power steering fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: '98 Ford Windstar 56K miles

Reason: Power steering fluid left a grey stain on checking rag, concerned about metalic particle contamination.

Procedure: Ran motor and turned steering lock-to-lock several times. Stopped motor. Removed hose from power steering cooler and allowed fluid to drain, removed fluid fill cap, the fluid drained relatively slowly. Reconnected hose, refilled power steering pump and replaced cap, it took about 8 ounces each refill. Repeated procedure untill I used about 2 quarts of power steering fluid.

Conclusion: Power steering fluid appears better but it's still dark. I may repeat the procedure with another 2 quarts of power steering fluid.

Why don't you try adding a bit of Neutra to the fluid, it should help clean it up.

Well before I say what I am about to say let me put on my flame retardent underware! I have always had excellent results with a 1/2 quart of Marvels Myster Oil. The first vechile I did this was an emergency fix. My power steering hose split on my 1986 Toyota and with big mud tire it was hard to drive at slow speeds with out p/s. So I fixed the hose and put the belt back on. Well I did not have any tranny fluid to fill it up with. I did have a quart of MMO. I filled it up and drove it home. I forgott about it and 5 years latter when the origanal pump started to go at 14 year of age I drained the system and refilled it with fresh trany fluid. To this day it still does not leak and the fluid has never lost it's bright red color! I have no idea what is in MMO but it works great in power steering units to keep the flow control valve from sticking. The number one failure of pumps is the flow control valve gets stuck due to varnish. The number one nonmechanical cause of pump failure is p/s lines or resavoir leaking and letting the pump run dry.

JohnB, that's an amazing story. MMO is good for freeing up sticking valve lifters. Apparently it's good for power steering units too. (I think it's mostly made up of kerosene).

Rick in PA, are you sure that the Windstar specs aren't for Mercon ATF in the power steering? I thought Ford changed over to the Mercon in 96, in all their vehicles......?

quote:

Originally posted by TheLoneRanger:
Rick in PA, are you sure that the Windstar specs aren't for Mercon ATF in the power steering? I thought Ford changed over to the Mercon in 96, in all their vehicles......?

According to the owner's manual it says to use power steering fluid that meets Ford Specification ESW-M2C33-F such as Ford Premium Power Steering Fluid, E6AZ-19582-AA or an equivalent Type F Automatic Transaxle Fluid with a Ford registration number (an 8-digit number beginning with "2P" printed on the container.

The original fill was not red like ATF, it was relatively clear / honey colored like typical power steering fluid.

[ May 06, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

Update: Since the first 2 quarts didn't quite flush out the power steering fluid completely, I got another 3 quarts.

I decided to try flushing it out with the motor running. I disconnected the hoses to the power steering cooler and directed them into a catch pan. I was hoping that the fluid would only pump out when the steering wheel was turned. I had my wife start the van while I stood at the ready with a quart of power steering fluid to put into the power steering pump. It turned out that the power steering fluid pumped out faster than I could pour it in. I had my wife stop the motor after several seconds. While this procedure produced a good flush, I would not recommend it as it is a bit "dicey".

I ended-up reverting to the first posted procedure for the remaining power steering fluid. The results were good. The power steering fluid is clear.

Conclusion: I would recommend using 4 or 5 quarts of power steering fluid to flush the system.

Just adding 2 cents of experience.

In Mexico, especially in Mexico City, you need to be able to turn at high speeds due to bad turns and bad drivers. The consequences can be deadly even at low speeds.

I noticed when I first came down here, that my steering in my Lexus could not handle the streets. Moreover, the PS fluid was really hot, and I noticed the level went down after 4 months.

I brought some Valvoline Synthetic PSF and put in. BIG DIFFERENCE. Car turned much better, and I felt better control. My initial concerns about leaking proved to be unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back