Polaris ATV and Utility Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
remmious, those noises you mentioned are pretty normal for a 500. Great engine and quad too, btw!
cheers.gif

I guess who's to say Blackstone is 'off' but these numbers look more reasonable for the purpose of the oil. We might need a 3rd opinion on this one.

Quote:

Because we do a lot of lubes for gear boxes and hydraulic units we use the 40°C so it reflects the ISO VG rating. People here would be confused otherwise.

100cSt @ 40 ~ 11cSt @ 100°C

OK I understand - still only an estimate, depends on the fluid, really the Viscosity Index of the fluid. Don't want to push it....can they do a 100°C vis?

Well he said we have a good baseline so it sounds like I can keep sending in samples as we go. Pretty nice of him to do this for me. I'll see if he could do a 100°C viscosity test next time but I agree it would a more representative value.

From Polaris Industries - MSDS 0W-40 Synthetic

SECTION 9 PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Vapor pressure: Negligible at ambient conditions.
API gravity: 35.2 at 15.6°C (60.0°F).
Density: 7.07 lbs/gal at 15.6°C (60.0°F).
Specific gravity: 0.849 at 15.6°C (60.0°F).
Solubility: Negligible in water, soluble in most petroleum solvents.
Percent volatile: Negligible.
Vapor density (air=1): Greater than air.
Evaporation rate
(n-Butyl Acetate=1):
Negligible.
Odor: Mild, bland hydrocarbon odor.
Appearance: Green, slightly viscous fluid.
Viscosity: 14.0 cSt at 100°C (212°F).
70.0 cSt at 40°C (104°F).
Boiling point: Not determined.
Pour point: -50°C (-58°F) maximum.
Other: Not determined.

Notice the viscosity is 70cSt @ 40°C. Big difference from 100. I guess direct line correlation from 40°C stuff to 100°C isn't very close at all. 70cSt 2 100 puts it at a SAE 20 but 14cSt falls right into the SAE 40. So really I'm left with just a comparison, I lost about 54% viscosity.

Ok, had to run to a meeting where they announced a big (multi-hundred) layoff.
frown.gif
mad.gif

The viscosity is kinda stumping. A verification sample would be nice.

What really would be great would be as you say, is TBN & maybe fuel while you're at it.
cool.gif

TBN on these babies means a lot the way they're run !!

Does this oil really hold a 0 viscosity range (from the 0w-40 rating)for Winter??
dunno.gif

It would also be great is to see Amsoil's AFF in virgin state & abused state for comparison analysis.
drool.gif

Because the viscosity was tested at a single temperature point and we are trying to compare to other ratings at different tempertures really won't add up. VI plays a role in that and changes over time also. The difference between the 70cSt and the 100cSt should have been closer but I will get more VOA run soon enough. I will probably switch to AFF and get another VOA and UOA done. This is great and the more I can contribute and learn from others is well worth it. The lab is set up to test TBN or TAN so that can't get done but if I remember fuel tests are pretty easy to run.

As for the 0 viscosity range you kind of lost me. 0W doesn't represent an actual viscosity value but a test that measures cranking pressure at different cold tempertures. Yes, a 5W is 'lighter' than a 10W at cold temperatures but that's not what is measured. For some reason I'm blanking out the units but you will see something simular to:
0W: 6600 @ -30°F
5W: 6200 @ -25°F

etc... I'm sure someone who knows this stuff inside and out will straighten out my rambling.

I will run oil samples each change out and post the results.

offtopic.gif
Tonight I went to a local surplus store that I knew carried some Amsoil products, well they had the AFF 0w-40 for $6.79qt. So I will switch after this next oil change.

I also was thinking back to the last oil change and with the wear particles. I remember I couldn't find the drain plug for the crankcase and the book says it holds approximately a cup if not drained. So I didn't remove all the oil so hopefully with a 'full' oil change I will see a drop in wear particles. I did after further looking found it (hole in the skid plate you have to reach up into). I'll have VOA and UOA's done on the AFF.
cheers.gif

Thanks for the update. Also, thanks for the comment on the layoff - I hope it ain't me, but if it is, it'll cost them in severance since I've been there 17 years.

The AFF should be quite interesting.
drool.gif

Polaris also makes a 0W50 or 10W50 oil that they spec in some of the ATVs. Could this be the thinker stuff and not the 0W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back