Power Tilt and Trim Fluid

Power Tilt and Trim fluid is used in the hydraulic system of a system to raise and lower the transom and trim it while underway. Normally it doesn’t need to be added to unless you seal problems. I haven’t checked the level in a long time. What recommendations do you have, OE fluid or just any transmission fluid etc.

I just use Supertech power tilt/trim fluid you can find at walmart...nothing fancy. I would not use ATF...it has additives you don't need.
If I had to guess at a substitute, I would use power steering fluid before I used ATF.

Cost really should not really be an issue as so little is used. I would probably get the product made for my boat engine. But at the end of the days it's hydraulic type fluid. If you are low on fluid then I would look for leaks. It's a sealed system.

I think Mercruiser specified non detergent 30 weight motor oil.

There are boating forums where people will give you answers and have years of experience. I have owned boats for 20+ years but don't consider myself an expert. I will share my experience. I use Dexron atf. I personally choose it over trim fluid. The boating forums generally say the seals will last 5 years longer on the rams with automatic transmission fluid.

My last engine was a 1999 model and I used trim fluid. It seemed to be getting weaker and I took the top off the pump to look at it. It had rust inside. I could not figure out what was happening. I filled it with dexron 3 and later checked the level and could tell it had some moisture getting in. It was pink not red. Never a sign of leakage and the trim fluid was clear so I did not notice water.

In 2012 I bought a new Mercury and on year 2 I emptied the ram and refilled everything with dexron 6. Works great and if you ever get a leak it is easy to see moisture in the atf. Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

Back