Polaris ATV and Utility Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remmious....i cant wait to see your voa/uoa results either!Also be curious to see a voa on some of the stuff that uses the older style bottle. I havent seen any seal issues using syn atf. From what i've seen it definalty holds up better than the polaris hub fluid (doesnt come out as oxidized/discolored) Perhaps polaris uses some sort of seal sweller or such in the hub fluid..??? I'm not sure. But from my experience syn. atf seems to work much better...ive seen no neg. side effects. Also note that the Hilliard assembly is in the front gearbox on the new machines..i have also uses syn atf in these applications instead of hubfluid as well...and so far nothing but good results.

Can't wait to see the OUA & VOA...
drool.gif

Gee, maybe we can shed a little light on what goes on within these abused engines...!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Gee, maybe we can start recognizing defficiencies and what these machines are starving for...
stirthepot.gif

Gee, maybe we can "hopefully" get a PowerSports Forum going.
banana.gif

Samples were picked up yesterday so I should see the reports today.
banana.gif

Hopefully the wear particles come back ok. I've always been suspicious of the engine (I think it's the engine) ticks. This should shed some light on it.

USED OIL REPORT

IRON 11
CHROMIUM 1
ALUMINUM 11
COPPER 62
LEAD 2
TIN 4
NICKEL 0
SILVER 0
ANTIMONY 2
TITANIUM 0
SILICON 7
SODIUM 4
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 1
MAGNESIUM 159
CALCIUM 1957
BARIUM 8
MOLYBDENUM 59
PHOSPHORUS 1016
ZINC 1071

VISCOSITY
SUS 100 - 233
CST 40 - 46
FUEL N/A
ANTIFREEZE 0
WATER 0
SOOT 0
OXIDATION 0
SULFATE 0

NEW OIL REPORT

IRON 1
CHROMIUM 0
ALUMINUM 2
COPPER 2
LEAD 0
TIN 5
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
ANTIMONY 5
TITANIUM 0
SILICON 3
SODIUM 3
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 0
MAGNESIUM 17
CALCIUM 2380
BARIUM 0
MOLYBDENUM 79
PHOSPHORUS 1056
ZINC 1239

VISCOSITY
SUS 100 - 514
CST 40 - 100
FUEL N/A
ANTIFREEZE 0
WATER 0
SOOT 0
OXIDATION 0
SULFATE 0

The oil was in the same container pictured in the first post. It was not the 'older' style label/jug.

Used oil was in service for: 22hrs, 120 miles, and 5 months.

Here is what the lab had to say "Your oil looks pretty good. A little aluminum and copper is common so we would not consider this a problem. The analysis you mentioned would be fun to compare to this report."

I'm no expert at this but the biggest thing I see is that the viscosity dropped by 50% or better. I wish I could have gotten a TBN test and fuels. I do have to say it had a fuel smell to it.

Any thoughts from you experts?

Dang, that voa is not even close to the one i posted. I wonder why such a difference
crazy.gif
Did blackstone boo-boo
confused.gif

What is the total miles/hours on your machine? Which Model? I dont think your uoa looks to bad!
grin.gif

Wow thanks!

The UOA doesn't looks so bad in wear metals. Copper may be break-in??

Can you please explain the viscosity values? Am I not holding my head right? Thanks.

The machine is a Sportsman 500EFI I bought in Dec 06. It has 50.1hrs on it now and 303 miles. I do a lot of short trips and cold starts so the viscosity was most likely from fuel dilution. The viscosities are reported with 2 different units, 100cSt @ 40°C or 514 SUS @ 100°C. That's just how they do their reports for us. I think that is what you were asking for, right Pablo? This oil has only been changed once so I'm sure there was a lot of break-in wear left behind. I know, shame on me for putting off the first change! I won't do it again.

So 100 cSt @ 40°C is more in the middle of a SAE 30, so that is lower than the one from Blackstone, they were in the 40 range.

Used oil is around a low SAE 20 so it was diluted a lot.

Quote:

So 100 cSt @ 40°C is more in the middle of a SAE 30, so that is lower than the one from Blackstone, they were in the 40 range.

Used oil is around a low SAE 20 so it was diluted a lot.

I'm not sure how you can tell that. We need a 100°C (212°F) viscosity.

Side note: I wonder how "off" the Blackstone VOA is?????

Because we do a lot of lubes for gear boxes and hydraulic units we use the 40°C so it reflects the ISO VG rating. People here would be confused otherwise.

100cSt @ 40 ~ 11cSt @ 100°C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back