Pennzoil Syn or YB

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Lexus RX300 is on PP right now and I do mostly 5k to 6K or 6 month OCI's. Daily drive is about 30 easy miles going 45-50mph with maybe 20% traffic. Right now I have 85k miles on it and I have owned this since 35k miles and yes I am aware that this engine is prone to sludging and I dont have any sludge right now. The car runs fine and all but I'm thinking of switching to the ever reliable Yellow Bottle and do 5k Oci's instead of PP. Will this hurt my engine considering my driving habits. Cost is not an issue here, just curious on what my options are since YB is easy to find and who knows what will happen to PP since PU is here..

For this particular engine I would say PP for 6 month 6-7k oci's. You can probably find it on sale right now with PU coming out. Check your local walmart and buy a few jugs. When you run out you can evaluate the options again.

I also have a 2001 RX 300 with 87K miles...I was running Super76 which is a Conoco synthetic blend...I recently switched over to PP and are happy with the switch...probably will stay with PP at 6-7K OCI

I was doing 4K OCI with the S76 blend oil...

I would recommend you stay with PP

Good Luck

Keep doing what is working for your engine. Using PP or PU will help keep your engine clean with your conservative OCI.

kits73,

I use PP in the winter and PYB the rest of the year but I put 20,000 miles a year on my car

My wife's car I just use PYB she only puts 12,000-15,000 miles a year

Andy

I have the same engine in an '02 Avalon. First, I'd use a syn hands down with that engine's history. Second, I would not go over 5k/6 month OCI. Third, change the PCV at a 15k mi interval. Some guys will scream about waste, etc but if the car is a good one, you need to keep it that way.
I use GC and just got a UOA done at 125k with this regimen and I'm good to go another 100k or until the trans grenades.
Having said that, I'm a big fan of PYB and PP in the right app.
The sludge issue is like weeds in the grass on the Toyota forums.
A little neglect and you've got an expensive nightmare on your hands. Your oil thinking is a good one but that engine has demands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back