Places in the world with wild temperature swings

Status
Not open for further replies.
This unending winter has got me thinking of just how much the weather varies throughout the year (or week
smile.gif
) where I live in SE Michigan. Our summers routinely see high temps of near or over 100, and our winters can see temps of -15 to -20. Of course, some seasons don't quite see temps this extreme, but we usually come close. In other words, throughout the course of the year, the temperature varies a whopping ~120 degrees F! That's insane. Makes you appreciate how well engineered certain components are in order to work in that range of temps, including our bodies.

Tell us about your climate!

Biggest is probably central ill. Most I've ever seen is Evansville Indiana and Owensboro Kentucky. One Labor Day weekend it went from a hundred and forty five heat index Two 55 degrees on Monday

Last edited:
Yesterday morning it was -20°F at my house. This morning it was +30°F, for a swing of 50° in just 24 hours.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Makes you appreciate how well engineered certain components are in order to work in that range of temps, including our bodies.

Speak for yourself.
smile.gif
My body doesn't function well at 100F nor at -20F. Thank god for A/C and heating.
smile.gif

I might have some bias, but IL can see some extreme temperature swings day to day. I went to school at SIU in Carbondale and we'd routinely have a 30* day followed by a 70* day day during the Winter to Spring transition.

No extreme temperatures here, but we sometimes get 50 °F differences in one day like other posters have reported above. When it happens, typically 34 °F low; 84 °F high.

Annual low usually 34 °F, lowest I've seen about 27 °F.

Annual high usually 96 °F, highest I've seen around 102 °F.

5,600' elevation [home]; 5,100' [work]

We have similar weather here and temperatures vary by about the same over the course of the year.
We had -20F this morning on my thermometer.
We'll see 100F at least once this summer in July.
If we saw -20F this morning, we also saw 30F this afternoon, which seems like a pretty big difference over the course of ten hours or so.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I might have some bias, but IL can see some extreme temperature swings day to day. I went to school at SIU in Carbondale and we'd routinely have a 30* day followed by a 70* day day during the Winter to Spring transition.

Not to mention that right before this current cold stretch we hit 58* and two days later it was 0* with negative wind chills.

When we first moved back to Texas, I would often hear the expression, "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes."

Then I heard it in Chicago.

Then I heard it in Nebraska.

And in Windsor, ON

Turns out it originated with Mark Twain about New England:
"If you don't like the weather in New England now, just wait a few minutes."

So it seems that the answer to the question is anywhere in North America.

I have a feeling you're exaggerating those Michigan temperatures...

Minnesota is usually in the mid 90s for a week or two each summer, and lately, every winter, has gotten to -30 for at least a few days, and stayed below 0 for weeks sometimes.

The world's coldest capital is Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, where in winter night after night the low is about -12F and the daytime high might be 15F. That goes on for months.

Nothing beats Montreal.

I am looking at taking a vacation in Siberia if this keeps up.

We just get a miserable mix of the most annoying and nasty weather. And it lasts 5 months of the year.

And swimming beach weather here is very short too. You can probably leave the tags on your bathing suit when you buy them and they will still be intact when Fall arrives.

Gaaaaaah.

Last edited:
What gets me is when it's -15'F out and 70 in, one pane of glass is holding back an 85 degree spread.

If my pipes froze, it could warm up 45 degrees and they'd still be frozen.

Down to -37C (-35F) last winter, and 40C (105F) last summer in northeastern MT. Mild winter this year so far, hasn't been less than -28C (-20F).

Montana is the only state I've lived in that you could get a sunburn and also have to wear a heavy jacket on the same day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back