PP in a 2007 fusion, cool,...but how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the new Escape on PP, and bought a used 07 Fusion. Switched the Fusion to PP, and other than the fun of my first cartridge oil change, (AZ gave me the wrong cartridge) it went smooth. The only question is, I took 5 quarts of oil and the filter out of it. I put 4.5 quarts and a new filter back in per the owners manual(4.5 comes to the full mark on the Escape), and it just reads on the stick. One sight lists the capacity at 4.8 quarts. Is anybody running 5 or 5.5 quarts in the I4 2.3 Fusion?.

Note, the dealer told me they changed the oil on this lease return. I changed it right away anyway. It seemed beat/dirty, as well as being a 3/4 of a quart high. The air filter was so dirty, I doubted, their claim of running all maintenance through the shop before putting them on the lot.

I have a Mercury Milan which has the same motor.
I am running 5 quarts PP. Now has 43,000 miles problem free miles. The oil sticks they use in this engine, really is a pain to read.

Originally Posted By: cosynthetics
4.8quarts is what I found.

You related to any Marti's in central ohio?

You need to add an N for my last name, and there are a million of us!

Obviously not the same then : )

I worked with some Marti's so I had to ask.

I am in Central Ohio though!

I always appreciate your insight on here.

My Mazda 6 with the I4 2.3 currently has 4.9L (approximately 5.2 quarts) in it, and it's only a smidgen over on the dipstick. LC is right, those sticks are hard to read, so I really don't know what the right amount should be. All I know is when I go by the factory spec. the dipstick reads low.

Are you all using 5w-20?

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
Obviously not the same then : )

I worked with some Marti's so I had to ask.

I am in Central Ohio though!

I always appreciate your insight on here.

No problem!

I assume you passed on the intrepid then?

Cmarti said:
cosynthetics said:
I assume you passed on the intrepid then?

Not entirely, He took our money, put it down and entered the adult world of debt, with Dad backing him. The even worse news is my daughter got her license last week, and thinks the Intrepid is a hot ride (til she saves for her mustang convertible.......Oh brother) I think we will give it a shot. Paux took the time to respond to me on some issues, and put my fears to rest.

I went out last night and added a cup (8 oz) more. I just had to see some more on the dip stick!

Last edited:
Mazda 6i with the 2.3L and 4.5 quarts always reads exactly on the full mark for me.

I had an 06 fusion sel v6 that took 6 quarts i believe. So the newer fusions have the catridge filters now and not the spin on huh?

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
I had an 06 fusion sel v6 that took 6 quarts i believe. So the newer fusions have the catridge filters now and not the spin on huh?

Pretty sure V6's have spin-on and i4's have the cartridge. I am pretty sure it has always been that way.

Yes, it is that way. I think the Fusion has the same engine as my Mazda6s, which uses a spin-on filter. The I4 has the PIA cartridge. My car also specs 6 qts., but for some reason it only seems to take 5.5 with filter.

V-6 Fusion has the FL-820s and take right about 6 Quarts of oil (Officially supposed to be like 5.5 Qts but most seem to stay about the 1/2 qt low on the dipstick)
I-4 Fusion has the Cartridge filter and takes right about 4.7-4.8 quarts.

It seems that the overfill accounts for the excess amt you took out. I keep my Honda at the top mark on the stick.

I put 5.5 qts. in my Mazda6s, which specs 6 qts., and it brought it right up to the top line. That also included prefilling the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back