Pressed Pennies

My son wanted them wherever we went and now there's a large folder with hundreds of them from all over the country. They cost me only 51 cents each. :ROFLMAO: Does anybody else here have a bunch of those?

On a side note, for $20 I will sign your $1 note. 😜

Here are few pressed pennies from California. From the left top to the bottom right: Yosemite (Half Dome), Point Reyes National Seashore (Elk), Drive-through tree (in Leggett), Point Reyes Light, USS Pampanito WW2 submarine (Baleo Class)

You stirred up some good memories...I'll have to find mine.
I only found the ones in the picture. I don't know where the others are. I may have left them at my old place in the city when I moved. I will have to check. I have quite a few pressed pennies from aviation museums that depict nice planes.

There used to be a machine here in town that you could make those. It cost 10 cents. You inserted a dime and a penny and got to choose what you wanted on it.

There used to be a machine here in town that you could make those. It cost 10 cents. You inserted a dime and a penny and got to choose what you wanted on it.
Usually, they charge is 50 cents but sometimes they will give you a free penny. Sometimes we had to go back to the car and go treasure hunting under the seats.

Last edited:
All the smashed pennies I've see have curvature to them. They're more rolled than pressed. I used to get smashed pennies for a co-worker that collected them. The last ones I got were from Casa De Fruita

All the smashed pennies I've see have curvature to them. They're more rolled than pressed. I used to get smashed pennies for a co-worker that collected them. The last ones I got were from Casa De Fruita
They do have a slight curvature. The coin gets run between two rollers, one of which is a die with the design on it.

We were too poor as kid's to waste pennies on the railroad tracks when you could buy a gallon of gas for .20 cents. You could also buy a lot of candy for a nickel. We would re-purpose bb's from a bb gun when target shooting. We had nothing when we were kids but lived in a good solid home with good parents.

Today's zinc centered cent coins often yield souvenirs with indistinct, grey and copper colored edges.
It's just another indicator of the decay of society.

Funny, I climbed Half Dome in 1976 and there was no cent squisher at the top? ?
Yes, we save the old pennies for the press. Figured that out early on.

I tried this multiple times as a kid, and we could never find the penny after :(
Sometimes the penny will stick to the wheel and travel down the track before falling off. Sometimes the penny doesn't get squashed but boings off. That happens with slow-moving trains. We often superglued the coins to the track. 🤣

We get these at just about every place that we visit. Here’s a small sample of what we have from the past few years. They’ve been tossed into a cup in the office waiting to be put away. The rest are stored away with all of our old photos.

IMG_1321.jpeg
IMG_1320.jpeg

Back