Polaris ATV and Utility Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone VOA. This is the newestest version (newerbottle). Same Polaris part number (2871281) but i noticed it no longer list the viscosity on the container like it did previously. I had assumed it was the same 0/40 that they have always recomended but...this sais different. Rather dissapointing IMO, especially at 7.69 /qt!
DSCF0012.jpg

untitled.jpg

PS. Been visiting here for almost 4 years now, but never posted lol
smile.gif

Unless there is something organic in here that the standard OA wouldn't pick up, I have to say that this definitely is not an oil to write home about...

Krel,

Thank you so much for doing anf posting this !!!!!!!

thumbsup.gif
bowdown2.gif
smile.gif

I just bought a new Polaris 700 Twin EFI ATV. I have 3 hours on it, they want me to change it at 20 hours (NOT), put in Polaris oil for another round of up to 100 hours (NOT) and thennnnn, change to Amsoil 0w-40 if I want..........

I'm taking it out at 8-10 hours, and will call Polaris to see if I can put in Amsoil AFF right away.

This oil looks like
puke.gif

Thank you so much for doing this...

Hey, no prob tpitcher! Glad it was a help! I changed the oil in my 800 @ 10 hours and will do it again at 50. I have used this oil for a long time in customers machines... and i did in the first change on mine, as i already had it on hand...Definatly wont be using it anymore though! I'll probably use aff as well....or try mobil1. Also, dont forget to change your front drive oil...i believe polaris recomends once a year or 100 hours but from what i've seen, i would strongly advise changing it closer to 50 hours! They recomend their own hub fluid, i've had excellent luck with amsoil's universal atf. Enjoy the new machine!

Thanks!

Pablo, what say you on this oil vs. Amsoil...??
confused.gif

Also, do you think I can go rightsto Amsoil or 1 more Polaris run?
dunno.gif

I just e-mailed Polaris if I can go right to Amsoil without voiding the warranty - we'll see what they say.

Pablo, comments??

Polaris cant void your warrantee for using other branded fluids as long as they meet the recomended specs, which aff does. Your owners manual list the recomended engine oil specs if you use other than polaris. (Dont have mine in front of me right now so i can't point you to the page)

Sorry - gee how did I miss thread? Sorry
cool.gif
The "Hey Pablo" caught my attention!
laugh.gif

OK here's my take: I would use AFF 0W-40, or MCF 10W-40. These will not void your warranty. If you do dead of winter cold riding, obviously the AFF would be a better choice.

What's crazy wrong is what Blackstone says. I wish they would straighten up their act. They report the viscosity as 82.7, which is 16.2 cSt. This is NOT SAE 50. It's a SAE 40, a heavy 40, but a 40 none the less. And their ranges are wrong.

So I would switch over to the Amsoil now, but just don't go really long the first few OCI's.

Pablo,

Polaris wants 0w-40 in it for sure. The place where I bought it said only Polaris oil or Amsoil Power Sports oil.

They said to run the original 20 hours, then 100 hours after that (yea, right...).

My Plan: Run the original 10-12 hours, go right to Amsoil.

Can you believe how this oil tested out...????
confused.gif
frown.gif

I will run it "a lot" in the dead of Winter, maybe as low as -20 to -30 Degrees !!!
whistle.gif
grin.gif
Sooo, why on earth would I run a 20-40 or 50 in it...!?!?

crazy.gif

Yea, thought that would catch your eye......
laugh.gif

These ATV's run at 4500 - 5500 RPM's. I think the engine will need a bit more protection, eh??

Also, Good Golly, where's the Moly...?
frown.gif

Kinda low, ya think...?
crazy.gif

The low moly is no big deal, but the low zinc and low phosphorous are - maybe the oil has some great organic additives. I'd love to see a UOA after 10, 20, 30, etc hours!

Pablo...apreciate your input as well. I didnt realize about the viscosity mixup! I'd also be curious about other adds that may not show up...doesnt seem like those ones alone would be sufficient...exspecially in the extreme use these machines get!

Polaris hasn't gotten back to me yet and I'm not going to leave that
crazy.gif
stuff in there much longer.

I'm at 3.6 hours (1.5 at the ATV Safety Course yesterday which I HIGHLT RECOMMEND...)

The heck if I'm gonna be out on Lake of the Woods with a slow cranking 20w-40 in my baby.....
nono.gif

Thanks again, Pablo !!
bowdown2.gif

pat2.gif

----! I have 49.8hrs and 303 miles on my machine. I did the prescribed 20 hr change out and then they say OCI are either 100hrs, 6 months, or 1000 miles. I won't wait for that after seeing that VOA! If I did tpitcher will be towing me off LOTW this winter! That seems like a pretty 'weak' oil for the environment and abuse we put these things through.

Thanks for the eye opening info!
patriot.gif

I'll check with our lab we use for work tomorrow and see if I can't get a few samples in from my ATV. I'll get another VOA done and pull a sample for a UOA. I will keep you updated if I can get this done.

Oh, man, would that be great. This is truly a big deal!

Even though we may be good on them, they still take a major beating - ...and I ain't using it much longer.

Thanks for getting in another VOA & can't wait to see how your UOA comes out.....

Well the lab said they would love to do some OA on my samples (tired of gearboxes and diesels!), so I will pull samples tonight and send them in tomorrow. I usually get the reports back same day or next morning at the latest. Can't wait to see what it comes back as! Wonder what the wear is like in that vibrating, ticking, beast!

Krel, I seen this on another site. Wonder what your experience is.

"Our local mechanic says that synthectic ATF (Such as Mobil 1) is as good or better for lubricating the innards of the hub as anything, but has found that the true hub oil is supposed to have (according to Polaris) a better tolerance to water, and seems to keep the seals pliable better than ATF."

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back