Possible A-10 Warthog Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
Originally Posted By: hatt
If you guess wrong and lose the A10 you lose capability.

True. But like I said, the cost vs. benefit for the A-10 is no longer there. It's become one of those "nice-to-have" things we can't afford to keep around. Too many drawbacks associated with the non-permissive environment threat, and lots of other ways to get the job done better for less cost. Like you said, there won't be any large superpower ground engagements, and that is what is was designed for - killing Russian tanks.
But they're still good at killing Russian tanks that everyone is using. And American equipment we've left all over.

I'm not seeing the cheaper options to fight our likely conflicts. Million $$ missiles? Billion $$ planes? Bullets are cheap. Slow low tech planes built like a tank are cheap.

The 10 year old B-52s that I worked Bomb/Nav on 45 years ago seemed old and a bit grungy to me. They've been rebuilt/improved over the years and are still flying today.
Later, I was involved with the Gau8 ammo testing with Honeywell and it's still a WOW gun imo.
I don't see why they can't take surviving A-10s and hang improved wings and power on them and carry on even better and longer.

If you guess wrong and lose the A10 you lose capability.

True. But like I said, the cost vs. benefit for the A-10 is no longer there. It's become one of those "nice-to-have" things we can't afford to keep around. Too many drawbacks associated with the non-permissive environment threat, and lots of other ways to get the job done better for less cost. Like you said, there won't be any large superpower ground engagements, and that is what is was designed for - killing Russian tanks.
But they're still good at killing Russian tanks that everyone is using. And American equipment we've left all over.

I'm not seeing the cheaper options to fight our likely conflicts. Million $$ missiles? Billion $$ planes? Bullets are cheap. Slow low tech planes built like a tank are cheap.

Even slow, low tech planes cost a LOT of money to keep. The A-10, for example, needs spare parts inventory, trained maintenance personnel, training centers for those personnel, as well as trained operators.

Further, as airplanes age, new structures have to be built (wing spars, fuselage parts, etc.) at several times their original cost (like custom building a frame for a 1973 Chevy, it's going to cost a lot more than when that Chevy was built) and more and more of these parts have to be made from scratch as the airplane ages. That drives up cost/flight hour. That continual increase in cost/flight hour with age is what caused the F-14 to be retired, even though it was replaced by an arguably less capable airplane.

Depending on estimates, the A-10 costs $700-800 million/year to keep in operation. That's not a small amount of money for the USAF. IF you can deliver the same number of bombs/target (and generally, CAS needs bombs these days, not a big gun) using existing platforms, then the calculus becomes dollar/bombs delivered on target.

The DOD is under tremendous financial pressure as weapon systems, troop pay, and other costs, climb while the overall budget remains (in inflation adjusted dollars) flat. So, every branch of the DOD, including the USAF, is looking at "vertical cuts" - eliminating entire platforms, including their support infrastructure of people, facilities, training, supply chain, and procurement.

Cutting 20% of platform, for example, retiring 15 out of 75 B-1 Bombers, doesn't yield a 20% cost savings, it only yields a small savings because the support $$ are unchanged. So, you could cut 20% of the F-16s and only save 5% of the program cost, because training facilities, supply chain, and other overhead aren't reduced, and they are now amortized over a smaller number of aircraft. That actually drives the cost/flight hour up on the remaining aircraft, which takes you in the opposite direction that you wanted initially.

So, the requirement for future aircraft depends on the mission parameters, and the capabilities needed to perform that mission. If, as you claim in your analysis, we will be fighting in low threat environments, then maybe the A-10 makes sense. But if you need to provide capabilities suited to a peer, or near-peer conflict, you need to find the money to fund platforms that work in that high-end conflict.

If those platforms are able to deliver bombs at a similar cost/bomb on target, then there is no need for the A-10, and the vertical cut makes perfect sense. There are literally hundreds of folks in the Pentagon, working with classified information, to make those threat assessments and capability requirements determinations. Those are the folks that should be driving the future procurement for DOD, not politicians, and not the vocal group that favors a particular platform based on emotional attachment to that platform.

Nearly eighty years ago, those same kinds of groups were vocal in their objection to the "new" semi-automatic rifle, caliber 30, M-1. It doesn't work as well as the old rifle, it's more expensive, it won't work in the mud, we already have a great rifle in the 1903 and other arguments.

Yet, when the M-1 hit the beaches of Normandy, it worked well in the dirt and water of an amphibious assault and gave our soldiers a huge advantage on the battlefield over those troops equipped with the K-98. By some estimates, our guys enjoyed a 2-1 advantage over the German and Italian forces they faced, because of that weapon.

A weapon that was developed as a result of mission analysis, requirements generation, and procurement that happened outside of the vocal objections of those hanging on to the past.

Quote:
If, as you claim in your analysis, we will be fighting in low threat environments, then maybe the A-10 makes sense. But if you need to provide capabilities suited to a peer, or near-peer conflict, you need to find the money to fund platforms that work in that high-end conflict.

