post your latest transmission lubricant change.

04 Chevy avalanche, 163,700 miles on truck, 4L60, drain and fill through trans pan drain plug
Out: mix of dex/merc, maxlife atf, Castrol dex- vi about 3 qts
In:
311821A5-93EA-409C-90C5-B2C83CB9DE6C.jpeg

2006 Toyota Tacoma, 2.7L, 2WD, A340E transmission, 4 Speed
123k on truck, I am almost certain it has never been changed. I bought the truck 2 years ago.
The pan had a boat load of RTV on it, a pain to get off and a pain to clean off.
In a surprise to myself, I bought an ATP TF-211 filter kit from Amazon (Not my usual M.O.)
Seemed like a very good filter, from what I could tell. Came with a nice rubber gasket at crush washer for the drain plug.
Out: About six quarts of fluid, let drain overnight with the filter out.
In: Six quarts of OEM T-IV fluid. (Was probably about a half a quart over-full)
Five hundred miles later, I pulled the plug and then re-filled with four quarts of OEM T-IV fluid.
The fluid that came out each time basically looked like the new stuff that I poured in.

2017 4runner with 67k, drain n fill 3.5 qts of toyota ws, plan on doing it again at 100k.

2011 Camry with 89k, drain n fill 2.5 qts of toyota WS, plan on doing it again at 125k if we still own it.

Used the new mityvac MV6400 I just bought to dispense the fluid, works great 👍.

2006 Toyota Tacoma, 2.7L, 2WD, A340E transmission, 4 Speed
123k on truck, I am almost certain it has never been changed. I bought the truck 2 years ago.
The pan had a boat load of RTV on it, a pain to get off and a pain to clean off.
In a surprise to myself, I bought an ATP TF-211 filter kit from Amazon (Not my usual M.O.)
Seemed like a very good filter, from what I could tell. Came with a nice rubber gasket at crush washer for the drain plug.
Out: About six quarts of fluid, let drain overnight with the filter out.
In: Six quarts of OEM T-IV fluid. (Was probably about a half a quart over-full)
Five hundred miles later, I pulled the plug and then re-filled with four quarts of OEM T-IV fluid.
The fluid that came out each time basically looked like the new stuff that I poured in.
In my experience, the 1st spill is the dirtiest. Maybe breaking materials? Dunno.
Good job on maintianing your Taco.

The dealership didn't insist on putting in WS fluid. Did you supply the new stuff?
A large number of dealers won't put in OEM fluid unless specifically asked, and paid extra, to do so. They'll put in whatever they can get in bulk and usually receive a "warranty" from the supplier in the case of failure. BG fluids are a common universal fluid at Hyundai and Honda dealers in my area, and I'd imagine Valvoline is used at a lot of dealers as well.

I went back to oem Honda dw1 in our 2016 odyssey the Castrol transmax full synthetic multi-vehicle wasn’t as smooth. It was usable but the dw1 is much more “normal” feeing for the vehicle

A large number of dealers won't put in OEM fluid unless specifically asked, and paid extra, to do so. They'll put in whatever they can get in bulk and usually receive a "warranty" from the supplier in the case of failure. BG fluids are a common universal fluid at Hyundai and Honda dealers in my area, and I'd imagine Valvoline is used at a lot of dealers as well.
All of the dealers around here use OEM fluid, but will insist on billing out a MOC snake oil kit.

Whether or not the MOC kit makes it into the car is a different story.

Spin on filter change on an Allison 2500RDS 6 speed transmission. Similar model as the Allison 1000 found in GM trucks but does not recommend replacing the pan filter unless the transmission is being overhauled. The spin-on gets changed every 50,000mi and complete fluid change is done at 150,000mi. Trans fill is TES-295.

2003 Honda Civic EX manual transmission

Out: 1.6qts Honda MTF
In: 1.6qts Honda MTF

I sent VOA and UOA samples into Blackstone. Will post results when they become available.

1992 Volvo 240 Wagon, AW70 transmission, 128,540 miles,
Out: Unknown
In: Amalie Full Syn DEX VI

Cooler line exchange, 15 quarts.

Changed the CVT fluid in my daughter‘s Sentra at 40,000 miles. Pretty easy job, just a bit messy! Used the Castrol Transmax CVT fluid. I followed the online tutorials, drain what’s there, refill with 4 quarts, run engine for 20-30 minutes to warm up and drain the extra. Shifts great, but it also did before I did it too. Just want this little thing to last her through college and beyond!

1992 Volvo 240 wagon, AW70, 129,030 miles
Out: unknown
In: CQ Full Syn DEX VI

Cooler line exchange with my better half moving the shifter through the gears.

This is the second time exchange since getting the car. I know the previous owners drove the car gently. But the fluid was much darker than I’m used to.

Last edited:
04 Chevy avalanche Z71 4x4, 164k miles on truck
Out: ATP filter (2.5 years old approx 25k miles), mix of dex/merc, dex vi, Maxlife atf
In: AC delco filter (filtran) 5 quarts of Castrol dex/merc
The magnet in the drain pan had some fine metal on it but not too bad. Color of the old fluid was dark red, no burn smell. Shifts like normal.

2015 Mazda 5 at local shop. 135,000 miles. Amsoil SS Multi ATF.
Had them do the drain/fill. A pleasing 4/9ths of the trans capacity drained, so a nice, potent refreshing of the fluid.
Back at 60,000 miles had the mazda shop do a full replacement of M5. I did a couple of siphon/refills since then.

Back