SUS Viscosity @ 210'F – 65.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100'C – 11.63
Flashpoint in 'F - 425
Fuel % -
Antifreeze % -
Water % - 0.0
Insolubles % - TRace
TBN –

This is what fresh Pennzoil High Mileage 5W/30 looks like. No problems were noted with viscosity or
water dilution, and a trace of insolubles just shows that the oil was a little oxidized, but that's not a problem.
Note the additives present. Molybdenum, phosphorus, and zinc are all anti-wear additives, and boron,
calcium, and magnesium are detergent/dispersant additives. This oil is just fine for use.

I am using this in my sons 01 saturn, really has cut oil usage to 1/2 quart in 2000 miles. I'm surprised the zinc is only 355!

Last edited:
This is similar to another Pennzoil HM VOA that was posted a few years ago...very low calcium, zinc and phosphorus. I would like to see Blackstone run the VOA another time.

err wait... what?
zinc - 355
boron - 50
calcium - 1188
sodium - 1
and moly - 108?

This is... um... strange. So little zinc, but a so-so amount of moly. With little detergent. *confused* Shouldn't all these numbers be like... x2?

I don't get it.
confused.gif

Looks like Pennzoil (and some other companies) are getting away from ZDDP and metallic detergents/dispersants. I wonder what their alternatives are...Johnny, do you know?

So am I interpreting this correctly as one or more of:
  • there are anti-wear/extreme-pressure components in the additive package which aren't part of what Blackstone is testing for and reporting
  • the moly is expected to make up for loss of ZDDP for AW/EP purposes
  • avoiding cat posioning has won out over AW/EP protection (disappointing for a product marketed as HM)
  • testing lab error

I have the 10W-30 version of this stuff in my '05 Honda S2000.

It has about 2,000 miles on it and will likely sit in the crankcase over the winter. I'll put several hundred more miles on it in the spring and drain it to make way for Pennzoil Platinum.

Boron and calcium are not merely detergents, they can also be anti-wear as well.

I'd love to see this stuff formulated the way Val Max-Life was formulated when it first came out about a decade ago ... boatloads of anti-wear (moly) ... but with the better Pennzoil Group II+ base oils.

There was a similar issue when B. S tested the quaker state hm 5w30. Johnny sent another sample from the same bottle to dyson and the report came back looking alot better.

Originally Posted By: JT1
There was a similar issue when B. S tested the quaker state hm 5w30. Johnny sent another sample from the same bottle to dyson and the report came back looking alot better.

Yeah, this isn't the first time we've seen this - numbers are off due to lab error - no way the add-levels for Zn, P, and Ca are this low.

The moly and boron are most likely correct.

[censored] numbers are so consistently off anymore I rarely put much stock in them. I've seen a few samples sent off at the same time to other labs, sometimes multiple labs all at once, [censored] is always the odd duck out and is off from the others. I don't believe that low of ZDDP in this oil is right.

Originally Posted By: lewdwig
I put this in the 1996 Saturn.

I'm getting about 400 miles to a quart, crankcase oil is very dark. The Saturn has about 161k miles on it. I'll do a UOA in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back