Picked up a case of TGMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called around to several dealer asking for a case price. two were at $86.40
shocked2.gif

One had a 20% off coupon so it seemed a better deal.
THEN I called a third dealer a bit further away and got a case for $64.80!! Thats $5.40 a quart!
banana2.gif

So I ran out there to get it and picked up 2 Toyota cartridge oil filters for $4.06 a piece plus a couple of crush washers for .98 a piece.

Name of dealer is Olathe Toyota.

Ebay has a few cases listed for $65 but the shipping is like $20-30.

I'd love to try this oil if I could score some for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Could have just went to Wal-Mart and got some M1 without all the hassle and be just as well off. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I've done UOAs with M1-AFE and TGMO on the same truck. There wasn't any difference between the two in terms of wear numbers, when compared side-by-side.

I wouldn't go to great effort or expense to obtain TGMO.

Quote=dlundblad]If I owned a Toyota, I'd pay a tad extra to try TGMO too. At least once anyways. [/quote]

TGMO seems to work very well in Toyota's but I'm not sure it's optimal for all cars that spec 20 weight.

All of my vehicles get a custom blend of synthetic oil from Mobil of 0W-20 and 0W-40.

Example: In the winter, the thinner TGMO is mixed with Mobil 1 0W-40 and in the summer months, its Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 and 0W-40. A viscosity calculator is used to get the preferred HTHS as recommended by the manufacturer. Cost of TGMO purchased last year was the same as Mobil EP is now at Walmart ($26.68 per 5-quart jug).

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
All of my vehicles get a custom blend of synthetic oil from Mobil of 0W-20 and 0W-40.

Example: In the winter, the thinner TGMO is mixed with Mobil 1 0W-40 and in the summer months, its Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 and 0W-40. A viscosity calculator is used to get the preferred HTHS as recommended by the manufacturer. Cost of TGMO purchased last year was the same as Mobil EP is now at Walmart ($26.68 per 5-quart jug).

Why are you using TGMO over the EP in the winter? EP has better cold temp performance and far better base stocks
crazy2.gif

two dealers near to me both had it at 5.34/qt, and filters around $4/each also. one wanted to give me crush washers for free! hard to argue, and shorter lines compared to walmart.

Good score.

TGMO is great oil.

My Camry seems to appreciate it when I use it.

Toyota dealers rely on it for 10,000 mile OCI's every day.

TGMO is made by Mobil to my understanding, though I'm sure it is to their (Toyota's) specifications. But I don't know if that means there is much of a difference in protection and performance.

But if the OP prefers TGMO because they believe it is the best for their vehicle then you can't put a $$ value on that.

Plus Walmart sucks
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
TGMO is made by Mobil to my understanding, though I'm sure it is to their (Toyota's) specifications. But I don't know if that means there is much of a difference in protection and performance.

But if the OP prefers TGMO because they believe it is the best for their vehicle then you can't put a $$ value on that.

Plus Walmart sucks
wink.gif

The primary difference is that TGMO is Group III based, whilst the two Mobil 0w-20 siblings, the AFE and EP products, are 30% and 60% PAO based respectively.

This is why their cold temp performance is better. But the big thing is that PPD's performance may reduce significantly as an oil ages (what is used in a Group III base oil to improve cold temperature performance) whilst this is not the case for PAO.

I like to keep cars OEM. TGMO is made my XOM to Toyotas spec. I drive a Camry....
The Sable in my signature has only seen Motorcraft oil and filters.
Now I DID look at Mobil 1 0w20 EP for the Camry, VERY tempting.
The car does make VERY short trips, 2.2 miles to the bus stop. The car never gets fully warmed up. On weekends it gets ran pretty good.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
I like to keep cars OEM. TGMO is made my XOM to Toyotas spec.

I find that statement a little interesting given that there's been multiple versions of TGMO, and they were all quite different...

Mobil 1 EP or TGMO 0W-20 are made for your short 2.2 mile trips, with TGMO having an advantage down to a little below zero, after that EP excels. Suggest you buy whatever oil is easiest to obtain, as your engine won't know the difference in the grand scheme of things.

I use leftover TGMO in the winter because it doesn't get below zero in my area. Once it's used up, Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 with a mix of Mobil 1 0W-40 will be used year around.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
I like to keep cars OEM. TGMO is made my XOM to Toyotas spec.

I find that statement a little interesting given that there's been multiple versions of TGMO, and they were all quite different...

changing specs? I just bought the correct 0w20 for the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Mobil 1 EP or TGMO 0W-20 are made for your short 2.2 mile trips, with TGMO having an advantage down to a little below zero, after that EP excels. Suggest you buy whatever oil is easiest to obtain, as your engine won't know the difference in the grand scheme of things.

0C (32F) or 0F? Because if the latter, you are mistaken. Extrapolating MRV backwards, the AFE and EP twins hold a viscosity advantage up to at least -15C (5F) and perhaps higher. -15C is just the highest we've seen MRV tested to in a PDS.

Above 0C, TGMO is a bit thinner. Though nowhere near as dramatic as the viscosity differences encountered much below 0C or between various grades.

The cold temp stuff shouldn't be surprising though as PAO is massively better in this department than Group III, which requires PPD's in order to behave itself at very cold temperatures. PAO is unfortunately expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back