Do you foresee us fighting an advanced near-peer military? I don't see it. Our conflicts over the next couple decades are going to be similar to the ones in the last 70 years. We're going to dominate the air. The enemy won't be able to use their high tech air defenses. A-10s meandering about looking for Toyota pickups and vintage military equipment will do just fine.

You have a lot of IFs. We know the A-10 CAN. Today. Apparently pilots love the A-10. Soldiers on the ground love the A-10. Guys in offices thousands of miles away from the bullets and bombs don't like the A-10.

If you want to develop a superior replacement for the A-10 that's fine. Get it online and then cancel the A-10. I haven't seen the system that can directly replace it.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I don't see why they can't take surviving A-10s and hang improved wings and power on them and carry on even better and longer.

Pretty simple really - they are too easy to shoot down. Same for the B-52. Great, great aircraft in their day, but their time is long past. They were so good, many people become emotionally attached, especially when the bases and manufacturing plants are in their local jurisdiction.

It will be sad to see our airmen getting killed in these planes when they become pressed into service under the wrong circumstances. I'm especially worried about an unseen denegerative failure cropping up in the B-52, simply due to it's age. Many studies have shown it holding up well, but you can't be too sure.

If you want to develop a superior replacement for the A-10 that's fine. Get it online and then cancel the A-10. I haven't seen the system that can directly replace it.

We don't need, nor do the top brass want, a "direct (superior?) replacement" for the A-10. It's a one-trick pony (CAS), we can no longer afford. Almost every military aircraft deployed in the past 20 years has been a multi-role platform. The F-22 is a flying network router. Even the rotary wing fleet does double or triple duty in some cases. Just look at how many missions the Blackhawk has been modified for. You can't do that with the A-10. The multi-mission designation is the ONLY thing keeping the B-1 and B-52 in the fleet right now.

Last edited:
It's always funny to read about .mil trying to save money by axing the lowest cost solutions and replacing it with the most expensive solutions they can find. You can fly all the A-10s all year for the price of 4-5 F-35 which are inferior to the A-10 at doing A-10 stuff. And then the F-35 cost 2-3x as much to put in the air. That's not even mentioning the F-35 isn't ready for prime time.

What needs to happen is the A-10s need to be turned over to the Army who can appreciate them. CAS should be an Army job anyway.

Just as in the past they know the cost of everything but the value of nothing!
Its my understanding that the USAF tried to give the A10 to the Army along with the CAS and the Army said No Thanks!

Last edited:
It seems there's usually some disconnect between leadership(really should be called management/admin)and the end users and their 'customers'. The A-10 would be a good example.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3

Pretty simple really - they are too easy to shoot down. Same for the B-52. Great, great aircraft in their day, but their time is long past. They were so good, many people become emotionally attached, especially when the bases and manufacturing plants are in their local jurisdiction.

It will be sad to see our airmen getting killed in these planes when they become pressed into service under the wrong circumstances. I'm especially worried about an unseen denegerative failure cropping up in the B-52, simply due to it's age. Many studies have shown it holding up well, but you can't be too sure.
What is the cost per hour of the dinosaur? The B52 is the perfect tool for our failed police actions.

Originally Posted By: dinkydau
Just as in the past they know the cost of everything but the value of nothing!

Considering value and cost at the same time, a compromise keeps Warthog fans happy.

It's never as easy or simple as you might think.
wink.gif

FullSizePic
A-10C_Davis_Montham_NOV_2013a.jpg

Saw this plane ^^^^ and many of it's pals in the air many, many, times over the course of the last decade - when they weren't deployed. They moved them all to Georgia a bit less than two years ago.

Looks like a big waste of money to retire these planes. The air force always wants stuff that goes faster, higher, and costs ( a lot ) more.

Originally Posted By: Win

Looks like a big waste of money to retire these planes. The air force always wants stuff that goes faster, higher, and costs ( a lot ) more.
Certainly what it looks like. Retiring $20M planes, we already own, that cost $15K/hr to fly and $3K trigger pulls to replace with $120M-250M planes that cost $40K/hr to fly and $100K+ trigger pulls to save money doesn't add up. The F-35 project has already cost $400,000,000,000 and they haven't flown a single combat mission I'm aware of. Clearly saving $$ wasn't the goal.

Last edited:
Ridiculous overspending is what makes the Congress fat with money. Expect more of the same. It will take hard work to change the status quo.

So maybe we buy one less F35 and keep the A10 for a while longer
wink.gif

But in all seriousness, I appreciate your reasoned analysis of the situation.

I hadn't realized the serious limitations you pointed out.

So better suited for destroying Soviet tanks pouring through the Fulda gap than high elevation CAS in places further south and east.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Depending on estimates, the A-10 costs $700-800 million/year to keep in operation. That's not a small amount of money for the USAF. IF you can deliver the same number of bombs/target (and generally, CAS needs bombs these days, not a big gun) using existing platforms, then the calculus becomes dollar/bombs delivered on target.

I still haven't figured out why we're flying the wings off of our fast-movers when we have planes like the A29 in our inventory.

The A10 is old; people just don't want to let go of the GAU-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back