Pennzoil Cleaning Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Look, what I know is that an engine that has had 210k put on it using QSAD has got crud all over the innards. I ran two oci's of PHM 5w-30 for less than 2500 miles each and the oil was black as night when drained which tells me it's cleaning very well just from that angle. I'm not saying it has rebuilt the entire motor but it has done its job cleaning. Quaker state is a good oil and I'm not trying to discredit that. I'm just telling you of my observation between it and Pennzoils cleaning abilities.

You guys really need to calm down around here. I swear you get your head bitten off for asking a question or making a statement and heaven forbid somebody decides your wrong....

After 210K there was likely a lot use of older API spec'd QS used. I have doubt using a HM with added detergents loosened a lot of the older crud out of that engine. I have no doubt however if another PCMO was used other than QS her engine would be just as cruddy and if QS Defy was used similar results would have been obtained.

I prefer using SOPUS PMCO's and Pennzoil in particular but have used a lot of Formula Shell and green bottle QS and been just as pleased as if I used Pennzoil.

well pennzoil did for an engine what Quaker state didn't and still can't. Proof is in the pudding my friend

What OCIs were used? What evidence of sludging do you have in the first place?

I've run a taxi fleet to millions of kilometres, solely on QSGB at double the manufacturer intervals, with no sludge. Pennzoil and Quaker State products of the same tier are functionally interchangeable. So are the products from the competition. There are far more similarities than differences.

Almost every time that I've seen a sludged engine, I've always been assured that its oil was changed religiously every 3000 miles with, and not only that, with a top flight synthetic, too. No one ever neglects oil changes or their PCV, of course. It's always the oil's fault.

If I had to gauge a oil by its cleaning ability by how black it turned. It would be Castrol GTX. That oil gets black quicker than any other oil. GTX compared to PYB turns black in about half the miles in the car.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: davison0976
Not until that long ago Pennzoil's web page was showing how it can clean engine better than Valvoline and Mobil1 by displaying oil bottles on top of pistons with PP being higher than the other two.

But Castrol which is a major brand was left out. Do you think Castrol does a better job at that and that's why it was left out? Pennzoil could easily squeeze 4 pistons in that image.

Pennzoil did use to show a graph that had Castrol listed. The current one now doesn't list it any more. Castrol could have been reformulated and is now producing better results. For whatever reason Pennzoil stopped including Castrol's results.

Pennzoil is still claiming cleaner pistons versus any synthetic.

Yes, They are, but, they used to show Castrol in the results. Now, they only list Mobil 1 and Valvoline. Pennzoil has a reason why they did that.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Not until that long ago Pennzoil's web page was showing how it can clean engine better than Valvoline and Mobil1 by displaying oil bottles on top of pistons with PP being higher than the other two.

But Castrol which is a major brand was left out. Do you think Castrol does a better job at that and that's why it was left out? Pennzoil could easily squeeze 4 pistons in that image.

Pennzoil did use to show a graph that had Castrol listed. The current one now doesn't list it any more. Castrol could have been reformulated and is now producing better results. For whatever reason Pennzoil stopped including Castrol's results.

Pennzoil is still claiming cleaner pistons versus any synthetic.

Yes, They are, but, they used to show Castrol in the results. Now, they only list Mobil 1 and Valvoline. Pennzoil has a reason why they did that.

For one it could be Castrol is no longer a sales leader in synthetics in the US, their market share dropped 50% since the marketing campaign started in 2012. It has been over taken by Valvoline for the number 3 spot and is in a virtual tie with Havoline for the 4th and 5th spots respectfully.

Two if the new Castrol product does not preform any better 20% versus the ISLAC standard what is the point of beating a dead horse? Castrol does not even bother to market cleanliness claims. Castrol does not even bother to mention its performance claims other than versus M-1.

For one it could be Castrol is no longer a sales leader in synthetics in the US, their market share dropped 50% since the marketing campaign started in 2012. It has been over taken by Valvoline for the number 3 spot and is in a virtual tie with Havoline for the 4th and 5th spots respectfully.

Two if the new Castrol product does not preform any better 20% versus the ISLAC standard what is the point of beating a dead horse? Castrol does not even bother to market cleanliness claims. Castrol does not even bother to mention its performance claims other than versus M-1.

And after reading here I was thinking Magnatec was the Cat's Meow.

Oil is cheap.

Do what makes you sleep better.

If driving in extreme conditions 3000 miles or 6 months or whatever the oil life monitor tells you if the vehicle has one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
... I've run a taxi fleet to millions of kilometres, solely on QSGB at double the manufacturer intervals, with no sludge. ...

thumbsup2.gif
This shows that QSGB does a good job keeping an engine clean, which doesn't surprise me.

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Castrol GTX Conventional 5W-30
FRAM Tough Guard Oil Filter #TG3614
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

I can't speak for castrol on this matter but I have personally seen pennzoil clean the V8 on my mother in laws truck. Switched from QSAD 5w-30 to PHM and in less than 2200 miles of an oci, pulled the plug and it was straight black mess pouring out. The wix filter was just as horrible. I'm not squashing QS good name because it got her motor 210k original miles(mostly QS) but Pennzoil has made a believer out of me in the art of cleaning that mess.

You are aware that Quaker State and Pennzoil are both SOPUS brands, and have been married/merged, originally as Pennzoil-QuakerState since 1998 right?

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
This shows that QSGB does a good job keeping an engine clean, which doesn't surprise me.

And I'd continue to use it without hesitation as one of my top PCMO choices. In fact, I still do use it.

Does anyone really know if Pennzoil really cleans better than other equal price point oils? We seem to fall for marketing like Lemmings running over a cliff.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Which one would be a better cleaning oil? A Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil 1 High Mileage, or Redline? If price and availability are NOT the main factors.

Mobil 1 HM does a excellent job. I have not tried PU or RL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back