Pennzoil mayonaise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I changed oil on the 2004 5.4 F-150 and found the cap & oil filler full of mayonaise, the FIRST TIME since new in nearly 52,000 miles. However, the oil removed was PYB 5W20 (GF-4/SM) while ALL previous oil changes were with Motorcraft synblend.

The PYB had only 2237 miles on it over a 6 month winter period, i.e. averaging only 373 miles per month. Obviously, my use was for short driving distances with inadequate engine warmups. But, I'm unsure whether the first-time appearance of mayonaise is related to the PYB use vis-a-vis MC or the seasonal mileage scenario. At any rate, MC is now back in the engine...we'll see.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Its a seasonal thing. As long as it drains dark amber you should not have to worry.

I think its condensation from cold weather.

+1

My GF's VW beetle does this in the winter.

Also, the VW does it even worse if it's only driven short trips.

It probably has nothing to do with the oil brand.

Last edited:
You also might want to take a look at the pcv system. Make sure the pvc valve is free moving and not plugged with scum. Also, make sure you get a good vacuum from the engine on the pvc line. I've seen pvc passages within the throttle body clogged with hardened crust.

Originally Posted By: highmilegeguy
You also might want to take a look at the pcv system. Make sure the pvc valve is free moving and not plugged with scum. Also, make sure you get a good vacuum from the engine on the pvc line. I've seen pvc passages within the throttle body clogged with hardened crust.

Exactly what I was thinking. We had this happen on a new Ford pickup back in the early 80's.

I've gotten similar looking stuff on my old Tercel and in the Ranger. A good highway rip for 45 minutes before parking, none of this. A lot of putting around town over and over and it starts to form. Just moisture.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: highmilegeguy

Exactly what I was thinking. We had this happen on a new Ford pickup back in the early 80's.

+1. You've got water in your crankcase and it is forming an emulsion with the oil. It doesn't have anything to do with the brand of oil you're using. Either your crankcase isn't being vented properly and water from combustion is building up or you've got water getting in there from somewhere else.

Because the oil fill cap is elevated well above the cam cover moisture can collect there.No problem with the engine or oil.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Its a seasonal thing. As long as it drains dark amber you should not have to worry.

I think its condensation from cold weather.

It's not the oil it is how the vehicle is used. I'd drive that truck a good hour before I changed that oil, and burn off the condensation.

My dads 3.7 Jeep had badd mayonaise with PYB. He took it on a 500 mile trip for a business meeting and it disappeared. Probably b/c of all his short trips. Plus he had a long filler neck too.

i had that with havoline in a co-workers expedition.. in the summer. the truck wasn't a short trip vehicle either.. i made her switch to valvoline and so far everything was ok.. coulda just been a fluke..

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Yesterday I changed oil on the 2004 5.4 F-150 and found the cap & oil filler full of mayonaise, ...

That problem is really noticeable with forklifts running on propane. Propane produces more water than other fuel. You will also notice it more in engines that are run in the rain, or where the air intake sucks in more rain saturated air. Driving on the highway while it is raining, and the cars in front are throwing up water spray, will cause that also. A little water in the combustion chamber will go out the tail pipe. A lot of water in the combustion chamber will cause some steam/water to get past the rings.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
This is extremely common on the Ford modular v8s because of the long fill necks they have. Our 4.6l does the same in the winter.

My plow truck does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back