I had a particle count done analysis done and the results are as follows:

>=2 microns - 6413
>=5 microns - 2376
>=10 microns - 657
>=15 microns - 254
>=25 microns - 60
>=50 microns - 5
>=100 microns - 0

The oil used was Amsoil Series 2000 0w30, miles on oil 5012, Amsoil bypass filtration.

Those numbers are much higher than I would have predicted for a bypass filter, in fact we see unfiltered gear compartments that are cleaner.

Do you know if they did a dilution when they did the particle count or if they ran it straight? The reason I ask is some funny things can happen when doing a diluted particle count.

Mark

Before I installed an OilGuard bypass filter on a 2005 Camry 2.4L, I did a particle count so I can compare the before and after bypass.

Total of 4,800 miles on the car. The first oil change was at 1,200 miles.
The results from 3600 miles on Castrol GTX 5W/30 with a Bosch Premium oil filter:

>>2 Micron - 530
>> 5 Micron - 196
>> 10 Micron - 54
>> 15 Micron - 21
>> 25 Micron - 5
>> 50 Micron - 0
>> 100 Micron - 0

Blackstone did the test and said the ISO Code (3) was 15/14/12 (very clean for an engine oil) also the ISO Code (2) was 15/12.
smile.gif

One thing is that your still breaking in. This could take up to 10,000 miles or more. The other is that you just switched from conventional to synthetic. While you don't have many miles on the car there is still some natural cleaning the Amsoil would be doing.

Normally I don't recommend installing a by-pass until around 10,000 miles. This would give several oil changes and several flushes.

Also I usually do a run of synthetic without the by-pass prior installing.

Though I wouldn't take your system off, give it 10,000 miles then do a particle could. I'll be it's better with that by-pass filter on.

I would also be sure that the oil filter is working correctly.

does it get hot? Also be sure you get some long trips in, like 45minute to and hr. Short trips and by-pass filters don't work well together cuase the oil never gets thin enough to flow well.

How are you getting the particle count? The lab I send my samples to said that a dark sample could not be particle counted reliably.

Ideas?

Bob Weis

I think Stinky said that they dilute until translucent enough to do the PC ..factor the dilution multiplier.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back