Please help me understand the difference between M1 EP and AFE....

New '23 Mazda 3, 2.5 non turbo, 0w-20, OCI in the 5k-6k range, southern New England, short trips, parked outside. Can someone just tell me EP or AFE and why? Thanks!

AFE - Advanced Fuel Economy; regular intervals and maximizes fuel savings.
EP - Extended Protection for oil drain intervals up to 15k(?) miles or one year.

EP costs more and has more fairy magic.

Any 0w-20 changed with filter every 7,500 and dont sw

I would think the EP has a better base oil compared to AFE, for the small price difference I would use the EP.
Thanks for the replies. When I look at the VOA's, the AFE actually looks better, how is this possible?

Mg, 693 v. 555
P, 728 v. 449
Z, 758 v. 519
Moly, 83 v. 59

TBN, 7 v. 9.12

(No, these values are not reversed, left is AFE v. EP)

Thanks for the replies. When I look at the VOA's, the AFE actually looks better, how is this possible?

Mg, 693 v. 555
P, 728 v. 449
Z, 758 v. 519
Moly, 83 v. 59

TBN, 7 v. 9.12

(No, these values are not reversed, left is AFE v. EP)
For one thing, a $30 spectrographic analysis or typical values from a PDS aren't a sufficient metric to predict the future performance of a formulated motor oil.

For one thing, a $30 spectrographic analysis or typical values from a PDS aren't a sufficient metric to predict the future performance of a formulated motor oil.
OK, but if we cannot judge a brew by its ingredients, what's the best measure to make these decisions?

Ok, so for all these brews that have the same approvals and licenses, how does one go about making a choice? Maybe I'm missing something here.
If you're maintaining the car to factory specs and both oils have all the correct specs - It doesn't matter which one you pick. Both are going to do well. For what it is worth I have a 2018 Mazda 6 with the same engine you've got in your 3. I haven't noticed any difference in engine feel or noise with any 0W-20 Synthetic I've put in it. I've use AFE and EP, plus a couple OCIs with SuperTech. The engine really doesn't care whats in the crankcase as long as something is in it LOL.

I would like to butt in here. I was just at a dealer for tire rotation and to buy an oil filter. Service writer asked what oil I was using and suggested I use oil with more Moly, like it makes a difference. I was buying Zepro until it was no longer available. I would consider Mazda oil if I could get a discount. I no longer get a discount on filters per the owner. What has more Moly?

And not once did you question why.
Ask Castrol instead Titanium is the new sh*t.

Also boron has similar properties to molybdenum.
Moly is just one additive in antiwear-packs and comes in different structures/version/forms .

Last edited:
I would like to butt in here. I was just at a dealer for tire rotation and to buy an oil filter. Service writer asked what oil I was using and suggested I use oil with more Moly, like it makes a difference. I was buying Zepro until it was no longer available. I would consider Mazda oil if I could get a discount. I no longer get a discount on filters per the owner. What has more Moly?
Did he first ask what oil you were using, or was this just some random comment? You could come here for those...

Anyway, the AFE M1 has more moly and boron then the EP, which I would think would be reversed, I would think that "Extra" would mean "More", of at least some ingredients measurable and comparable across brews.

I don’t think anyone really knows, which is why this time I just went with the AFE for my 10,000 OCI. Until some can explain to me what the difference actually is? I’m not sure I’ll be buying the EP anymore (After they reduced the PAO).

I might be stepping it up next time to a boutique, because at least they tell me why they’re better. And I believe them🤣🤣🤣 It’s all in what you chose to believe, and how it makes you feel. Good oil makes me feel good.

Back