POR15 and other rust preventers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am now paranoid about winter salt on this good condition Volvo. I was tempted to buy either 1. Some POR15, and apply it to exposed underside surfaces and maybe the shocks/tie rods.. 2. This stuff http://ww2.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ot...or/?GroupID=200 3. Both.

I really, really want to keep this car cosmetically good. Mechanically, too. And I have a schedule that will be consistent with its use to do these things (Timing belt, taken to Sam's that is good with cars, can flush coolant and replace with Volvo coolant, do it good and proper, no shortcuts that can bite you later, etc.) so my concern is about the salt on the body. I want it to stay nice.

I think this car was used only a little bit as it is technically low miles as in exactly 10,000 a year just about (1999-2012, MY2000) and maybe it has had upkeep, maybe not. Still.. I suspect gentle use, and I want to keep it going. POR15 and the AMSOIL protector for underbody use? Thanks!

Flush the under carrage with fresh water at least once a week and after a snow storm. Volvo's are very resistant to rust.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I use the Amsoil HD MP with great success here in Minnesnowta.

It works well here in NY too.

Originally Posted By: zking67
I have used The POR 15 with good results It comes in clear if you need it Good stuff

Cheers !

Mike Z

Does POR-15 work as a rustproofing compound, or does it convert rust?

I would suggest you use Carwell products. It protects metal and seeps into seems and can be sprayed into cavities. You can buy Carwell products from the manufacturer. I went to an actual Carwell shop and had them do my two vehicles. They use a long wand and get it into places and drill a few holes for the wand and removed the tail lights to get access from there.

POR-15 or Eastwood Rust Reformer is not the same as Carwell or Amsoil HD Metal Protector. Its good for painting over rusty stuff as a final coat. Its not going to soak into seams or go into cavities. I think Loctite Extend is similar. Its a hard paint that seals moisture from getting to the metal. It would be OK on prepped areas that you can paint with a brush.

I am using Extend on the metal areas of a 12K GVW trailer. Its a trailer, so no need for a super fancy finish like you have on a car.

The OP is in Boston, get on I90 and go about 1 hour west past Albany to the Carwell shop. I am thinking best to have them do the initial application and then I can do touch up.

Another option is Fluid Film, but people say it does not last as long as Carwell. Carwell is the same as Krown in Canada I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back