Prepping Advice: What are you hoarding for "the bad times"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
What do you have in your prepper inventory? I've been stocking my basement shelves incase a major even happens that knocks out the food supply chain. I'm working on a 1 year+ food supply for 4 people.

What do you think of my prepping and what do you recommend? This is what I have so far:

GRAINS:
  • 5x 20lb bags of rice
  • 100x+ cans of beans
  • 40x boxes of pastas
  • 5x large boxes of steel cut oats
  • 20x large boxes of dried potatoes

Canned Proteins & Veggies:
  • 40x cans of chicken
  • 30x cans of tuna
  • 30x cans of spam
  • 50x cans of various soups
  • 50x cans of misc. veggies

Misc. (multiple containers of):
  • Coconut and olive oils
  • Peanut butter
  • Salt & spices
  • Honey & molasses
  • Jell-O's
  • Tea, instant coffee
  • Condiments

Tin Foil Hat Section:
  • Potassium Iodide kit (130mg) for 10 days
  • Been keeping all of my old antibiotics and medicines for years
  • Ammo

I know I have to at least triple the amount of food I have and am looking to add more 20lb bags dried beans and parboiled rice.

Access to a natural source of water without power but also have multiple cases of bottled water.

I didn't go the way of buying prepacked kits from my patriot supply or another reseller since I think those are just overpriced and repacked generic products.

What do you recommend?

No water purification or filtration?

If you have a yard, start a garden.
Good point on the filtration, besides a Brita, I really need to upgrade if I'm going to be drinking rain gutter water or from a creek.

I love gardening. Need to start soon, perfect timing now that spring is arriving.

Last edited:
My dad’s into the conspiracy theories.

Don’t really talk to him anymore.
I'm not looking at this situation from a conspiracy point of view expecting some kind of plot to unravel. But insurance is insurance and it's good to be prepared, best as one can be.

Supermarket out here was completely wiped out in one day March 2019 when covid went mainstream. Produce section was completely bare.
Now imagine if that happens again and the trucks can't keep resupplying the stores for whatever reason.

At this point getting food might be the least of your concerns but having a good amount saved up won't hurt though. I don't think I'm spending more than $1000 on all of this.

Interesting subject.
Everybody who considers it will prepare for it differently.

For me:
I'm more worried about weather disasters.
♦ Gas for the Generator
♦ Canned food / frozen foods
♦ Water
♦ Well maintained vehicle
♦ Good flashlights
♦ Candles
♦ Radio (battery powered)
♦ Cash
♦ List of what to take if I need to evacuate
Edit: I also prepare more for Winter than during Summer.

Sorry if my list is not what you were expecting.
I'm just not worried about Zombies or the Commies.
The weather is more real, watch the evening news.

Last edited:
I prep for hurricanes, as we seem to be a bullseye here in Jupiter, FL. I don't dismiss the following, but I don't prep for an EMP, riots, the end of the world or other prepper type reasons. We were hit directly 3x (hurricanes Francis, Jeanne and Wilma) and my preparations (Lister generator, jet fuel, secondary air conditioning and propane) were absolutely wonderful. We had 100PSI of clean water, a functioning 80 gal water heater, sufficient air conditioning, normal stove operation and plenty of generator power.

I have a hurricane resistant house (3/2) on 2 acres, have multiple water wells, a gasoline powered fire pump, 2 generator hookups on the outdoor electrical panel, propane cooktop/oven, hybrid water heater and other things to be somewhat self sufficient. I even have 4 big solar panels, inverters and batteries to run the chest freezer/fridge.

We did just fine each time. We were without power for 6 months. Living "off grid" was no real problem. As things slowly got back to normal, fuel purchases were no problem. But it's good to know that it was about $600 per month for fuel, at less than $2 per gal. Today, with $5 diesel, that would be $1200++ per mo.

Sadly, few of my neighbors were ready, and most had fridges and freezers full of rotting food, no water, no fuel and things got ugly for them within days.

EDIT: as far as getting around right after a hurricane, the street legal two stroke dirt bike was the best choice. Trees were down everywhere, many roads were impassable, and being able to lift the bike over fallen trees was critical. I needed to visit my ill father (on dialysis) 25 miles away and just getting out of the neighborhood was about impossible.

Last edited:
I prep for hurricanes, as we seem to be a bullseye here in Jupiter, FL. I don't dismiss the following, but I don't prep for an EMP, riots, the end of the world or other prepper type reasons. We were hit directly 3x (hurricanes Francis, Jeanne and Wilma) and my preparations (Lister generator, jet fuel, secondary air conditioning and propane) were absolutely wonderful. We had 100PSI of clean water, a functioning 80 gal water heater, sufficient air conditioning, normal stove operation and plenty of generator power.

I live on 2 acres, have multiple water wells, a gasoline powered fire pump, 2 generator hookups on the outdoor electrical panel, propane cooktop/oven, hybrid water heater and other things to be somewhat self sufficient. I even have 4 big solar panels, inverters and batteries to run the chest freezer/fridge.

