Pennzoil HM 5W-30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Looks like Pennzoil (and some other companies) are getting away from ZDDP and metallic detergents/dispersants. I wonder what their alternatives are...Johnny, do you know?

I just now saw this thread. I do not know what additives Shell is using now other than what brand of additives they use.

I do know one thing, that VOA report is WAY off base. Those zinc and phos numbers should be almost 3x more than what is reported.

Johnny,
So you think that the testing is off?
Does Blackstone need to calibrate their instruments? I'd say so!
Maybe they need to check/change their controlls.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Johnny,
So you think that the testing is off?
Does Blackstone need to calibrate their instruments? I'd say so!
Maybe they need to check/change their controlls.

Since I don't work for Blackstone and have never been there, I cannot really comment on their instrument or control issues. But I can say the numbers in the OP original post from 11/04/10 are not correct.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I just now saw this thread. I do not know what additives Shell is using now other than what brand of additives they use.

I bit OT but this is my pet peeve:

There is no doubt that new oil formulations are far ahead of the current $25 VOA we have easy access to and post on BITOG. They can't detect new cutting edge additives. I don't recall when BStone last updated their list of additives tested in an analysis. Beyond confirming 40C and 100C and TBN I don't see the point any more of doing a VOA on these SN/GF-5/dexos oils.

the crazy thing is it seems like every time i see a VOA that has ZDDP this low it is PHM. I think i have seen three of them now. What the heck is up with Black Stone? How do they not see that this dont look right? You think they would have a sanity check before they send this stuff out.

If anyone remembers the Quaker State High Mileage report from like a year back? That one was very low as well, from blackstone. When it was run by another lab it came back more like it should be. For some reason Blackstone apparently has problems with high mileage oil- which is very strange, to me.

Ah , here we are.
These are the QS HM data sets
Blackstone Data
Quote:
0 Aluminum
0 Chromium
0 Iron
0 Copper
0 Lead
0 Tin
66 Molybdenum
0 Nickel
0 Manganese
0 Silver
0 Titanium
3 Potassium
100 Boron
2 Silicon
0 Sodium
1130 Calcium
4 Magnesium
363 Phosphorus
458 Zinc
0 Barium
63.9 SUS Viscosity @ 210 F
11.31 cSt Viscosity @ 100 C
420 Flashpoint in F
0.0 Insolubles%
7.6 TBN

Dyson Data
Quote:
Calcium - 1692
Magnesium - 8
Zinc - 808
Phos - 759
Moly - 247
Silicon - 4
Boron - 142
Vis @ 100c - 11.5
Flash - 400
TBN - 7.2

Last edited:
i know when the pennzoil HM came back bad, it was retested fine and i believe johnny confirmed through the company that it was good also. [censored] seems to make a lot of errors.

Waste of money having your oil tested, especially if you have concerns with the quality of the test... Just do normal OCI's with a good quality syn oil.

Isn't this what Lubrizol's hyper ZDDP is supposed to look like? Let's not shoot the messenger just yet! Maybe it's progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back