Penz yellow bottle 10W-40: Feel the quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put PZ yellow bottle 10W-40 in my '97 Accord a couple of weeks ago, and was astounded by how much less mechanical noise I heard compared to the PP 5W-30 that was in it.
I have a small stash of the 10W-40 left over from a now destroyed Mercedes, and I need to use it for something.
Honda allows a 10W-30 down to 20 degrees F, so I figured that a 1040 would be okay for a short run, through the end of November, where we will not likely see such low temps.
The bonus was in the incredibly quiet and smooth operation of the engine. I always thought that our old Civics were smoother than our later Accords. I wonder whether that's because the Civs got 10W-40, which Honda speced at the time, while we have always used either 10W-30 or 5W-30 in the Accords?

Yep, I dropped the PP 5W20 in my '07 CRV and put 5W20 yellow bottle in and the valve train was a tad quieter.

Quote:

I put PZ yellow bottle 10W-40 in my '97 Accord a couple of weeks ago, and was astounded by how much less mechanical noise I heard compared to the PP 5W-30 that was in it.

I don't doubt that one bit; thicker oils always make an engine smoother and quieter.
smile.gif
cheers.gif

Thicker oils increase/play into the engine sound deadner syndrome.

I think the same applies with many synthetics versus dinos in the same viscosity range.

Just give a couple minutes warmup time on the coldest winter days of Monroe Ohio.

A couple years ago, FIL was running Mobil Drive Clean 10w40 is his Chrysler minimum vans. Once when I changed the oil I snuck some Pennzoil 10w40 in there. (It was on sale!) MIL commented on how much quieter her van was since I worked on it. It sounded less noisy to me too. I think back then Pennzoil had a much better additive package(still does) but I can't be sure. The 472 seems to like at, as I have yellow-bottle 10w40 in the sump. Really wanted to run AMO but since I am selling her I just raided Grandpa's shed for yellow-bottle.

Quote:

Thicker oils increase/play into the engine sound deadner syndrome.

I always thought the thicker oil filling in the clearances between parts is what contributes to the quietness; you're making it seem like all it's doing is deadening the sound like the sound proof foam walls at the hearing test room in the doctor's office.
confused.gif
frown.gif

I have been running 5/30 Chevron Supreme in my V8 Tundra. Took it to a nearby dealer who uses Pennzoil. I could tell the difference, although slight. It was quieter

Triple,
Before the really cold weather comes, usually not before the first of the year, she will be back on PP 5W-30.
Are you saying that syns are usually thiner than dinos of a given viscosity range? PP does seem thin when you pour it in, as does M1. The GC I have in the other Accord, OTOH, seems fairly thick, which it is. It also has good sound attenuating qualities.
I might add that BB (before BITOG), I never really noticed that oil can actually make a difference in the mechanical noise one hears.

Quote:

Are you saying that syns are usually thiner than dinos of a given viscosity range?

Triple_Se7en will have his own answer, but I think some synthetic oils act like a thinner oil than they are; that's comparing them to their conventional counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back