People rushing toward mother bear and cubs in video

The park ranger at the end with the pickup should have just let nature go about it's course. I mean, everyone there is there to see nature....

But realistically if that was me, I'd have some very not friendly words over that intercom.

American black bear. It won't do anything. I've come across a black bear with cubs (check my avatar photo) and either mama bear didn't care or just took off when confronted.

The odds of attacks by black bears are very low. Ely researchers have never been attacked despite catching many screaming cubs by hand in front of mothers.​

Now a female grizzly bear with cubs is not to be messed with.

The park ranger at the end with the pickup should have just let nature go about it's course. I mean, everyone there is there to see nature....

But realistically if that was me, I'd have some very not friendly words over that intercom.

I don't believe that's a park ranger although it might be the NPS logo on the side. Maybe a maintenance vehicle, which are usually all white other than the arrowhead logo on the door. Park ranger patrol vehicles have a green stripe going almost the entire length. Non law-enforcement (aka "interpretive") rangers often drive in unmarked vehicles, although I've seen the NPS arrowhead on the side.

48015905218_8f78a445e7_c.jpg

I've been there and seen that with an American black bear in Yellowstone and a "bear jam". We opened the window and asked the ranger what was going on, and he matter of factly said "black bear", so obviously being there wasn't a problem. We found a paved, designated parking space (maybe 200 feet away) and walked back in to look with binoculars and took telephoto pictures. But while we were there (about 250 feet away from the bear) the ranger said we were fine. We certainly didn't crowd the bear or approach it closely. But the big thing he was doing was yelling out that anyone parking and leaving a car on the side of the road had to have all four wheels off the pavement, or he would be writing up parking tickets.

Reactions: Pew
I don't believe that's a park ranger although it might be the NPS logo on the side. Maybe a maintenance vehicle, which are usually all white other than the arrowhead logo on the door. Park ranger patrol vehicles have a green stripe going almost the entire length. Non law-enforcement (aka "interpretive") rangers often drive in unmarked vehicles, although I've seen the NPS arrowhead on the side.

View attachment 176862

I've been there and seen that with an American black bear in Yellowstone and a "bear jam". We opened the window and asked the ranger what was going on, and he matter of factly said "black bear", so obviously being there wasn't a problem. We found a paved, designated parking space (maybe 200 feet away) and walked back in to look with binoculars and took telephoto pictures. But while we were there (about 250 feet away from the bear) the ranger said we were fine. We certainly didn't crowd the bear or approach it closely. But the big thing he was doing was yelling out that anyone parking and leaving a car on the side of the road had to have all four wheels off the pavement, or he would be writing up parking tickets.

True, I forgot they had those green stripes along the side usually. I've been through a bison jam in Yellowstone. It was crazy, they walked right between cars like nobody's business.

True, I forgot they had those green stripes along the side usually. I've been through a bison jam in Yellowstone. It was crazy, they walked right between cars like nobody's business.

We spent over a week in Grand Teton and Yellowstone more than 15 years ago. Only saw that one bear, but bison were everywhere. Went to a campfire program at an amphitheater and a coyote (really scrawny though) walked right in past all of us, but never really approached anyone nor showed any aggression. I did this long-ish (maybe 12 miles) day hike where I saw the biggest turd I've ever seen, which was obviously left behind by a bison. I'd been on paved walkways where there were bison lounging a few hundred feet away. Had to wait for bison to cross the road a few times, and for the most part they leave people and vehicles along as long as they're not startled. The one that seemed risky was just leaving the Old Faithful area parking lot, when a bison and a bison calf just started galloping alongside our car. The calf was less than 3 feet away but it was just moving with traffic.

That trip was interesting too where it was a long trip that included most of the parks in Utah, Grand Canyon, and even Death Valley (where it was over 120ºF). Saw a cattle drive too, and the cowgirl (I kid you not) told us to just drive right through slowly and the cattle would just move aside.

There was a time when you'd see lots black bear along the Rogue River (Hwy 62) in Oregon. Those cubs are super cute!

When I was living in Montana, there was always a story on the evening news about tourists from CA getting mauled by a Grizzly.

I don't cross paths with any kind of bear, even when armed with a .375 H&H.

Bears are very common here, a couple walked across the fairway when I was golfing a couple weeks ago. Also last week golfing again I heard a noise in the bushes, I started making noise like whistling and what not, then a deer popped out. Pretty common. But yeah I would never purposefully antagonize them or otherwise bother them.

There was a time when you'd see lots black bear along the Rogue River (Hwy 62) in Oregon. Those cubs are super cute!

When I was living in Montana, there was always a story on the evening news about tourists from CA getting mauled by a Grizzly.

I don't cross paths with any kind of bear, even when armed with a .375 H&H.

It really depends on the situation. Black bears are generally pretty timid, although when they do attack it's nearly always predatory, with very rare cases of defensive attacks, typically when they're cornered with no means of escape.

And location is very important. When it's in a campground, the typical recommendation is to confront the bear, even if it's a female grizzly with cubs. Most bears that are just looking for easy food can be confronted and will take off. Yellowstone might be a little bit different in their recommendations to retreat in that case along with hiding/carrying food to prevent a bear from obtaining it. I know in Yosemite the typical recommendation (for black bears) is to confront a bear and yell at it as well as throw things at it.

And at least in places like Yellowstone, Grand Teton, or Glacier NP, it's legal to carry bear spray. They hate that stuff in their eyes.

Nothing on that page recommends moving toward the bear, ever. In all cases except when a bear is very close and / or charging toward you, the recommendation is to move away. If you are being charged, "stand your ground" because they enjoy a chase and you're not going to outrun it.

With black bear that won't go away, I've always heard to just throw stuff at them. I remember seeing this documentary that showed garbage company employees just going crazy when black bears started coming at garbage put out on the street for collection. But I remember talking to a ranger at Grand Teton about the difference between Sierra and Rockies bears, and he said when he was on vacation in Yosemite he saw a juvenile black bear sneak up on his bear box but it just took off when he yelled at it and acted as if he was going to go at the bear.

Still - I've heard from some that it's best not to let any bear get food and to let it know it's not supposed to be in a campground or a parking lot. Even a grizzly bear.

But in any case, black bears are rarely aggressive. And it's important to prevent any bear from obtaining food in a campground. They'll come back if they score food. It's a little bit different though in some areas since they allow bear spray. That's an easy call if any bear enters a campground. Just spray it and it's almost guaranteed to leave from that pain.

I'm more used to Sierra bears where there's a distinct difference in recommendations for what to depending on whether or not they're in a developed area like a campground.

Bear Encounters​

If you see a bear outside of developed areas, keep your distance: Remain at least 50 yards (four shuttle bus lengths).​
If you see a bear in a developed area or if a bear approaches you, scare it away by yelling very loudly and aggressively.​
Find out more about what to do if you see a bear.​

This is idiocracy tier stupidity. The speed at which they were running, with a child on their shoulder is insane. Probably for a TikTok or selfie.

Back