Popular Mechanics - premium gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No modern gas engine is going to do anything but dial back the timing when filled with low quality/octane fuel.

They are completely unharmed by the experience. Most of them will not even ping.

I wonder about that though, with de-creased ignition timing you have hotter exhaust temps. and probably other side affect`s from it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I hate when the manual states (which mine does) select 87 octane fuel. For increased performance,the use of 91 octane or higher is recommended.
54.gif
Now I know this is simple to understand,but if you read into it too much,you can get a little confused.

Ever since I read This Article I've been under the impression that automakers are reluctant to recommend premium even when it would benefit power and fuel economy. Many consumers don't want to pay extra for premium and will avoid cars that require it, so the automakers will say that regular is okay to use.

From the article:

Quote:
The Accord V-6 ratings assume regular-grade fuel, and Honda will market it as a regular-fuel engine. But — pssst — it's good for another 10 hp and 10-plus lbs.-ft. on premium, acknowledges V-6 engineer Asaki.

Last edited:
My 2.0T is very sensitive to fuels as for as how it runs, but also deposits can be an issue.

The Astra calls for 87 but runs much better on 89-91.

If a tank of gs lasts you a week, it's likely worth the buck or two. If you are burning a tank a day on the hwy, just put in reg 87 to maintain hwy speed.

It goes by the driver too. The same car I need good gas for my mom would do fine on 87.

My car has a warning in the owners manual that if you are out of fuel and at least 92 octane is not available to only put enough fuel in to get you to a station with 92+ and immediately fill with premium.

It pings pretty badly on 93 I can only imagine what would happen with 87. It has knock sensors too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
My car has a warning in the owners manual that if you are out of fuel and at least 92 octane is not available to only put enough fuel in to get you to a station with 92+ and immediately fill with premium.

It pings pretty badly on 93 I can only imagine what would happen with 87. It has knock sensors too.

What make/modelyear is that? And are you using E10 gas?

06 Infiniti g35 6mt. All of our gas around here is ethanol 'enriched' up to 10%

I don't know how much of a knock it takes for the ecu to retard timing, but I have driven other cars like mine that ping similarly. Mine has been doing it since new, 105k miles ago. The auto transmission cars do not require premium (but they recommend it) and do not ping. They are rated 20hp less.

I talked to a company that does ECU remapping for these cars to see about either pulling back the timing a bit or richening it up, either one would probably make it happier and with more fuel it might run better too. I tow a trailer regularly and would like to get rid of the pinging if possible.

Well if it`s pinging pretty bad on 93 octane,then you`v got a problem!

Agreed.

You should never hear any knocking, this can quickly fracture rings and damage pistons.

My car runs fine on 87, 89, 91, 93. You almost cannot tell any real difference. I'm sure the outer edges of the power curve are altered but it's hard to tell.

Mine needs 91 minimum, according to the manual. I haven't ever put less than 93 in it, but I know it's pretty sensitive. If I drive like a grandma around town for too long, and let it carbon up a bit, it'll start to ping lightly under moderate throttle (not a WOT though). No knock sensors on it, and fairly aggressive timing. The fix is to either give it a good Italian tuneup or run a tank of Regane through it.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
CBR - Are you sure your knock sensors are working?

+1

Just about everyone I know [including me] had issues with pinging until the knock sensor came out.

Same with my Sentra. 93 didn't help. Two bottles of Techron and it is gone after all these years of nearly constant pinging. Try an additive with PEA before giving up.

I was told one way to check knock sensors was to tap on the engine with a hammer while it's running. If the engine stumbles then the knock sensors are working.

you have something wrong with one of your cars if it pings on 93

06 Infiniti g35 6mt. All of our gas around here is ethanol 'enriched' up to 10%

I don't know how much of a knock it takes for the ecu to retard timing, but I have driven other cars like mine that ping similarly. Mine has been doing it since new, 105k miles ago. The auto transmission cars do not require premium (but they recommend it) and do not ping. They are rated 20hp less.

I talked to a company that does ECU remapping for these cars to see about either pulling back the timing a bit or richening it up, either one would probably make it happier and with more fuel it might run better too. I tow a trailer regularly and would like to get rid of the pinging if possible.

I wonder if you could describe that "pinging" a bit? Could it be valve carbon, as rslifkin described?

I say this because I think on your '06, it's reasonable to assume that if there is indeed pinging (due to detonation), your knock sensor should cause the ignition timing to fully retard. And when that happens, you'll probably get a CEL with a knock sensor code.

But, if it truly is knocking, then I do agree with you that E10 gas has detrimental effects on our cars. While ethanol is knock-resistant, it's unfortunately more prone to pre-ignition at higher pressures. But, you're not suffering from pre-ignition, because if you were, you're engine would be toast!

Before going to ignition re-mapping, you could also try what NGK published in a TSB in canada. They recommended that with the new ethanol gas, go one plug range cooler, and set a narrower gap by 0.010" (but not to go below 0.035").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back