsible for the benefits of those it represents, not the taxpayer?

After all, what's good for the goose is certainly good for the gander, correct?

Do you or do you not understand the brazen hypocrisy of the head of my UNION LOCAL driving a Mercedes?

If your stance is that he would be a hypocrite for driving anything other than the product his local union produced, I can see your logic.

Perhaps it's because some of us don't like being unemployed. Personally I don't have an issue with other people buying foreign cars, I just think that people who do that shouldn't be elidgeable for any taxpayer funded welfare program.

Deal! As long as the IRS will refund the percentage of my taxes that have been swallowed by those programs since I started work...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Deal! As long as the IRS will refund the percentage of my taxes that have been swallowed by those programs since I started work...
thumbsup2.gif

I got the impression that if I buy a non-domestic brand that all of my tax contributions were void from that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back