Pennzoil Platinum vs Mobil 1 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search but apparently i am not very talented with the keywords.

I currently run Mobil 1 5w-30 in my 99 Taurus with Vulcan v6 but have been thinking about switching to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

I have seen the VOA of both but am wondering some straight opinions as i don't know which figures to look at in these.

Nothing wrong with M1 i'd run the HM formula tho,and nothing wrong with PP or PUfine oil too,take your pick can't go wrong.

I have about 125k miles on my 99 Taurus, what kind of advantages does the High Mileage Mobil 1 offer compared to the regular 5w-30 i have been using?

Also should i stick with about a 7500 mile OCI even with the High Mileage oil?

Originally Posted By: daman
Nothing wrong with M1 i'd run the HM formula tho,and nothing wrong with PP or PUfine oil too,take your pick can't go wrong.

Both are great oils. I personally go with PP because its an everyday price of $20.50 at Walmart and I do lean towards sopus products. If you have been running M1 without a problem whats to consider?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
If it ain't broke,don't fix it.

Exactly, those were my Grand Father`s famous word`s as well.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I get my Gallon of Mobil 1 for about $21 when its on sale at either Walmart or Meijer otherwise its about $23

They don't sell gallons at Walmart except for the TDT. They sell 5 quart jugs. A gallon is 4 quarts

Bewteen M1 5w30 EP and M1 0w30 AFE, I can't see any reason for plain M1 5w30 to still exist, although its a good enough oil. I would go for the EP if you are concerned about lengthening out drain intervals, and I would go with 0w30 AFE if you're very picky about better base stocks.

No opinion on any of those versus PP. Its good stuff too.

Bewteen M1 5w30 EP and M1 0w30 AFE, I can't see any reason for plain M1 5w30 to still exist, although its a good enough oil. I would go for the EP if you are concerned about lengthening out drain intervals, and I would go with 0w30 AFE if you're very picky about better base stocks.

No opinion on any of those versus PP. Its good stuff too.

Okay,Okay......
45.gif

Go to Wal Mart and pick up the five quart jug of Quaker State Synthetic for $18.50, or the Super Tech Syn for $18. Both meet GM 4718m which is a far tougher standard than anything your Taurus can throw at it.

Originally Posted By: buster
I like the new M1 5w30.
Buster's right and can expand on my answer. I think they reformulated M1.I looked at the spec. sheet and noticed the M1 density had increased to .86 from .80. Thicker density seems to run smoother. PP is .85 density. The new M1 should run smoother than the old M1.

Yes i meant the 5 quart jug that i buy at walmart.

I have never been recommended Quaker State Synthetic or Super Tech before, how would you compare those to Mobil 1?

Does Mobil 1 and PP meet this GM 4718m standard as well or surpass it?

Last edited:
Both Mobil 1 and PP meet or exceed the GM4718 spec as well as the Honda HT-06 and GM Dexos 1 spec.

Most synthetics in the 5W-30 viscosity meet the GM4718 spec but not the other two.

Are we talking about the Mobil 1 extended performance with the goldish labeling that says guaranteed 15,000 mile performance?

If so what kind of filter lasts 15k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back