Penske Indy Car, dirty trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indy Car race at Sonoma. On the final pit stop Scott Dixon who had been leading the entire race was leaving his pit box when Wil Power rt rear tire changer put himself and the tire he was carrying into the path of Dixons car.
Dixon hit the tire and sent Travis Law flying.

Dixon got a drive through penalty and Wil Power went on to win.

Travis Law should be on studio wrestling. So fake and so obvious.

At first, I thought it was intentional myself and it still could very well be. NBC Sports did interview the man who made the call on Dixon's penalty and he said that Dixon's left wheels just barely crossed into Will Power's pit box (this was confirmed with a replay at an overhead angle). So that was the deciding factor in making the call. Still a very tough call in my opinion.

Last edited:
I watched the video several times. In my opinion, he did not put himself in the path at all. The painted lines did NOT apply to that race series, contrary to what so many people immediately assumed.

I saw it as it happened and the many replays. I think it was not intentional. I don't think the Penske crewmember was dawdling unnecessarily in picking up the tire and moving off of pit road. He was already moving toward pit wall when Dixon started accelerating out of his box. Who's going to put himself into the path of a 700HP racecar at maximum acceleration coming out of a pit box? With the rear tires spinning, the rear of the car can easily swing around as the driver does a right-left flick to get on pit road. This is where I think that Dixon deserved the penalty. It is the driver's responsibility to control the car at all times.

Last edited:
Yes the rules are the rules. Dixon did hit the tire guy so the penalty was just.
BUT...the tire guy was moving as slow as he could, like he was going for a walk in the park.

Every other time I see these guys they are flying to get out of the way.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Yes the rules are the rules. Dixon did hit the tire guy so the penalty was just.
BUT...the tire guy was moving as slow as he could, like he was going for a walk in the park.

Every other time I see these guys they are flying to get out of the way.

He probably didn't think he needed to hustle because he was behind his driver's car, and hence not blocking him from leaving.

Drivers must yield to people, even on the race track.

These Indy drivers are angles of mercy when compared to F1 drivers. And of course there's always NASCAR if you like banners, signs, drivers as billboards and bumper cars that go very fast in big crowds and cause spectacular accidents. Where else can you see a Kellogg's Frosted Flakes billboard that goes almost 200 mph?

He probably didn't think he needed to hustle because he was behind his driver's car, and hence not blocking him from leaving.

Drivers must yield to people, even on the race track.[/quote]

This was not the tire mans first rodeo. He knew the first place driver was pitted directly behind him. If you watch Travis Law's helmet he never even turns to look at Dixons car. Do you think he did that because he was not interested it what was going on or was his lack of awareness part of the act?

I have the most respect for Roger Penske and what he has done for the sport of motor racing. I first met him at Watkins Glen in 1974. I hate to think what Indy Car racing would be without him.
I don't think Roger told this guy to get in the way... i think he did it on his own.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
These Indy drivers are angles of mercy when compared to F1 drivers.

In F1, pit crew members know to stay out of the way, or at least to seriously minimize the time they spend "in the way."

These Indy drivers are angles of mercy when compared to F1 drivers. And of course there's always NASCAR if you like banners, signs, drivers as billboards and bumper cars that go very fast in big crowds and cause spectacular accidents. Where else can you see a Kellogg's Frosted Flakes billboard that goes almost 200 mph?

Extra points in Rallys!

http://youtu.be/g7dYAjREsl4

Originally Posted By: supercity

Extra points in Rallys!

http://youtu.be/g7dYAjREsl4

Sometimes, it does not turn out that well, or as a minor incident, as in the tragedies which led to the banning of the 'Killer B' Group B machines in the mid '80s.
frown.gif

I miss Colin, he was quite the rally pilot, and character as well.

Originally Posted By: Garak
These Indy drivers are angles of mercy when compared to F1 drivers.

In F1, pit crew members know to stay out of the way, or at least to seriously minimize the time they spend "in the way."

I agree. Furthermore, F1 drivers seem to know how to stay on the track! The safety car periods in Indycar is something else, and after all these years, restarting drivers who don't keep their car running, puzzles me.

Still, while not my favorite, I still give it a watch!

In terms of getting on topic myself, the guy appeared to be almost intentionally remaining in the way. I thought he didn't want to get hit, but perhaps impede the driver's exit. However, now I figure with all that space between his box and the next drivers, he probably felt comfortable taking his time. Still strange.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back