Pennzoil platinum performance vs mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: penz08
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Trav
If both were 5w20 any difference in performance IMO is psychological. Both are good oils, i wouldn't say one was "better" than the other.

This.

If you do some research, you will see.

Please expand on this. I've been on this board for many years now, so if I've missed some form of research that you appear to be alluding to, I'm all ears.

Well, i guess you did not have been here long enough..... Its easy, youtube oil dyno synthetic.... You will see some test..... You will not GAIN power, just free up some, never said increase 20 horses!!!

Please expand on this. I've been on this board for many years now, so if I've missed some form of research that you appear to be alluding to, I'm all ears.

It's in the Butt Dyno research, as Old Mustang Guy mentioned.
wink.gif

Penz08, you have lots to learn about oils. A lot of your statements are not true. I suggest some reading on the main page about oils in general and surf the gasoline pcmo forum. 5k on dino is perfectly fine, heck even 7.5k depending on your driving conditions and engine. Why use 10w-30 in a Chrysler? Because that's what some of Chrysler engines are speced to run on and says to use it in the OM.

Last edited:
Well, i guess you did not have been here long enough..... Its easy, youtube oil dyno synthetic.... You will see some test..... You will not GAIN power, just free up some, never said increase 20 horses!!!

Says the guy that has been here a week?
crazy2.gif
Yeah.........

And BTW, what does "i guess you did not have been here long enough" mean? And why should youtube be my source of lubricant information? Wouldn't you consider it a better idea to learn from tribologists and fellow lube enthusiasts (this site) than from some possibly propaganda-spewing youtube vid? Naw, that would make too much sense I guess.

Volks06, the last thing i would do is run dino more than 5k, like really, you need to be educated a bit on oil, diffrence dino vs better juice, btw how a 10w30 would perfom in -30? Not realler a good mix, especially with dino oil, unless you live in a warm location... Or have a valve noise in the morning, espacialy with dodge clacking ratteling sound. For the best protection, i think you should do some homework, there is so many products out there that people prefer than dino.

Well prove me wrong, all you did is cry a river, without givin any proven facts, do you know better?

I cried a river? Where?

Was it in Shediac or Midgic? Perhaps Bouctouche?

Proven facts? Well we could start with very basic things like API, ACEA and various manufacturer specs, tests and approvals.

I ran 6,000 mile OCIs on dino (Quaker State) back in the 1980s on the taxi fleet, with the engines outlasting the bodies, routinely lasting into the hundreds of thousands of miles, with no engine problems. That was with 10w-30, in Saskatchewan. My personal vehicles have gone to very high mileage as well, with very few forays into synthetic.

Also, with respect to 5,000 miles on dino, that's easily possible. Most new vehicles have OCIs exceeding 5,000 miles, and many others have OLMs. Few of them specify synthetic oils.

I don't doubt that there are many people that "prefer" synthetic over dino. "Prefer" doesn't equal "need" nor does it mean that vehicles cannot live an equally long life on conventional.

Personally, I'm going to stick with conventional in my applications for the foreseeable future.

Volks06, the last thing i would do is run dino more than 5k, like really, you need to be educated a bit on oil, diffrence dino vs better juice, btw how a 10w30 would perfom in -30? Not realler a good mix, especially with dino oil, unless you live in a warm location... Or have a valve noise in the morning, espacialy with dodge clacking ratteling sound. For the best protection, i think you should do some homework, there is so many products out there that people prefer than dino.

This response clearly shows your ignorance on the subject of motor oils. Where did I say to use a 10w-30 Dino in very cold temps?

For the best protection I need to do homework on what? Like really i need to do more homework, says a guy that has 10 posts and just registered.....
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Ok i see you cant back up your words, only with the small prints on the bottle like they all have and proven to be the best, yeah right, never mimd i will find somebody else for my questions.....

Ok i see you cant back up your words, only with the small prints on the bottle like they all have and proven to be the best, yeah right, never mimd i will find somebody else for my questions.....

Maybe I need a one-armed bandit and a bottle of bleach. I'm sure that's the kind of "proof" such an obviously gifted individual is looking for.

Thanks tig1 for ycur answer, i think u are right for the oc intervals, m1 is better base stock, did you ever tried roya purple, i heard on some forums it was quite good?

Hey people,

Im using mobil 1 5w20 in a 1.6 that need to rev a lot to get some power, i have used pennzoil platinum before and i feel it was performing better in that small engine, better mileage, and the cara feels light, and more responsive.

Is mobil 1 is not the best anymore? Any comments?

I'd choose M1 0W-20 over both for it's higher VI.

The best 20wt value in Canada is the XOM made Toyota 0W-20 with it's 216 VI and robust AW add' pac', closely followed by the Idemitsu made Honda/Acura 0W-20.

Nice, did you tried that oil often? Did you find a real diffrence in milleage, and also did you used pp before, just for me as a reference to compare.

^It varies, sometimes by country and depending on the spec the bottle says it is(SM > SN had a change in formulation at least).

I'd say Pennzoil Ultra compares well to M1 lineup. Perhaps even M1 EP as far as extended OCI potential. Platinum is a good oil, though it's hard to compare and debate differences in actual performance areas. Are you trying to define 'performance' as dyno chart WHP?

I bet if you took 50 engines of varying type and had 2 candidates of each 'engine', 1 running a M1 oil of 'Owners Manual' grade and the same model engine run on Pennzoil Platinum(that is the debate here), you would probably have INCONCLUSIVE dyno charts on which oil 'allowed' the engine to 'make the most WHP'.

So many variables, it's hardly scientific to do a dyno test and call that legit. You'd have to spend some serious money and repeated testing conditions of varying type to get an actual answer for YOUR car.

Maybe I need a one-armed bandit and a bottle of bleach. I'm sure that's the kind of "proof" such an obviously gifted individual is looking for.

^I was impressed with head & shoulders myself. Good 'oil'. :p

did the engine rev easier, aslo do you know who makes toyota 0w20

Because of it's very high VI it'a about 65% lighter at 0C and even 30% lighter at 25C vs a typical 5W-20. So yes you should notice the reduced oil drag on everytime you start your car.

It's made my Mobil in the States. Is imported in bulk my Esso (Imperial Oil) and bottled here in 1 litre and 5L jugs.
It costs about 5 bucks/L at your local Toyota/Lexus dealer.
The following is a VOA on the oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2409059#Post2409059

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back