Please help me understand the difference between M1 EP and AFE....

Did he first ask what oil you were using, or was this just some random comment? You could come here for those...

Anyway, the AFE M1 has more moly and boron then the EP, which I would think would be reversed, I would think that "Extra" would mean "More", of at least some ingredients measurable and comparable across brews.

What kind of moly?

I don’t think anyone really knows, which is why this time I just went with the AFE for my 10,000 OCI. Until some can explain to me what the difference actually is? I’m not sure I’ll be buying the EP anymore (After they reduced the PAO).

I might be stepping it up next time to a boutique, because at least they tell me why they’re better. And I believe them🤣🤣🤣 It’s all in what you chose to believe, and how it makes you feel. Good oil makes me feel good.
Mazda recs 7500 OCI's, so you might want to keep that in mind.

We have 2 Mazda's with the 2.5 SkyActive engine in the (extended) family. My daughters 2021 CX-30 has seen PP, QSUD, Idemitsu and Mobil1 AFE and it once got Citgo syn. at the Midas shop when she was 'travel nursing' in North Carolina.
The longest OCI was on PP due to distance from me (7700 miles IIRC which is why I told her to get an oil change which led her to Midas). The other OCIs have been anywhere from 5K to 7K. The oil doesn't get as dark as the GDI engine in my Focus and neither the Ford or the Mazda burn any oil.
I have also used 5w20 full synthetic a couple of times in warmer months (QSUD and PP) without issues.

The other SkyActive 2.5 is my sister-in-laws 2015 CX-5 which now has over 210K and has probably never seen an OCI of less than 7K. I started doing it's oil changes at approx. 150K and it runs great and uses maybe 1/2 quart between changes. This vehicle feels like it could go another 150K easily but who knows.
I think these Mazda 2.5's are excellent engines and you aren't hurting them at all by doing 7.5K OCI's on syn. as long as it's changed at least twice a year.

To the OP: AFE is more than fine for the OCI you speak of....

Last edited:
Back