Planting Trees in Fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the North Dallas area.

I've been growing trees in 15 gallon plastic containers.
Specifically Red Oaks.
My parents have a huge one in their back yard, and it is very easy to transplant the sprouts into a larger container.

Right now I have 2 of them that are about 4 years old and 5' tall growing in my backyard that I want to plant.

However, when should I do this?
I know to dig a hole that is about 2x the diameter of the container, and to keep the ground moist for the next month, gradually tapering it off.

But is Sept or Oct better for planting trees?

It's hot, and the only shade I'm going to get is if I grow it myself.

Any help would be outstanding.

Thanks!

Fall planting of trees is great. Oct is much better than September. It allows for the root system to get somewhat established before the brutal summer to come next year. Fall plant, keep watered, and you will have healthy growing trees next year.

I was always told that Fall planting allows the root system to become well established prior to the burst of growth in the Spring.

Fall and early winter is the best time. Be sure to add vitamin B1 that comes in a liquid (Home Depot). It will reduce root shock and help stimulate root growth for the plant to get established by spring.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Fall planting of trees is great. Oct is much better than September. It allows for the root system to get somewhat established before the brutal summer to come next year. Fall plant, keep watered, and you will have healthy growing trees next year.

Exactly what I was going to say. Go for it.

Also consider whether they might be susceptible to sunscald, which can be worse if the trees were moved from partial shade to full sun when transplanted. Another sunscald article.

Be sure to loosen the tree roots if they are wraped around the root ball. I sometimes take a sharp knife and score/cut the root ball in 3-4 places if the roots are encircling. Very important.

I've always heard that too. But. I use to deliver trees to landscapers. They didn't take the summer off and trees did fine.

Fall is actually better than spring for reasons mentioned above.

I too splay out the roots in the hole. I've seen too many older trees with girdled roots. This is from people just plopping the rootball into the hole when planting.

Better to plant it a couple inches above grade than to get it too low. Too low and can stunt the growth for the life of the tree. When I worked for a city forestry department we always planted them with the top of the ball 2 inches above grade.

Also we tried to avoid watering and packing the soil around the ball too much as you can form a sort of cement wall that way which would hinder root growth--this more with clayey soils. But you do want to get the fill in there and no air pockets. Keep grass and other debris out that can rot and cause heat which could kill off some of the roots.

Keep well watered and cover with wood chips to keep it from drying out too easily.

My Dad was a citrus grower by trade. During his lifetime, (he is 94 now), he has probably planted over 100,000 orange trees. While he always said anytime is a good time to plant a tree, fall was his favorite time to plant for all the reasons mentioned, plus it's easier on the person planting. The weather is cooler and the trees need less water.

Don't be surprised if for the first year your newly planted tree just "hangs on." The rule of thumb is: "For the first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, the third year it leaps."

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Be sure to loosen the tree roots if they are wraped around the root ball. I sometimes take a sharp knife and score/cut the root ball in 3-4 places if the roots are encircling. Very important.

Very important indeed. If the roots are not scored, they will continue to grow in a circle, especially if your ground has a lot of clay.

If you do have clay soil, it's also a good idea when you dig your hole to "chop" the sides of the hole with your shovel, (after your hole is dug, simply take your shovel and strike the sides of the hole to rough it up a bit). This causes the roots to "grab" as they grow and they will grow out rather than around.

My mother, raised in an agrarian society, once mentioned to me it is ideal to dig the hole for planting months in advance of the planting. It allows microbes to get established in the hole, which is beneficial to the plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back