post your latest transmission lubricant change.

BMW Z4 Sport 5 peed
Getag B+ Gearbox

Drain & Fill with Pentosin MTF 2 which is a fully synthetic gear oil with all purpose performance for manual transmissions formulated with modern EP-additives, high shear stable VI improvers and premium synthetic oils. Pentosin MTF 2 improves
synchronization characteristics and was lowered to SAE
75W-80 for better fuel economy.

BMW Ref 83 22 0 309 031 & API GF-4

2004 Honda Odyssey

4 x drain and fill with Honda DW-1 ATF to better dilute the old Z1 ATF. Replaced Transmission Filter concurrent with the first D&F. Tranny shifts much smoother now ... noticeable upon first D&F.

Originally Posted By: Truckedup
Originally Posted By: Greg L
I would also have to agree with SXE10 and Truckedup above.

Had put in the same Redline MT90 (75w90) fluid in my manual SM465 Muncie tranny earlier this year & shifts like butter. Absolutely smooth...especially on that tranny that is 43 years old.

GL

Greg,I did have good results with the Mineral GL4 oil,,forget the brand name, in my 50 Chevy PU SM 420.

I recently changed the lube in my 1961 SM420 and did a search for moden lube recommendations for it. Some use 50W engine oil. I found this site that has a bunch of drivetrain info mostly for jeeps, and for each transmission discussed in the knowledge section, there is a lube recommendation. It says 50W engine oil gives faster shifting if the vehicle won't be used in high temp conditions.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm

Just did a "roadside flush" on one of my Savana vans. Blew out a cooler connection and pumped all the fluid out on the road!

Nice guy called me in traffic, told me there was red all over the place. I was walking distance from the parts place, bought two clamps and a piece of 3/8 hose and fixed it on the spot.

5 quarts of Dex VI by Castrol.

6 Gallons TranSynd flushed through the old Allison! Shift's are so precise, it's amazing! DEXRON VI has no place in an allison! Also replaced Allison spin-on and cleaned magnet.

'94 Mustang, 180K miles, T5 manual.

In: 2.75 quarts Havoline Dex/Merc.

Out: 2.75 quarts Valvoline Dex/Merc.

~13K miles on fluid. Still shifts very smooth.

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 109,712 miles
AX-15 Five-Speed Manual
Out- Mopar 75W-90 GL3
In- Mobil 1 10W-30

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
6 Gallons TranSynd flushed through the old Allison! Shift's are so precise, it's amazing! DEXRON VI has no place in an allison! Also replaced Allison spin-on and cleaned magnet.

I love the way Allisons shift when everything's working right. The only indication it's shifted is the change in r.p.m.

BTW: Running Mobil 1 ATF in a Dmax/1000 combo - works GREAT.
Did filter and fluid drain at 38685 miles.

Last edited:

Is Dex 6 even spec'd for an Allison??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

There's a lot of info on this subject.
Short answer: below a certain serial number, there is a compatibility problem with seals and Dex VI. Newer s/n are no problem.
The best setup is Transynd.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

It's in my 09. No problems at all.

I never stated it would cause problems. TranSynd (any certified TES-295 fluid)is the only fluid Allison recommends in their transmissions. Call them and see what they say about DEXRON VI. TranSynd is much better suited to heavy use than Dex VI. The only reason allison allowed it to be recommended was because GM owned them for several years. If you go to durmax forums and look for Mr TranSynd(he was on GM's ATF board for years and recommends TranSynd as well) you will be able to read about the formulation of TranSynd(joint venture between Castrol and Allison) and how things went after GM aquired Allison.

TranSynd and Dexron VI have similar friction characteristics, but vary greatly in viscosity. I'd rather not use a fluid that's just OK. No long term studies have been conducted with allisons using DEXRON VI. TranSynd has a million miles or more of UOA's and OTR testing to back up it's use. Its in fact the only fluyid we use on our fire trucks and rescues. Many of these vehicles have fairly high mileage with zero failures. UOA's look stellar even with 100k on the fluid.

Last edited:
2006 Mercury Mariner hybrid. Changed trans fluid with 5.3 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife ATF, rear differential with 36oz~ Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 and changed out the power transfer unit fluid with 12oz Valvoline Professional Series 75w-140 synthetic (I got it very cheap, going to change it often) because they're notorious for having a lot of metal debris, which mine did. There was about 1/4" of metal shavings stuck to the fill plug magnet.

Neither the transmission nor the PTU use a filter.

2001 Silverado 4.8 - 150k

Out- Don't remember, but a pan drop and filter change was done at 75k

In - Pan drop, filter and fluid exchange. Used about 4 gallons of Valvoline Maxlife

ETA: Also added a bottle of Lubeguard Red to the mix.

Last edited:
Back