poking holes in filter, during oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the shop I work at someone got into the habit of popping small holes in some filters( think Toyota 2.2 and Subaru fa/fb) so that don't make a mess.

Anyone else do it? My thought was it may shard into the oil sys, but he has never had an issue

I wonder if a spring loaded center punch would do it. The cheap steel in filter cans isn't brittle enough to make shards.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I wonder if a spring loaded center punch would do it. The cheap steel in filter cans isn't brittle enough to make shards.

Agreed. Using a punch or even a stubby screw driver with hammer won't cause any significant particulates to matter. Even if it did, it would be drained immediately through the newly created hole.

I like the idea of this but I've gotten good at predicting where the oil will drain once the filter is removed.

It's a good idea. In my case with the Honda I really like the feel of warm oil running down my arm into my armpit while I'm reaching up behind the engine as I lay on my back at an angle where I can't see the filter and can just get my hand around it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's a good idea. In my case with the Honda I really like the feel of warm oil running down my arm into my armpit while I'm reaching up behind the engine as I lay on my back at an angle where I can't see the filter and can just get my hand around it.
I had hot oil running down my arm changing oil on Hondas for twenty years. As Sheriff Bart says in Blazing Saddles, "I hate it."

I always drain the one on my truck by poking a hole in the bottom before i remove it.way too awkward to try to weasel a 5inch x 12inch filter full of oil.there's no way this could allow anything to get into the passages.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
no. I must hammer mine pretty hard with a hammer and screwdriver.

When I used to work in lube shop the older Mazda RX-7 had a filter on the top of the engine. After loosening the filter we would poke a small hole and this would allow the filter to drain. It worked very well. We would use a small nail and hammer ONLY after the filter was loosened.

I do this. I don't cut open my old filters for viewing, but the holes do help drain oil before the filter goes in the trash.

Yes, old hot oil in the armpit is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back