post your latest transmission lubricant change.

Nice work! I'll be doing the fluid in my 8hp in my BMW soon with HPL green. What metal pan did you use?

Thanks! I chose a pan by In Power Developing. I know there's lots of good pans out there, but I had to work with tight clearance for the undertray so I couldn't really fit one with a much expanded capacity.

Overall, it's a really well designed pan (almost a copy of the OEM, but with a bit more capacity and better drain plug). I took a chance on the fitment because they didnt list my specific application, but took a chance since it was spec'd for a lot of BMWs with 8HP70. I'm very happy with it.

Some info:

2003 GMC Duramax Allison 1000, drained Mobil 1 full synthetic, at 204,000. (3rd change since new) Refilled with new Allison branded filter and magnet, with Transynd 668, took 7.5 quarts. Will run 100 miles, drain and refill, as per "the experts", in a video from Dave's Garage in Utah.

2020 Infiniti QX60 Luxe AWD
Odometer: 37,703 miles
Out: factory fill of Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid
In: Valvoline synthetic CVT fluid (blue bottle)

QX60 CVT CHANGE 042924.JPG

I used the very same on a family member's 2.5L Rogue. Working fine after ~30k miles of use. Wonder if you checked out the NS-3 quart price for kicks and giggles? If you did, I'm sure you're smiling with the savings.
I have 4 quarts of Idemitsu NS-3 fluid back in NC that I got at a Napa sale for $12.50 a quart. But here in FL I forced myself into a CVT fluid change and spontaneously managed to find the Valvoline CVT fluid also at Napa for $8.99 a quart. So far, so good.

I have 4 quarts of Idemitsu NS-3 fluid back in NC that I got at a Napa sale for $12.50 a quart......
Checking just today on NS-3 cost today, I'm thinking that "sale" price very tough to duplicate today. MSRP $25/qt, no joke. Amazon has 5qts, ~$88. With extensive search, might be able to do a tiny bit better. Not the $9/qt you paid for Valv CVT though. I think it will do fine for you.

Edit, Just noticed I misread your posted. You said Idemitsu "NS-3", not Nissan. That explains that price more. Honestly, between the Idemitsu and the Valvoline CVT you used, I personally wouldn't pay more for the former.

Last edited:
Checking just today on NS-3 cost today, I'm thinking that "sale" price very tough to duplicate today. MSRP $25/qt, no joke. Amazon has 5qts, ~$88. With extensive search, might be able to do a tiny bit better. Not the $9/qt you paid for Valv CVT though. I think it will do fine for you.

Edit, Just noticed I misread your posted. You said Idemitsu "NS-3", not Nissan. That explains that price more. Honestly, between the Idemitsu and the Valvoline CVT you used, I personally wouldn't pay more for the former.
When I bought it, I even thought there was a chance Idemitsu makes the NS-3 for the Nissan label.

When I bought it, I even thought there was a chance Idemitsu makes the NS-3 for the Nissan label.
It could well be, IDK, But if the aftermarket ATF fluids for Honda are any kind of guide, not one of them matches the VOA of DW1 of Z1. Even those that claim some kind of 'special' single use for Honda only. Not saying the the Idemitsu "NS-3" won't work well, no reason to think it won't. Just that I have my doubts it's identical to Nissan NS-3.

Back