Please suggest oil/filter for a 2001 Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good 5w-20 or 5w-30 with a MC filter is what I would recommend. Our 2001 Taurus with the Vulcan motor was happy with QSGB and a MC filter right up to 180,000 miles when the TC went out. If you prefer synthetic blend QS Defy would be a solid choice.

The 3.0 Vulcan in my 2007 Taurus seems happy with Smitty's Super S (either 5w-20 or 5w-30) and a MC filter every 5,000 miles.
I get the Smitty's at Menards on sale for $8 per 5 qt jug. I get MC filters from AAP using an online discount code. Makes for an inexpensive oil change.

Originally Posted By: AntDeek
I understand that there was never a flat tappet cam in a vulcan. My manual states 5w30, so thats what I run.

In this case, you understand wrong.
The earlier engines had flat tappets. I believe the change was for the 1992 MY although I may be wrong on that. You could try Wiki.
This engine existed at Ford UK long before the Aerostar or the Taurus were designed, although it powered the majority of each of these models when made in Lima, OH.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: AntDeek
I understand that there was never a flat tappet cam in a vulcan. My manual states 5w30, so thats what I run.

In this case, you understand wrong.
The earlier engines had flat tappets. I believe the change was for the 1992 MY although I may be wrong on that. You could try Wiki.
This engine existed at Ford UK long before the Aerostar or the Taurus were designed, although it powered the majority of each of these models when made in Lima, OH.

No my friend, the Vulcan was never at ford UK. It's first year was in the 1988 Aerostar.

Last edited:
Turns out you're right.
While they may share the same nominal displacement as well as the same included angle and block and head material, the Essex and Vulcan V-6s are not related, although I had thought that they were.
The Essex is a more oversquare engine than is the Vulcan with a different bore spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back