Peak oil vs the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just gave you the information please by all means inform me what looks so great in it. Because there isnt much to see in the voa.....a weak add pack isnt normal for 0w20, compare the peak to any other 0w20 troll much...

Last edited:
.........peak 0w-20.....toyota 0w20....qsud 0w20....mobil1 0w20
sil......1..............1..............10...........4
boron....1..............1..............10...........73
sodium...374............1..............2............0
magnesium.5.............12.............11...........629
calcium..1282...........2829...........2453.........844
phos.....622............906............768..........548
zinc.....773............910............918..........548
moly.....0..............128............57...........60
VI.......165............216............216..........173
TBN......6.7............6.9............9.2..........8.8

there's some numbers to mull over, this is getting off topic so i'm done engaging you. To the OP the grade of oil you are desiring to run may help in your decision. If you are going for the absolute cheapest whatever is on sale including the peak. But if you are wanting the best for the money then I would stay with the PYB, would you care to share what the problems you have been having with the PYB. If you simply want to try another, I would say VWB ,Havoline or the Castrol would all be excellent choices, and since there is a desire for cheap go with whatever is on sale of the three. As another posted stated earlier, nextgen has a killer rebate right now at aap and orielly

Last edited:
PYB is over priced/over hyped fan boy oil. Also for $4 more I can use M1 Synthetic...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dupree
.........peak 0w-20.....toyota 0w20....qsud 0w20....mobil1 0w20
sil......1..............1..............10...........4
boron....1..............1..............10...........73
sodium...374............1..............2............0
magnesium.5.............12.............11...........629
calcium..1282...........2829...........2453.........844
phos.....622............906............768..........548
zinc.....773............910............918..........548
moly.....0..............128............57...........60
VI.......165............216............216..........173
TBN......6.7............6.9............9.2..........8.8

there's some numbers to mull over, this is getting off topic so i'm done engaging you. To the OP the grade of oil you are desiring to run may help in your decision. If you are going for the absolute cheapest whatever is on sale including the peak. But if you are wanting the best for the money then I would stay with the PYB, would you care to share what the problems you have been having with the PYB. If you simply want to try another, I would say VWB ,Havoline or the Castrol would all be excellent choices, and since there is a desire for cheap go with whatever is on sale of the three. As another posted stated earlier, nextgen has a killer rebate right now at aap and orielly

That's a good comparison. I see that the add pack is a bit different between all of the oils. The sodium content in Peak can be an appropriate alternative to calcium. No single oil here has any detergent quantities that seem to be insufficient (largely depends upon base stock anyway). It's largely considered that "pure" synthetics (whatever that is supposed to mean) need less dispersant / detergent. Does this automatically mean that Peak and Mobil are "better" base stock than the other two? No.

In terms of pure anti-wear additives, one could assume that Mobil 1 is the weakest of all, based purely upon numbers alone for phosphorous / zinc / moly. But I don't think that this is the case and is relatively meaningless and also depends upon the base stock. In fact, both Peak and Mobil contain fewer anti-wear additives than the Toyota and QSUD. By these numbers, are we saying that Mobil is inferior to the other brands? Peak's ZDP is higher than Mobil's. But modern synthetic passenger car oils *all* have fewer anti-wear additives because there is a direct correlation between additives and fuel economy, in addition the the requirements of new oils and potential damage to catalytic converters.

The TBN is comparable to Toyota's oil. It's been my understanding that lower sulphur content in fuel make a lower TBN a requirement in modern oils for modern engines. A TBN of 6.5~7 is perfectly normal for a passenger car motor oil.

It should be noted that neither Peak, nor Toyota's oil, nor Mobil 1 (standard) are formulated for extended drain intervals (I'm talking 15k, because I'd consider anything from 5k-8k pretty normal these days). It doesn't mean that they cannot be used this way, but Mobil wants you to spend additional money on their "Extended Performance" oil. All "extended service" oils with a higher TBN will cost a minimum of $2 QT more than Peak at normal prices. There is truly no way you can determine longevity of an oil anyway off of its virgin TBN alone. I suspect that if you used all of these oils in the same application, and sent the results to the same lab, there would be extreme variance.

Is Peak Syn's price really all that great compared to anything else? Not really. It's doubtful that any normal everyday prices for oil are going to be all that different since they all are trying to get the most money possible and protect their margins. But I just recently got a case of Peak Syn 5w-20 for roughly $2 and some change per Qt after rebate. That's just as good as the current Mobil Clean 5000 deal that's going on right now. That's as good as the Mobil 1 promotion. It's not better than QSUD's 5 free quarts, but nothing beats free oil (except for free beer). I'll use it without fear that my car is going to explode when I pour it in.

Peak should be considered a name brand just like any other. Just because it's the "new kid on the block" doesn't mean anything. And anyone making the argument that "they don't make their own oil" (as I've read in other threads) is being foolish. Neither does Toyota (yet they have their own oil). Neither do all sorts of other "name brand" oils. They buy base stock from the same sources as anyone else.

So, with these numbers, I still fail to see why Peak is unsatisfactory. The 0w-20 seems perfectly fine for the applications for which it is intended - high-efficiency vehicles. Is it a racing oil? No. But neither are any of these other oils. If I want racing oil I'll spend a few bucks more per Qt of Red Line or Royal Purple. If I want extended drain intervals I'll spend twice as much for Mobil 1 Extended or AMSOIL. I wouldn't expect miracles. It's an oil that does what it says it's supposed to do, according to the API.

I've noticed that the most practical folks that I've read in these forums say "Use an API certified oil that is right for your car", and I'd tend to agree with them (which is why I've stopped being so loyal to one brand or another since I've joined). I used to use Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower in my cars exclusively, and now I really don't care all that much anymore. That's what API and groups like PQIA are for.

I would have no problem using Peak, or any of these other oils in either of my cars. And Peak conventional is $1 per Qt at O'Reilly right now. That's still pretty good. It's not like you'd be buying "US Spirit" or anything like that.

Originally Posted By: cjohns79ut
PYB is over priced/over hyped fan boy oil. Also for $4 more I can use M1 Synthetic...

Don't know where you're buying your oil, but the difference between the two is usually $10

You complain about "over priced, over hyped fan boy oil" and then endorse Mobil 1?

Now THAT is funny!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

You complain about "over priced, over hyped fan boy oil" and then endorse Mobil 1?

Now THAT is funny!
crackmeup2.gif

I agree with you KCJeep.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Noshow13
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Now THAT is funny!
crackmeup2.gif

I agree with you KCJeep.
thumbsup2.gif

And I agree with you both---if there ever was an overpriced over-hyped oil......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back