Pick Mattock/Pick Axe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know a vendor that has Made in USA pick mattocks or pick axes? It will initially be used for busting up a couple large rocks.
Easy Digging says to use a pick axe. Any recommendations on the proper tool or does the chart seem right? They have one that has a USA made handle with a Brazilian made head. A 3# head seems a little light. I was expecting more along the lines of a 5# head.
21.gif
45" long handles sounds pretty good though.

Pick axes are good for digging rocks out of the ground, I don't think they are made for busting large rocks. If I have to break a rock by hand I will use a heavy sledge hammer - eight pounds or larger depending on the size of the rock.

If you are going to be busting up rocks, get a sledge hammer. I have an old 20lb sledge that has been indispensable on several occasions. Mattocks and pick axes have their place, but turning large rocks into little rocks is not it.

True enough re usage. My initial thought was to bust up the rocks but I had really decided to just dig & move. However, my brain just wasn't transferring to my hand for typing. Large is relative. I don't know the exact size.

Anyway, any recommendations on pick axes/pick mattocks?

if you are digging and moving maybe hiring a mini excavator would be worthwhile. maybe combine other earthmoving tasks you need to do to minimise the charge for it.

sorry no recommendations on pick axes, other than make sure its sturdy with a long handle for good leverage.

I have a Craftsman mattock - good product, lifetime replacement warranty. First one lasted 10 years, second one still working great.

Looking back over my post last night, I really mucked it up.
So, no one believes their chart that a pick axe can be used for busting a couple rocks? Didn't really think so either. I'm still going to get one as they are useful.

Off to look at sledgehammers. Corona Clipper doesn't have one that is USA made.

I think you could bust rocks with a heavy pick but how much time do you want to spend doing it? I've learned that on some projects the equity of my sweat isn't worth as much as renting powered equipment. Everyone should own a sledge anyway, I'd certainly give it a try.

I think I have one - non sparking alloy type. $10 plus you pay the shipping... these sell for $80-100 new, and are new - I just got a super deal on ebay - somebody must have stolen them from a coal mine or something.

Non-sparking are too soft to use for heavy work, they are more for things like slugging wrenches in the oil field or mines than day to day work as they won't hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back