Pennzoil

Wally out of Platinum 5W-20 so I got their regular full synthetic for my 2010 MDX. Have been using M1 EP for years but wanted to get $25 rebate. Will my X know the difference?

nope. as per your owners manual:

"You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil: it displays the API Certification Seal and it is the proper weight. You must follow the oil and filter change intervals shown on the multi-information display."

No fancy Dexos1 Gen2 or other approvals needed

FYI the current $25 rebate or 10 quarts rebate only applies to Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum. It does not apply to Pennzoil Full Synthetic

What exactly is the difference between the two? Is one a regular group 3 crude, while the other is a group 3 GTL?

Mobil burned 1.5 qrts every 5k miles in my 2019 KIA Sorento, while the PP didn't. If M1 didn't burn, I'd use that. Your car won't know the difference if it doesn't burn. Both are good.

Does it matter where you purchase to get the rebate? And if not where are most getting it for the best price?

Wally out of Platinum 5W-20 so I got their regular full synthetic for my 2010 MDX. Have been using M1 EP for years but wanted to get $25 rebate. Will my X know the difference?

It's really strange that the Acura MDX is backspeced for 2003-2006 but not 2007-2011 for 0W-20. It makes me suspicious that Honda may have been concerned viscosity was marginal in that engine and the potential for additional shearing was unacceptable.

What exactly is the difference between the two? Is one a regular group 3 crude, while the other is a group 3 GTL?

Pennzoil Platinum = GTL
Pennzoil Full Synthetic = Quaker State Full Synthetic

PFS and QSFS may be either regular GIII or GTL whichever is most practical for Shell at the time.

I would equate PFS with Mobil Super Synthetic.

Pennzoil Platinum = GTL
Pennzoil Full Synthetic = Quaker State Full Synthetic

PFS and QSFS may be either regular GIII or GTL whichever is most practical for Shell at the time.
Do you have evidence of this, or is this speculation based on tech sheets, SDS and cheap, mail-in oil analyses?

In my more than decade of employment at P-QS, the requirement for distribution centers and delivery trucks was that every time any pipe or hose switched from containing one brand to the other, a minimum of several gallons had to be pumped through and discarded to flush the line. This wouldn't be done with equal products. There was one product that was the same for both brands, but it wasn't an engine oil. That product, and all other products of similar types, had their own separate, dedicated bulk systems.

Do you have evidence of this, or is this speculation based on tech sheets, SDS and cheap, mail-in oil analyses?

In my more than decade of employment at P-QS, the requirement for distribution centers and delivery trucks was that every time any pipe or hose switched from containing one brand to the other, a minimum of several gallons had to be pumped through and discarded to flush the line. This wouldn't be done with equal products. There was one product that was the same for both brands, but it wasn't an engine oil. That product, and all other products of similar types, had their own separate, dedicated bulk systems.
Pennzoil (or any blender) is free to interchange base stocks per API Annex E and still keep their current API license. It's mostly centered around a minimum required viscosity index along with saturates and sulfur content. Either a conventional or GTL hydrocracked base stock can meet those requirements.

Pennzoil (or any blender) is free to interchange base stocks per API Annex E and still keep their current API license. It's mostly centered around a minimum required viscosity index along with saturates and sulfur content. Either a conventional or GTL hydrocracked base stock can meet those requirements.
Of course, but how does that make one product "=" to another? I know that wasn't your assertion.

Of course, but how does that make one product "=" to another? I know that wasn't your assertion.

I meant equivalent. It was in reference to the later statement that they are both their budget line synthetics that may or may not contain GTL but are not really claimed to. I've seen QSFS show up much thinner on a VOA (similar to PFS) compared to the PDS. I suspect it either had a large inclusion of GTL or the same base oil blend as PFS. Who knows? But Shell is free to do either or something else entirely. Platinum on the other hand has a claim on the label that it is GTL based and I will take them at their word.

Gotcha. It would be helpful if the equivalent symbol were on phone keyboards!
Maybe they are, but buried somewhere.

Back