Pennzoil YB 5w20 - 6400 mi - 07 Civic 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second UOA on this engine.

Civic2.jpg

The first was Motorcraft 5w20.

The last fill of MC did well, but this fill of YB Pennzoil did even better. The flagged materials from last time went down, which may have been the oil or may just be the engine still wearing in (at 30k miles? I don't know!).

The YB's TBN held up extremely well in the face of this longer OCI. Part of that is I added more makeup oil this time, but that was a while ago so the makeup oil may not be the whole story on that.

I haven't seen many older YB UOAs but the moly looks relatively low to me, perhaps indicating that this was indeed the new formulation that people have been asking for UOAs on (although the bottles were still the old design).

With UOAs like this on dino, I definitely won't be using synthetic in this engine. Looks like the OLM is pretty conservative. I changed out at 15% but the oil probably could've held out to 5% or 0% just fine.

I've got a new fill of YB in there now. Per Honda's service instructions, I kept the same filter (Napa Gold 1356) and did not drain it. I'll run another UOA on this fill to see if there are any differences that can be attributed to the reused filter.

Yay for YB... nice solid UOA!

That filter thing always got to me. My RSX manual said the same thing about every other oil change, but I never had the balls to try it. I always changed it just because. I'm REALLY interested to see your findings.

Nice numbers for this run on dino. Good to see someone push the mileage status quo with conventional oil.

I used to run my factory Toyota filter for 2 OCs, never had any problems. It was a side mount, and most of the oil drained out of it when dumping the oil. Basically, it was just me being lazy more than anything else.

In your case, I'm not sure that I wouldn't have taken the filter off and drained it before re-using it, although it's probably fairly small and doesn't hold that much oil anyway.

You might consider a blended oil, many good ones for not much more than YB.

The filter is quite small, and this one is good quality, so I'm not worried. With the TBN this high at the end of the run, I don't think the 1/2 quart or so the filter can hold will be a problem when diluted with a 3.5 quarts of new oil (plus the 0.5 to 1 quart I'll end up adding over the next OCI).

It will be interesting to see if there are any indications on the next UOA that the filter was run for two OCIs. Multiple manufacturers seem to be recommending this these days, and especially since the Honda OCIs are governed by the OLM I'm fairly confident the recommendation is sound.

Interesting report. Good work with back-to-back comparable brands. I'm stuck using stashed synth on my Honda, but if I was buying oil full price I'd definately just buy dino. As far as filters, I remove and drain them, reusing a good filter twice, but only with cheap oil at a 5000-6000 interval.

TBN and insol. levels indicate you could almsot double this interval w/o problem. YB 5W-20 always puts on a good show!

Originally Posted By: chaser06
I really wonder if this oil could go 10K with mostly highway miles in a Honda 4 cyl????

It could. Honda actually calls for 10k mile drain intervals in the Accord under normal driving conditions using conventional oil. Honda 4 cylinder engines just wear low regardless of oil choice. They are easy on oil.

Imagine the low maintenance on Honda small 4 cylinder engines, 10k miles with conventional oil and oil filter on second oil change. But most Honda owners change oil at 5k or less and filter at every oil change.

The Japanese are experts at small powerful and very long lasting engines. That's the reason they don't have to go begging to the taxpayer for our taxes - like those corporate welfare bums GM Chrysler and Ford.

Excellent report. And that engine only has a 3.5 litre capacity to boot... everyone should bow down to this engine.. I think you would get a great report with ANY oil... but YB sure seems to be the tops of dino.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
The Japanese are experts at small powerful and very long lasting engines. That's the reason they don't have to go begging to the taxpayer for our taxes - like those corporate welfare bums GM Chrysler and Ford.

Boy, are you retarded? Have you ever SEEN an RS200 Cosworth? Yeah, Ford's 650HP FOUR CYLINDER Rally Car.

The Japanese have BECOME experts at building, small, reliable (and now) quite powerful 4-cylinder engines. Ford had been building cars for FIVE DECADES before Subaru even existed!

In 1965, when Subaru rolled out their 55HP R1000, Ford rolled out a SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY SEVEN HORSEPOWER SOHC Hemispherical chambered engine that would spin to 8,000RPM; affectionately called the "Cammer".

In the late 50's, in what would become the Windsor block, Ford rolled out a DOHC destroked 260, which was used in the Ford/Lotus Indy Car. Subaru didn't even EXIST then as the company you associate with your four-bangers.

Ford was running the Cosworth in Ralley Racing a decade before the Impreza even existed.

You are talked out your [censored] and it's starting to [censored] me off.

No point in derailing this with irrelevant political banter... Plenty of good engine makers out there in plenty of countries...

I'm pretty sure the OLM would get close to 10k if I had a longer and flatter commute. As it is if I let it go down to 0% (which presumably still has some buffer left over) I'm pretty sure I'd be at 7500-8000 miles recommended. I don't think I'd want to push 10k miles on dino on my current commute, though.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Excellent report. And that engine only has a 3.5 litre capacity to boot... everyone should bow down to this engine.. I think you would get a great report with ANY oil... but YB sure seems to be the tops of dino.

Agreed, seems the little Honda 4-bangers yield some fantastic UOA's with just about anything in the crankcase.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
And that engine only has a 3.5 litre capacity to boot...

I think the actual capacity about a quart more than that. The manual says around 3.5 quarts for an oil change without filter, and 3.9 with filter. I vaguely remember reading 4.5 quarts total capacity in the service manual. So still fairly small, but not *that* small.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Agreed, seems the little Honda 4-bangers yield some fantastic UOA's with just about anything in the crankcase.

I see this sentiment a lot around here, but have we really seen many bad UOAs on any medium performance 4 bangers from any manufacturer awithout some contributing problems?

Boy, are you retarded? Have you ever SEEN an RS200 Cosworth? Yeah, Ford's 650HP FOUR CYLINDER Rally Car.

The Japanese have BECOME experts at building, small, reliable (and now) quite powerful 4-cylinder engines. Ford had been building cars for FIVE DECADES before Subaru even existed!

In 1965, when Subaru rolled out their 55HP R1000, Ford rolled out a SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY SEVEN HORSEPOWER SOHC Hemispherical chambered engine that would spin to 8,000RPM; affectionately called the "Cammer".

In the late 50's, in what would become the Windsor block, Ford rolled out a DOHC destroked 260, which was used in the Ford/Lotus Indy Car. Subaru didn't even EXIST then as the company you associate with your four-bangers.

Ford was running the Cosworth in Ralley Racing a decade before the Impreza even existed.

What happened between then and now is what I think about. Cosworth is not Ford .There was a Cosworth Chevrolet Vega I never heard any bragging about that engine.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

What happened between then and now is what I think about. Cosworth is not Ford .There was a Cosworth Chevrolet Vega I never heard any bragging about that engine.

And Lotus isn't Ford either; but they were involved in many joint projects many moons ago. The RS200 is a somewhat decorated car due to it's history. I'd imagine the Vega isn't
wink.gif

It's very possible to praise one brand without running another, or MANY others into the ground with brash, rude and unfounded comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back