PayPal unauthorized charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently found an unauthorized charge to my PP account.
It seems to stem from a $10 Ebay purchase with free shipping. The $10 charge was made, but on my PP account a 'Related charge' was also made of $143.

I filed a complaint with PP, giving details, only to receive a few days later an email stating:

"We have completed our investigation of your case and, as there is
insufficient evidence in support of your claim, we have denied your
Unauthorized Account Use Claim."

No explanation offered!

It seems I would have to write to PP in Omaha to get report details. (which I have)
No other recourse seems available.

I did get a customer satisfaction survey from PP the following day. My response was as you might expect.

Anyone else had a situation like this?

Nope. I always find paypal via a cc, so I have a recourse. Did you fund from a bank acct?

I pay PP via Mastercard, but I assumed PP would be my first recourse.
I will take the charge up with Mastercard, but really, I did expect at least an explanation from PP before they simply deny my claim.

Did you try to contact the E-bay seller for an explanation of the charges or at least provide feedback?

Last edited:
I stopped using my paypal a/c
This is the very reason I stopped using it.
I only buy from places taking a CC directly,
just do a charge back from your credit card, that will get their attention,
I bet you that they did NOT even look at your complaint.

PP is a private version of the IRS, not a lot you can do short of taking them to court. I read their agreement and decided never to do business with them.
YMMV
Smoky

I've always been suspicious of PP. I always pay by CC and REFUSE to link my checking account to my PP account.

I would definitely dispute the charge with the bank that issued your MasterCard.

The only reason I still have a Paypal account is because of Bill Me Later. I use it for the 6 months 0% interest on airfare or online purchase promos that allow 0% for 6 months for using it. Free money is the best money, otherwise they stink!

I did a charge back my Paypal linked CC several years ago.I was not going to spend a lot of time calling and trying to reason with them. My credit card company did it with little complaining. I then deleted the CC from the account.

Later I then opened a totally separate checking account at my credit union. I transfer money as needed into the account. So there is never more than an extra 2-3 dollars that could be grabbed by Paypal.

Last edited:
I stopped using PP because of this too! A few months ago someone somehow stole my bank account number and set up a paypal account under a different name with my account info. I found the charges on my account and notified the bank. I called PP and they basically told me too bad!

I'm a big fan of PayPal. When my wife and I were living apart and needed to transfer money back and forth (eg, me to her for her classes or her to me for the house fund) it was as simple as logging into PayPal and sending a gift. The same is true for buying things from people I know and trust (eg, coworkers and friends.)

Heck, I wanted to buy an used xbox controller from a coworker off our intranet forum classifieds but forgot to bring my wallet when we met before work. I asked if he minded if I paypal'd him and he said, "no." a little more than a minute on our phones and the money was sent.

I've only had one problem with a vendor (bought a text book from a kid who ended up sending me a bootleg, photocopied -- albeit very nicely spiral-bound -- version before flying back home to China - no joke) and PayPal refunded my money a couple of weeks later.

Had my issue not been resolved via PayPal, I then had Ebay (with whom I had already submitted an email complaint) and then finally my credit card company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
call them on phone.

Is that possible?

I guess I'm naive, but I thought that Ebay/PayPay had too much to loose by allowing 'Garbage' like this.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Google is your friend:

PayPal Customer service
1 (402) 935-2050
(Consumer)
1 (888) 221-1161
(Consumer)

33.gif

I was looking on the PP site, I guess that would be too easy.

The charge has been contested through my CC, PP now has 45 days to explain or forfeit.
grin.gif

This thread lacks too much detail to pass judgement. What were these charges? Why was the dispute closed so fast? What did the seller supposedly deliver that convinced Paypal so quickly?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
This thread lacks too much detail to pass judgement. What were these charges? Why was the dispute closed so fast? What did the seller supposedly deliver that convinced Paypal so quickly?

On my PP account the undisputed $10 charge is shown, but underneath is listed 'Related Charges'
and the amount of $143.
What these charges are, I have no idea.
I have studied the original Ebay listing and there were no hidden 'catches' it was just $10 and free shipping.
Of course, I stated my case and asked for an explanation from PP when filing for an unauthorized transaction resolution, but NOTHING was explained!
I have cut and pasted PP's ONLY email response (omitting my name and other personal info) in my OP.
They also (in the same email) said I could request documentation of their inquiry by writing to PP in Omaha. Which I have since done.
It was Two days after I was notified that the case is closed, that I received the multiple choice, customer satisfaction survey by email.

P.S. the Related Charges DID have a transaction # that was not accepted (in the box) on the PP resolution form. But I did note it, and refer to it, in my explanation on the form.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back