We did just fine each time.

Sadly, few of my neighbors were ready, and most had fridges and freezers full of rotting food, no water, no fuel and things got ugly for them within days.
That's awesome, I would be more than happy with your setup!

I have enough fuel to run my fridge and freezer for a solid week with gas to spare for local driving. Redundant solar would be a nice addition.

Here is a video of my 1 cylinder Listeroid. That's my late friend Bob narrating. I also have a 20HP listeroid twin, which is capable of 12,000W or so, it will easily run my 5 ton AC. Both are incredibly fuel efficient. Of course, there are a few Gasoline gensets in my garage and hangar.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that the wonderful Honda EU2000 (or EU2200) generators are perfect for running fridges and freezers. As they cycle on and off, the genset runs up and down in RPM, managing fuel use well. In fact, while the suitcase generator is not very powerful, it can be managed to run 1 normal fridge and 2 chest freezers and even a small window AC unit, without much difficulty, as long as they don't get plugged in at the same time. Remember fridges and freezers cycle on and off, so it can be managed.

acme-tools-honda-eu2200i-generator.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a video of my 1 cylinder Listeroid. That's my late friend Bob narrating. I also have a 20HP listeroid twin, which is capable of 12,000W or so, it will easily run my 5 ton AC. Both are incredibly fuel efficient. Of course, there are a few Gasoline gensets in my garage and hangar.
Reminds me of the early 1900's put put farm equipment engines. Great way to repurpose it. I was wondering why you might need jet fuel, must run better on that instead of diesel? With 12KW running an entire house should be easy, like the hurricane never happened.

I have a Honda EB2800i. I figure I can run the fridge and freezer for a few hours to cool them down and then turn of the generator once temps increase again.

That list sounds good. Do you have or need a woodstove? In our climate a source of heat is needed for comfortable living for 5 months. Probably having a reasonably secure residence is just as necessary as food. We have a small hobby farm so there's always a few hundred pounds of meat lounging around the pasture, and I think things would have to get very dire for our community to go lawless and theft to become rampant.
Living in farm country, there is literally tons of grain per person stored locally, so with some common sense things should be fine for months, but if no fuel comes for planting season, that would be bad. There is a local ethanol plant and they even make some biodiesel, but I imagine that operation relies on some non-local chemicals.

What exactly are we "prepping" for here?
Not enough, or no food in the supermarket for a long time, possible food supply or logistics issues. I realize now my choice of the word prepper has conspiracy theory connotation to it but there are valid concerns to be ready for regardless of what's going on in the world now. Even without a major grid failure I think we are only a few major transformers away from massive blackouts if they were to fail. It takes a long time to build custom transformers.

That list sounds good. Do you have or need a woodstove? In our climate a source of heat is needed for comfortable living for 5 months. Probably having a reasonably secure residence is just as necessary as food. We have a small hobby farm so there's always a few hundred pounds of meat lounging around the pasture, and I think things would have to get very dire for our community to go lawless and theft to become rampant.
Living in farm country, there is literally tons of grain per person stored locally, so with some common sense things should be fine for months, but if no fuel comes for planting season, that would be bad. There is a local ethanol plant and they even make some biodiesel, but I imagine that operation relies on some non-local chemicals.
Woodstove is a good idea. Just a fireplace for now so winter could be heated with wood. Definitely need to inspect the chimney and pile up more wood though! I think you are much safer in farm country.

What do you have in your prepper inventory? I've been stocking my basement shelves incase a major even happens that knocks out the food supply chain. I'm working on a 1 year+ food supply for 4 people.

What do you think of my prepping and what do you recommend? This is what I have so far:

GRAINS:
  • 5x 20lb bags of rice
  • 100x+ cans of beans
  • 40x boxes of pastas
  • 5x large boxes of steel cut oats
  • 20x large boxes of dried potatoes

Canned Proteins & Veggies:
  • 40x cans of chicken
  • 30x cans of tuna
  • 30x cans of spam
  • 50x cans of various soups
  • 50x cans of misc. veggies

Misc. (multiple containers of):
  • Coconut and olive oils
  • Peanut butter
  • Salt & spices
  • Honey & molasses
  • Jell-O's
  • Tea, instant coffee
  • Condiments

Tin Foil Hat Section:
  • Potassium Iodide kit (130mg) for 10 days
  • Been keeping all of my old antibiotics and medicines for years
  • Ammo

I know I have to at least triple the amount of food I have and am looking to add more 20lb bags dried beans and parboiled rice.

Access to a natural source of water without power but also have multiple cases of bottled water.

I didn't go the way of buying prepacked kits from my patriot supply or another reseller since I think those are just overpriced and repacked generic products.

What do you recommend?
Tractor trailer load of toilet paper.

Nada. I only buy as needed.

What exactly are we "prepping" for here?

You never know. A big storm or other event can mess things up for quite a while. The gubbermint says for the first 72-96 hours you are on your own. That is very conservative.

Try several weeks without power or services. I did. Being prepared and being able to adapt also means you are better prepared to help others as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back